Travelling With An Elderly Dog

Ok, I'm off on a little trip in August and I want to take my old lab with me. He's 12 and very unsteady on his back legs. I'm terrified if I leave him for the week he won't be here when I get back, he's no different to how his been for the last few months I just worry!

Anyway I was wondering if I'll be doing more damage then good? It's about a 4 hour drive and I'll happily stop as many times as he needs but thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas on how to make it more comfy for him.

Is it worth maybe getting him a steroid jab to give him something extra for the trip?

He is already on a daily pain killer?

Any ideas x

he happy travelling?...then i would do it with on a 4 hr trip 4 stops, every hour...and make him as comfy as possible..and drive carefully esp round corners..

I would not leave him but that is me....

I'm sure he'd love to come with you! 

Is he a good traveller?

Make sure he has as much room as possible to stretch and move around. You should also stop atleast every hour to let him stretch his legs. It would be helpful if you could lift him inside and out of the car, too, so he doesn't have to jump and potentially hurt himself.

What does he suffer from? Arthritis?

Thanks for replying! :)

I have no intention at all of leaving him I just want to check I'm doing the right thing for him as much as for me if you get what I mean.

Yes he has arthritis and also epilepsy. He's on metacam daily but struggles to walk more then round the block. He normally just wanders about the garden and lays by the tree when I'm at the field but loves being outside. Still managed to get his bum on the sofa when I'm out tho :/ lol

I always lift him in and out the car he can't get in there half anymore and hasn't been able to for some time.

The drive itself is about 3 hours but taking into account the stops it would mean travelling for around 4 in total.

Yeah, I'd talk to your vet (maybe even get multiple opinions) on whether or not they think it is safe for him to travel that long. 

The last time I went camping with Suka, we travelled 4+ hours (and let him out every hour or so to stretch). He had a bad arthritic flare up for the entire trip (thank goodness I packed his pain meds, the poor boy!). 

That's what's worrying me. Will I actually do more damage then good. He wouldn't go into kennels or anything if he doesn't come as my sister is just moving in to mine for the week and they all love her.

Will book into the vets and see what they suggest.

Going into kennels wasn't an option as I said.. Have never used them and don't even intend to.

He would be in his own home with my sister but I wouldn't be here which is what worries me as I know him better then anyone and would notice if something was wrong!

What I don't want to do is take him on a trip which makes it worse when he might be happier staying at home.

sorry must have misread that...if he is ok with your sister and s only a 3 hr drive then I can understand your dillema...

I would still take him with me...but as said before that is me

I had every intention of taking him until yesterday. Someone asked me what my plan was re my pups and I told them he was coming with me they said it was a selfish decision as he'd likely be happier at home. I've now started worrying and doubting my decision.

Vets said take him, yes he may be stiff but that could happen at any time with him anyway. She knows a good vet close to where I'm staying too and said if upping his meds for the few days before doesn't help I can pop him in down there and there are things they can do to help him feel more comfy.

So looks like he is coming with me :)

I had a 13 year old black lab who was my constant traveling companion.  If it looked like I was getting the Jeep ready for a trip she was setting at the back gate waiting.  She too had arthritis but was still able to get in the Jeep on her own, sometimes it was a case of get the front half in, take a break and then get the back half to follow - but she wanted to do it herself.

The problem with a Jeep is that there's no padding in the back so multiple stops were required to let her stretch her legs and every stop seemed to take forever with her getting out, wandering around and then getting back in - but like you, I wasn't about to leave her - one the one hand, I wasn't sure that I'd have a dog to come home to and on the other she'd have never forgiven me if I'd left her.

Take her with, she'll enjoy it and you'll have the peace of mind.

Taking her would be much better than leaving her and worrying haha, but just a information there are good animal hotels available if the vet doesn't think travel is good idea. Otherwise nice trip with him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had every intention of taking him until yesterday. Someone asked me what my plan was re my pups and I told them he was coming with me they said it was a selfish decision as he'd likely be happier at home. I've now started worrying and doubting my decision.

Sorry if I'm abrupt, but that someone doesn't know you and your dogs (and are possibly a bit full of themselves).  A dog who's not with their master/mistress is going to be unhappy.  So I think it's safe to say that he'd be happier with you.

Will he be uncomfortable, probably; would he rather be uncomfortable with you or unhappy at home?  If he could talk I don't think he'd even hesitate to answer that - he'd rather be with you. 

If someone thinks you're being selfish because you're concerned about your dogs ... they obviously don't have a dog.

It was just a mum and my kids school. I was a little taken aback as I don't know her that well and after that conversation I don't intend on changing that!

He's coming with me and will take his memory foam bed for him so he will be as comfy as is possible. :)

Thank you for the support everyone. Will post a few pics of Solo on his little holiday when we go in a few weeks :) x

• 4 weeks later...