Klee Kai

I just heard about a breed started in the 1970's. I'ts called an Alaskan Klee Kai and is a minature husky. Does anyone have any information on this breed? I worry that the breeding process damages the geneology of the husky? Am I being overly concerned?

Alan

Alaskan Klee Kais are not mini Huskies. That is the wrongest information anyone could give you. They are nicknamed mini Huskies due to their marking and coloring patterns. They are an entirely separate breed. Too new to be widely "distributed" to the public IMHO but sadly celebrities have picked up on them and started widely publicizing their existence :(

I've met one when I was in my LA trip. I think they're... to put it bluntly, ugly. It's almost like somebody took a Chihuahua, extended their legs a little and then painted it with Husky coloring :huh:

EDIT: more info, courtesy of the almighty Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Klee_Kai

Liv is right, totally separate breed. If I recall correctly though, they are in the same "spitz" category as huskies. I looked into the breed recently due to my mother seeing some silly "pomsky" puppy online somewhere and saying she liked it. I thought to myself... who would possibly breed those two dogs together and for what purpose? Understanding her love of the husky look and desire for a smaller size, I ran across a Klee Kai and they seem like a much wiser choice then an absurdly priced "designer" breed that should never have been attempted for a multitude of reasons. (Sorry, that was very opinionated of me, I mean no offense to anyone. I am just not a fan of how some of those dogs get marketed and overbred) I've seen a few that are super cute, but I haven't really seen many in person so far as I have not known about them for very long. 

I knew I would get to the truth here and I am not suprised by the responses. It appears that celebreties with absolutely no time for fans,children,animals,etc. would be the target group for ownership. (sorry I am very opinionated, if I have upset anyone please bear with me) It seems to me as another attempt to have something without any of the responsibility of ownership while still "looking" trendy. 

Alan

Since everyone's opinionated, let me join the party. I think it is unfair to promote, label, or even simply nickname this breed as "the mini Husky". It drives the general public to believe that mini Huskies exist. Thus, they believe that ridiculous first generation breed mix haphazard such as the ever-popular "Pomsky" is a real, legitimate breed. The Klee Kai is not created by simply dumping a male Husky and a female Schipperke together. They're carefully developed and researched for so many years so that they'd make healthy dogs with good temperament. This is what makes it unfair to call them a "mini Husky". Especially with tons of BYBs out there breeding a Husky with whatever small breed they could think of and label the deformed pups suffering from dwarfism as "mini Huskies".

I just heard about a breed started in the 1970's. I'ts called an Alaskan Klee Kai and is a minature husky. Does anyone have any information on this breed? I worry that the breeding process damages the geneology of the husky? Am I being overly concerned?

Alan

Can't see how the Alaskan Klee Kai can damage Sibes/Mals as they are now a totally separate breed - but are indeed related - see the claimed creator http://www.alaskankleekai.com/spurlin/history.htm

Personally, with being involved in sled dog rescue, my beliefs are that responsible ownership and breeding are a good thing - though both have tended to be undermined by the irresponsibility of some of the Breed Clubs and some breeders who take advantage of the silly money charged for pedigree dogs

But they definitely are cute - here's one that comes on our group walks

post-1633-0-74250200-1404717987.jpg

and this gives an idea of scale - he's fully grown

post-1633-0-76464600-1404718011.jpg

Whilst I don't have any opinion on this either way, well apart from the point I think all dogs, be it a husky or a jack russell should not be bred for money, just promotes greed.  Your link to Wikipedia Liv does state the Klee Kai was 'developed with Siberian and Alaskan Huskies' hence why they are nick named mini huskies I guess.

I'm not sure I'd waste my time worrying about what these dogs are labelled as, there are far more important things to think about :)

There was a breeder of Alaskan Klee Kais, that lived a short five minutes from me.  We looked at this breed when we still had Elke, our first Husky.  Everyone was calling them "Mini-Huskies", and for $1,500 to $3,000, why you could have your very own.  Upon further research, it became evident that all was not well with the breed.  There were medical issues with liver and eyes.  Also, it was quite common to see a pup that looked cute, and normal, only to see an out of proportion adult dog result.  Personalities are not intune with Siberian Huskies either.  Simply not fair to compare them to Huskies, and yet people do.  Hence the bad rap on both Klee Kais and Huskies.  I am so glad we came to our senses.  Crazy as it may seem, Siberian Huskies are the only breed for me.