Hamster

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to have two, all the way back when I was only eight years old. I made the mistake of keeping them in the same cage. They fought horribly and one of them died. Witta, the survivor, lived with me for several months until she succumbed to a disease. But even after that I grow familiar with hamsters as I help my neighbor care for her 20+ hamsters. What you need to know:

1) They are not cheap. The animal itself might be, but the equipments are not. Make sure the wheel you buy them doesn't have gaps where they can catch their feet in. The bedding, whatever it is called in English, needs to be changed every weekend or two. So is their drinking station. Pet stores make commercial hamster food, but they enjoy sunflower seeds as treats. They also need stuff to chew because their teeth don't stop growing. Usually people give them the center of a toilet paper roll, but my neighbor bought her hamsters this white rock-like thing that serves as a durable chew toy. Oh and of course, you can't just buy any cage. The cage needs to be as stimulating as possible. It needs to have tunnels, places to climb and places to hide (hamsters love to hide).

2) They are not friendly. I think people make the worst mistake when promoting hamsters as children's pets. They are, IMHO, the worst pet a child could have. They bite and they bite a lot. Several breeds (GAH the Roborovski!!) bite more than others. I got bitten quite a lot of times already to the point I got used to it. The friendliest in my experience is the Violet breed. "Friendliest" here means they only bite once a day max. Some breeds can develop same sex aggression. Study your breed of choice. However in every breed, pregnant or nursing females should be isolated from the rest of the "pack" as she will turn very aggressive.

3) They are noisy! They're nocturnal animals which means they run around their cage's tunnels and exercise on their wheel when you're sleeping.

4) Some breeds can trigger asthma. Now I no longer remember which. I used to be a pro in hamster ownership world as both my cousin and neighbor are breeders.

5) They multiply at the pace of rats. If you do not have the space and money to house 10-20 hamsters at once (their normal litter size) then either keep only one, keep a group of only one gender, or buy different cages for different hamsters.

EDIT: last but not least, make very very sure your hamster cage is not accessible by your Husky. Though once the dog learns of your hamsters' presence, she will try anything she can do to get a hold of them.

Hamsters need a cage somewhere quiet as they're nocturnal animals and do not like getting woken up!  Trust me!  :rofl:

You can normally buy complete cage set ups, complete with exercise wheel, little house to use as their bed area.   Water bottle, and food bowl.  their bedding is usually something soft that looks a bit like cotton wool.  Sawdust is normally used on the floor of the cage, although syrian's are very good at using one specific area to go to the toilet.  If you are after a syrian hamster, they don't like other hamsters too much.  They have a habit of fighting as I discovered at school!  They can be tamed considerably well though!  Snowy was my son's hamster but I used to put her on my shoulder and walk around doing housework with her just sitting there!  She never bit me, not in all of her 18 months of life.  Yeah they don't live too long sadly.  :(

They eat hamster food!  I can't describe it but this picture should give you a clue.....

0001292_400.jpeg

Well Liv i think to make animal farm home for some time but from different animals :) So i think to have only one hamster. About the tunnels..eh ? Climbing stuff ? I think i must make that "home made" somehow cos i never saw cage with tunnels at our pet shops O.o

emma as far as i know here we use Sawdust  for bedding,but not the tiny one,little bit larger than the one which is like a sand.Now i wonder about the cage

I just asked my gf to go to a pet shop and the prices are kinda cool for my fundings..i think i can have it once i establish his living place. That means that i already have wheel from a friend and the thing for water. Need only food bowl,some house as emma said,and something to climb? What to climb? xD Any ideas Liv ?

Aquarium or Cage ? How big should it be ? 

Noise? nah i wont care much about that :P

Bitting ? :/ That much ? Can you "teach" him somehow not to bit ? :D Emma said that her hamster didnt bit her :)

About food,the commercial one is not expensive at all,but i heard i can feed him with carrots,cabbage and stuff like that

Edit:

Emma,Liv,this is the bedding which i can buy here.

100_5050.jpg

Maybe Snowy isn't a Campbell or a Roborovski :) my neighbor's Violets are very tolerant and gentle honestly but handle it the wrong way, even if you don't know it, and she'd let you know. No, you can not teach them bite inhibition.

Aquariums are made for animals who live in the water. Hamsters need hamster cage.

About the tunnels, I'm sure your pet store has it. Just specifically mention to them that you're looking for a "hamster cage", not just "a cage".

post-2850-0-45159900-1404733869.jpg

post-2850-0-23713100-1404733875_thumb.jp

Umm Liv,i think these are too small :o I tought that i need something very very large.

I will try to find something like this.

But as far as i can see people keep their hamster in Aquariums xD

Pic links cos i cant post them as image :o

http://oi39.tinypic.com/fwsxi0.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9Y3DWRLTJLXBdKG0_hdN6x2r76nQlc8TzFGfB4p_InIZUiZtPPw

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/charleythomson/Mylo2-1.jpg

Snowy was a syrian hamster, I've found them to be much friendlier than the little ones, they can be little monsters!  Haven't got any pics of her but she looked like this one I found online.....

2177817831_d8a8cfb4a2.jpg

Only thing i will say is not to wake them up in the daytime.  you will see a head emerge from it's bedding, with jaws open wide and ready to attack!  lol.   Also wash your hands before handling as if you smell of food they will bite your fingers! lol.

edit:  haven't heard of keeping them in aquarium's.  Snowy would have been mad if I kept her there.  She used to like walking up the side of the cage on the bars, sometimes she even walked upside down along the roof of the cage! 

Her cage was basically like this one....

hqdefault.jpg

How many do you plan to have? What breed are you after? That first cage in my post is sufficient for a single hamster or two. The second one could house a family of 4-5 dwarf hamsters. Aquariums are okay to an extent, but the ultimate best IMO are those stimulating cages.

Indeed, Syrians are friendlier to humans but not friendly to other hamsters. Witta was a Syrian as well. Tiny ones are mean to you but friendly to other hamsters. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: are your parents okay with this? They're going to need a lot of maintenance and maintenance cost money. They're also noisy like I said. You might not mind the noise, but your parents might do. Plus, if you choose to have dwarf hamsters, I bet your parents won't be too pleased when they got bit for the first time.

I told you i plan to have only one hammster as i dont want them to kill each other xD One will be fine i think,it wound be unhappy right ? 

Aquarium with stimulating stuff is okay too i think.

Breeds,i need to visit lots of pet shops first to tell you what kind of breeds we have here,and then look for help which one to pick :)

Oops missed that. If you're going to have only one, then get a Syrian. They're quite awesome :) oh and by the way, do you have an exotic vet near you? Some regular vets might not know what to do with a rodent. Plus with their tiny bodies, they're very fragile.

Oh i just saw this. Well my father is okay with everything.

Im in room with my brother which dont mind animals too.

The noise wont be so lound to go from my to the other rooms right ? 

And why maintenance ? And yea they wont have contact with the hamster so it wont bite them xD

Maintenance is the bedding costs, which you need to change every weekend or two. The equipments might also break down. The wheel, usually. Not to mention the food and the treats. What about the vet costs? In case he/she got sick? Sometimes when you forgot to clean the water station, or didn't clean it too thoroughly, they will grow moss inside. I'd throw it away and buy a new one as the moss might house bacteria that infects the water. My cousin housed her hamsters in her living room. Her parents' room is at least twenty steps away. They heard them still.

Every weekend is nothing :) The bedding cost is 70 mkd which is 1 euro. I can cover all of the stuff. As my first wheel is for free :P 

About the vet,when Bella got sick i covered all the expenses,only my dad was the driver 5 days to the vets and hospitals but that wont be a problem.

If that happens again i still have some money on side which are meant for animals,like i called them "Animals savings" xD

Yea im young and unemployed,i want to find job only cos i want to have lots of animals. 

As long as i cover the "bills" for them my parents are okay. My mom only cares for the food as she dont want them starving,like Bella,she has food for the next 2 years and i need to freeze all the food :P 

Hmm Liv,i heard from some guy that they stink,is that true ? 

I owned one several years ago and I cleaned his cage and bedding twice a week  and even then there was still a icky smell so yes personally they do smell.

Hmm Liv,i heard from some guy that they stink,is that true ? 

They can be. Definitely not as bad as ferrets though. IMO the smell is subtle and is not really disturbing, as long as you change their bedding often. But that also means you don't want them inside your bedroom.

I am now going into mom-mode and I really apologize. Please don't take any offense to this. If you are currently unemployed and looking for work, I do not think it is a good decision to be buying another pet yet. If you want a hamster so much, there should be no issue waiting until you find the job you are looking for an have incoming cash to make sure you can keep up with the maintenance and any emergency costs that may arise. Savings are great, but without a cash flow coming in they will eventually run out and if it happens before you have a job then you will be really stuck. Another thing to think about is the lifespan of this creature. How long will you be living at home? Will you be moving out within the lifespan of your pets? Will they be moving out with you? Are you sure that wherever you live will allow you to keep them? Taking in a pet that may have to be rehomed a couple years into its life is unfair to the animal. Emergencies happen, of course, but knowing these things beforehand is a whole different issue. I love your enthusiasm and your obvious adoration of animals. Someday I think you will make a very loving and responsible pet owner. I just feel it may be jumping the gun a bit to start your "farm" when you are still living with your parents and are unsure of what is happening with the future. Like I said, mom-mode, so please don't feel offended by what I have said. I only bothered to add anything because I care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First I'm not offended at all :) I appreciate your care but i must say AGAIN that we have very very big culture differences. I can live in this home as much as i want and i wont be kicked at all,the question is do i want that ? No.

I will move to my 1st floor as fast as i can,that will be when i find some,any kind of job.My house is on 2 floors where im on the 2nd,and the 1st is empty.

If i run out of cash i can request some from my parents and they wont refuse me,well my father wont as my mom dont want to give any cash for pets/animals,she cares only for the food,buying making and that stuff.

I will answer all your question now: 

-As said above i will live here in the next 3 years for sure

-If i move,they move with me at the 1st floor.

-Someday i will have big farm indeed :) For now i can start with 1 husky and 1 hamster. At least i will have more knowings for later.

I don't think living at home for as long as you want is a culture thing , I could live at home forever if I wanted to my parents would never kick me out but that doesn't mean ( like you) I will want to stay here

However finding somewhere that allows pets can be VERY difficult and I would never move out if I had to rely on my parents for me that seems kind of fake

But yeah anyway I agree that maybe wait till you move out and are financially stable before adding any kind of animal to your household even something like a hamster which can be quite 'cheap' ( compared to a dog anyway)

Why you all think that i will move out ? I have very big yard,very big house on 2 floors separated with different entrances and i will live on the 1st floor.

And Nix,i said that cos i know many friends from USA who got kicked till 20,becouse they are old enought to handle themselves alone ? We dont have kind of stuff here,thats why i wrote that.

With half of empty house why am i supposed to search and rent/buy new home ?