Fishes!

So it looks like people are deeply fascinated by reptiles and rodents nowadays. But hey people, what about fishes? :D I know they're easily the most boring pet on Earth, but I grow up with them and currently have at least forty (I have tiny koi babies shorter than my pinky finger, can't count 'em) right now. So... yeah, they've grown on me :lol: I used to have a bunch of different 'breeds'. Ranging from common goldfishes to funky ones like the Black Ghost (love those little guys!). Then we moved house and gotta re-home all of our fishes (we also have at least forty back then) along with the tanks and other equipments. Our new home came with two small, shallow ponds that my dad chose to fill with cheap kois. Little did I know, kois are full of character. They're social, smart and pretty much an escape artist. During their first week home, I had to react fast whenever I heard a SPLASH noise because I know it means a koi has tried to escape the pond (yes, they jump out). Sometimes they end up swimming in the filter. Some other times they end up down on the ground. Most of these escape artists I managed to save, but there's been one or two that didn't make it. My dad's new batch of kois now inhabiting the new deep pond never escapes, but still jumps up like a dolphin from time to time. They also sometimes do a barrel roll while swimming for no reason at all (though I've heard it's to relieve an itch). Kois will learn, rather quickly in fact, that when humans loom on top of their pond it means food is in its way. They'd then swarm on the surface, opening their mouth wide and pushing each other around. Considering how I have a "pack" of about twenty in each pond, feeding time is quite entertaining to watch. Then, there's Kaoru.

Kaoru is a part of my dad's first batch of kois. She's a low-quality Showa with a black face, thick patches of orange markings and small white parts here and there on top of the body. If she's still alive today, she'd be about eight years old (my cousin says fishes with a more pronounced head are females). My living eight-year-old fishes are now larger than my thigh. They're estimated to be at least three kilos (6.6 pounds) in weight. Kaoru was already a large pot-belly at age two. I couldn't imagine how large she must be today, had she survived the two-day long power cut. Anyways, why would I name one koi fish and not the other thirty plus? Because the other thirty plus doesn't come when called, and doesn't eat from my hands. Kaoru did. All I need to do is make a small circular motion with my hand on one part of the pond, and she'd come swimming in full speed. She's always been like that. It's not like there's a way to train a fish anyways. I find it odd, since the other fishes really couldn't care less. So I started rewarding her with food every time she did it. At first, she was hesitant. She'd snatch the pellet and swim away hastily. But given time, she grew extremely gentle and patient. I remember how she'd very carefully extend her lips (fun to watch LOL looks like she's puckering it up) and gently take the pellet off my fingers. She was my ultimate party trick. "Hey, come look at this odd fish!" :) the guests just can't get enough of her.

As time goes by, the other fishes start to learn that Kaoru earns more food than they do. They started copying her behavior. But though I soon have a swarm of fishes that dashed to where I was standing when I make that circular motion, none ever made it to my hands. Only Kaoru. Just that one odd fish. One male Kohaku (traditional red and white koi) then started snatching away pellets like Kaoru did when she was still fearful, but he never grew as gentle as she did. I named the Kohaku, too. But now all I remember is; it's a unisex Japanese name starting with the letter "M" :shrug: sadly he didn't survive the power cut either. He, and Kaoru, passed on along with 18 other fishes that day. I still miss them a bit. Odd me :shrug:

I'm moving to a non pet-friendly student housing in a short while. But they've stated that they do allow fishes. I wish I could wrap one of my "koi collection" and keep them in a fishbowl LOL they're the ultimate best of all kinds of fish breeds :) (( meaning: I still miss ya Kaoru! Love ya girl xx ))

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awww. I used to have a black knife fish, that I named ghost. "He" was really cool but one day I found him dead in the tank. It was a very sad day. [emoji22]

This isn't him but shows you what they looked like!  Love their little quivering bottoms!  :wub:

Black-Ghost-Knife-Fish.jpg

I used to own five of 'em :D they're rather hard to care for though. I still don't know what did I do wrong. Suddenly they died one by one :huh: wondering if they're still cheap? I could totally keep one in a fishbowl in my dorm room :lol:

We have a tank in the front room. Unfortunately there are no fish in it anymore. The other day I cleaned all the tank out and refreshed it just the same way as I normally do. The following day I came home from work to find all the fish dead. I have no idea how or why so I think I'll just stick to huskies from now on :(

Gary.

I am into fish...it was my hobby for a long time. i had up to 15 Tanks running at one time. Mostly 4 ft long tanks( 75-90 gallons) i Kept mostly cichlids and some rare shrimps to expensive betas. Since i've gotten panda though i havent had enough time to really take care of them so i shut down most of my tanks except a 125 Gallon show tank. 

Here are some of my lot :) these ones inhabits the pond in our front yard. They're also the largest, oldest and fattest. The vaguely seen fish pointed by the red arrow largely resembles Kaoru. I wanted to take a good pic of just her but with fishes, you can't really ask them to sit still and pose :shrug:

post-2850-0-31689500-1404728475_thumb.jp

I definitely need some of these. I'm a Pisces and I always adored koi because they resemble the fish most people use when creating pictures or jewelry for that zodiac sign. Atleast I think that is where it came from, lol. Either way, I think the are so pretty and soothing. I have a pond I am going to put in the new front yard when I get all moved and settled. I might have to wait until next year to put any fish it though. And I am not sure what you are supposed to do with them in the winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got two planted tanks at the moment. One is 8 gallons, the other 28g long. I love my tanks, I think the one in my living room is beautiful and I love the animals I have in there. I think my whisker shrimp are my favourites in there. They are an aggressive shrimp species which like hunting my fish. I occasionally see them catching and eating my cherry shrimps, but I have an army of cherries so I'm not bothered by it.

Other animals in there, one assassin snail, four amano shrimp, two bristlenoes plecs, four mountain minnows, nine danios, one female red honey gourami, two otos, four cories and eight neon tetras (I had nine, but one died yesterday, caught my shrimps fighting over the body). I know it's a little overstocked, but I have a larger filter that takes care of it. I've had the tank over a year now, lost a few fish but it's doing very well.

The other tank is full of cherry shrimps, has four nerite snails (tank is in natural light all day, algea got a little out of control) and has my two naughty male guppies in there.

vgwoaWm.jpg

I have a couple of standard goldfish. I had 3 til yesterday and one was floating upside down.I also have a tank of swordtails and neons and some other little things but these are temporary as they really belong to the nursery I work in and they are with me for their summer holidays. The cleaners have a tendancy to over feed and kill them so I wasn't taking any chances this year

• 4 weeks later...

I do like fish too, and a maybe two years back I had a nice red beta with red spots on his fins. I can't remember his name but he was a nice fish. I had him for two years or so and got him at a local pet store so he wasn't a expensive one.. Though I understand definately about the feeding, took me a while to do the same with mine though. He ended up passing away right infront of me.. He just slowly settled down on the bottom of the tank to look at me and then stayed there motionless.. Was so gutted! He was in my room from the start cause I didn't want him around a high traffic area.

post-11588-0-36734000-1407019018_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I love fish!  You can do so many amazing things with tanks.  I'd love to try a salt water aquarium but I'm really worried about it as I've heard they can be really finicky.  I've had bettas and fresh water tropical tanks.  I'd love to do a Koi pond and have a great spot-just not sure how that would go with the dogs! 

I have a friend who has a really nice Koi pond and she's got Koi that she's had for decades.  They've even moved with her from state to state when she's changed jobs.  They are gorgeous! 

Hidden

We had a male and female betta in our 29 gal a while back. They never took issue with each other and actually spent the vast majority of their time together. One day I found the female in the back of the tank. The male stopped eating that day, no matter what I dropped in for him. There wasn't any visible health issue, and he lasted for about 2 weeks before finally wasting away. 

I don't know that fish grieve, but its a nice thought. I called them my romeo and juliet fish.

Silly question but are Betta the same thing as what we in the UK call Siamese fighting fish? They do look pretty much the same but I'm not sure?

Yep, exactly the same. You can't keep males together because they are more then likely going to fight to the death. Females can live together if you introduce them properly so no one can claim their own territory.

here is my 210 gallon I use to have up and running. Definitley my best tank ive had i think. I use to raise and breed Discus as well but the place I live at currently doesnt allow me to do so. I will for sure be setting up some tanks when I buy my first home.

These are all mainly Central American Cichlids too. It was a sad day when I had to shut this tank down and sell it. But oh well. Another husky on its way will keep me plenty occupied and happy.

I for sure want to set up a large Discus in the wall tank with all live plants and driftwood when I can do so one day.

Here is a 190 gallon acrylic south american tank i had as well.

We were into tropical fish keeping at one point (during my childhood..wow I sound old). We had clown loaches, danios, tiger barbs etc. But after a while we grew disheartened at how frequently they would die despite the measures we would take. These days we keep two land-hermit crabs as pets...lot of character considering that they're crabs after all. We've had them now for 4 years and they're the longest living pet we've had besides our dog several years ago. I recommend them to anyone who's looking for tank-dwelling animals which are also extremely low maintenance and interesting to look at.

Thank you Zanki and Jaimie.  I wonder why we call them siamese fighting fish instead of Betta's?  Mind you it's a bit like we call GSD's "Alsatians" which I believe started in WW2 or so I've been told. History not really my strong point and more of a rhetorical question than anything else. :)

I may or may not pick up a goldfish in two weeks. Maybe a Black Moor. Maybe a standard orange one.

Don't get a goldfish for your tank. They need a lot of water and space to be happy and it will outgrow your tank. I would possibly go for another betta or try getting a small group of neons or danios for it. I've actually got a male guppy in my 8g tank at the moment (he killed his two friends the other week, my old guy Trip and his young friend, so now it's just him. I'm upset about Trip, I'd had him nearly a year, last of my first group of guppies). Danios and guppies, especially guppies are very friendly and will come over to greet you when you go near the tank and wave your hand in front of it.

Don't get a goldfish for your tank. They need a lot of water and space to be happy and it will outgrow your tank. I would possibly go for another betta or try getting a small group of neons or danios for it. I've actually got a male guppy in my 8g tank at the moment (he killed his two friends the other week, my old guy Trip and his young friend, so now it's just him. I'm upset about Trip, I'd had him nearly a year, last of my first group of guppies). Danios and guppies, especially guppies are very friendly and will come over to greet you when you go near the tank and wave your hand in front of it.

Aw, even a teeeeeeny tiny little goldfish? :( Alright.