Hannspree (Sn1At71Bue)

That's a 10" tablet I ordered last night.  I can't afford "top of the line" products (hell, I can't even afford middle of the line stuff!) so I've been looking at less expensive alternatives.

The reviews on this seem decent, some down but most good. 

Specifications:

• Part Number:
    - SN1AT71BUE
  • Operating System:
    - Android 4.1
  • CPU:
    - ARM Cortex-A9 Quad-Core Processor
    - 1.2 GHz
  • Memory:
    - 1GB
  • Storage:
    - Internal: 16GB (NAND FLASH)
    - External: Micro-SD x1, Max. 32GB
  • Display:
    - 10.1" (16:10) IPS Screen
    - Max Resolution: 1280x800
    - LED Backlight
  • Camera:
    - Front and Back
  • WLAN:
    - IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
  • Interfaces/Ports:
    - Microphone: Built-in
    - Speakers Output: 2x 1W
    - Headphones Output: 1x 3.5mm
    - USB: Micro-USB 2.0 x1
    - HDMI Output: 1x Mini HDMI
  • Card Reader:
    - Yes
  • Bluetooth:
    - Yes
  • Battery:
    - 3.7V Li-Polymer, 6000mAh
  • Dimensions:
    - 179.9mm x 9.8mm x 263.2mm

So, my question - since I've never had an Android anything - what am I getting into?  I want one for the convenience of not having to drag a very old laptop around when I'm travelling or just to have a computer when I go into town.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al,

It should serve you well as I use mine all the time and it makes my Laptop redundant for most tasks, (except for Microsoft based development work of course)!

Android takes a little getting used to, (especially when you start to use the various 'file managers', (to find those documents you recently downloaded), but you will enjoy the simple 'pick up and use' functionality - as oppose to the 'wait for 2 to 4 minute boot up' of your average Laptop)!

Portability is excellent and, (depending on connectivity), you can watch videos, TV and listen to music whilst you travel.

I only have blue tooth and wireless connectivity but I use my S5 as a '4G mobile hotspot' whilst out and about for Internet access.

Some things could be improved upon, (due to none Microsoft OS components - that we have become accustomed to), unless you are an Apple devotee of course!

Enjoy your new toy - I mean tool!

Thanks for the feedback Martin, of course I'd like to have the greatest, ahem, tools on the market, but the pocket book only goes so far and this looked like the best of the compromises between quality and cost.

Apples are great, granny's are good but I like nothing better than a Washington Macintosh ...

Martin, I thought I knew a little about Linux (hence Android) but I'm already getting irritated! (by my ignorance)

I don't have an SD Card (except the 12GB internal) have installed two ebook readers, copied a few books over and I can't find them and neither can either program.

Do you use an ebook reader and where can I put books so that they're found.  \mnt\media seems to be locked and that's where one of them says it's looking for files.... well, shoot!

On similar topic, I use notepad++ do you know of an equivalent / similar program for android??

HELP!!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!  There's this old saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks.  And I've been a Windows player ever since Windows 3.0.

Got the tablet in today and it's an Android device ... I don't have a whole lot of hair left and I'm losing more!  Even FireFox looks and acts a lot differently on the tablet!  (It offered me Tapatalk but I decided against that from what I've seen here!)

I'm just trying to get it set up so I have something to use when I'm not at home and something I can stash a few books on so I can have something to read when either the lights go out or I'm out and about.

And I'm going nuts!!!!!!!!

'course I've only been playing with it for about 5 hours ..... off and on

Edited by Al Jones

Ah the 'joys' of bonding with a new piece of technology!

I sympathise with your issue with file locations - this always takes some getting used to.

I am currently on train from London heading back home to Nottingham and I then have to drive up to Lincoln, (to pick up a wrought iron gate for our new house), and I will try and provide you with a little additional assistance when I get back home!

Also hoping that my MIG Welder arrives soon so I can start learning to weld, (restoring an old metal archway)!

Not sure what kind of book reading program you downloaded on there but normally you wouldn't have to deal with the underlying filesystem. But if you really have to, normally stuff gets saved in /storage/sdcard0 (it *may* differ per device? It should be somewhere in /storage anyway). This folder is what you can consider the 'My Documents' folder. You can make a new folder in it and store everything in there.

Al, get a file manager like Total Commander ;) makes it way easier to find stuff! It can also do music playlists ;)

As for making notes you could try the free Wunderlist. You also get a program for your PC so you can sync the files between devices :) WPS Office or Polaris office is good for other more complex needs like Word or Exel files ;)

As for the ebook reader, mine seem to have disappeared :( the one I currently use is the local online shop's that I buy books from.

The tablet sounds good enough for use, it will however take some time to get used to Android... there's a lot of irritating things to get used to, trust me!!!

Overall the best browser I found on it was Chrome ;) not that I'm a fan of it...

EDIT: the ebook reader is Aldiko, it usually puts all you new books o the 'shelf' automatically, no need to go find them ;)

Got Aldiko ... didn't like it so went for Moon+ reader instead. 

Irritating - I can find books on Google Drive (MyDrive) but the app can't find them when I put them on the tablet. 

I think one of the things that irritates me most is that there isn't an "exit" from a lot of things.  I find myself going to the (unlabeled) main screen, holding the program icon and "remove from list" which doesn't tell me if it's stopped or just not displaying!

I can get on the web, I can read book (off mydrive ) so it's doing what I really wanted it to.  I can't say I'm happy but I guess it'll get easier and make more sense with time.

"a lot of irritating things to get used to" man, is that an understatement!

Just for the question, why are so many folders locked or inaccessible.  /sdcard/Books which is where *I'd* expect to find the books is locked ...

Al'

Kobo Reader or Kindle for Android.

Also get Calibre book management program. whatever format your book reader needs you can convert it with Calibre.

Note taking Evernote is the best and free.

I'll look at Kobo - I wasn't too impressed with th windows version but maybe there's some magic in the Android version.

As far as Calibré goes, I did some work for Kovid a few years ago.  Let me simply say that the application is way too big for what it does - it follows the classic definition of bloatware.  It amazes me that since Kovid assumes the front position, that everyone assumes that Calibré is his (with the exception of the add-ons that he finally allowed to hook into his system).  I have no use for either the person or the program and I'll now drop it at that.

Where's the Android Apps for Dummies book???

Cindy, thanks for that, I've read a couple of chapters and it looks like t could help ... now if I can just wrap my old brain around my new toy!

Yeah, it's a lot to get used to...it took me a couple of months before I would rather use the tablet than the laptop ;)

Also, it's easier if you first had an Android cellphone to struggle with! :D

And at least you're willing to learn something new! Most 'old' people I know wouldn't even bother getting anything else than a Nokia brick phone! :rofl:

Now you wait just one gosh darn minute there!! *I* can call myself old, I might just get offended if you do!!! << sheesh, the gall of some people!! :) >>

I've been going through your link with tablet in hand so there's some hope there.  Since there's a whole lot of territory here where I don't have any type of connection to the web, trying to operate under the idea of putting stuff "in the cloud" so it'll be there when I want it just a little daunting.  I have WiFi here at the house, and several business in town have open WiFi setups, but in the 18 miles between home and town (or the 80 miles between home and the city) there's nothing!  The hump I'm trying to get over is being able to put files on the tablet and then access them from the apps.  Finally worked it backwards by dumping some books on it and then double tapping the book, which brought it up in the reading app.

Yeh, it is going to take some getting used to ...

Edited by Al Jones

Hey, I said most 'old' people I know :D If the shoe fits... :P:rofl:

Actually you don't sound old, you sound very young spirited! ;) And it's not like you're in a retirement home...yet! :evil:

I admire you for taking the time to learn this stuff! Most non-teenagers (see there, better???) here don't learn anything about using new technology, my neighbours who are 65-ish can't even send a text message on the phone!

And yes, unfortunately a tablet is very internet intensive ;) it wants to do everything online, even if you just want to play games ;)

The one thing that irritates me the most is no delete button when entering text...only a backspace! :(

[...]

I think one of the things that irritates me most is that there isn't an "exit" from a lot of things.  I find myself going to the (unlabeled) main screen, holding the program icon and "remove from list" which doesn't tell me if it's stopped or just not displaying!

[...]

In Android when you hide an app it's usually still running in the background with its state saved. As soon as it needs to free up some memory it'll close down the app (but still have the state saved in memory) so the next time you open that app you will still be back to the last screen even though it was actually closed. The point that Android wants to make is that you shouldn't care about background programs, it'll take care of that for you. The multitask screen (what you call the unlabeled main screen I presume) is where you can see the last states of the apps you have used. This does not always mean they are actually still running in the background.

I don't do this very often, normally it's the other way round.  I wasn't sure which of the "microSD" memory cards I needed (since they come with all sort of labels fore and aft) so I called Hannspree.  Now the wait was a bit, probably upwards of 4-5 minutes.  Ended up speaking with a "support rep" whose English was good enough I had to ask where he was.  He (and the call center) are located in India and from a quick exchange, *his* English isn't considered that good by the company so he's in school for part of the day. 

What really impressed me was when he asked if I was looking at a web site (I was - Directron.com, from whom I buy most computer parts) so he brought up their web site, looked at a couple and then suggested the one that I was already looking at.

Good service! all the way 'round!!

Now, I've talked to people in Pakistan, India, the Phillipines, England & Scotland, central America and there are some that I just hang up on ... they may think they're speaking English, but the accent is so thick that I can't understand them (and I have a pretty good ear for most except the Scots :) )  When I get frustrated, it really has to be bad!!

Only just seen this soz Al anyway...

Like yourself I been around awhile and think Android is by far the easiest platform I have every used and by far the best once you get get used to and there lathe the problem you have and I was the same so do as I do and still do learn it all from youtube if you wanna know its by far the best and easiest way IMO :)

By all means continue to ask in here I'll jump in if I can help :)

Enjoy :) 

Oh, c'mon now Dunc I was starting High School when you were born boy!

I've gotten it to do most of what I want, so I'm okay with it.  What irritates me is that for a quad core, the thing is slow!  When I tap an icon, I'd really like to see some indication that it's doing something, as it is it seems to take 15 - 30 seconds before the program is on screen. (on tower or laptop, I can at least see the drive light)

My bank doesn't have a dedicated program but have found  decent "budgeting" program that's simple and opens and imports the banks downloads (qif files).

I've got a decent enough book reading program on it and a few books, can now read myself to sleep again.  It surprised me when it popped up after an hour or so and said I should take a break and let my eye's rest - and then went into a minute countdown.

As I've noted from some other comments on "review" web sites, the speakers are weak, even at "full volume" it's pretty low.  Even though my hearing isn't what it once was (and tinnitus doesn't help there!), I can still hear the birds outside and the coyotes playing in the brush. For the price I paid for tablet, however, it's acceptable.

I've got Skype on it but so far the one person I know with Skype isn't answering his "phone" and I'm not going to pay for any of their "Plans" till I'm comfortable with how it works.  'course, at the moment I don't know what I'm doing (or trying to do) so that's pretty much academic. ( considering speakers, I'll probably invest in external headphone / microphone in the not too far distant future.)

I am surprised to find that it apparently has no built in GPS.  I didn't ask or even look since I assumed it would be there.  If it is there, it's well hidden.

It's interesting that I can get things at the play store on the tower and install them on the tablet with no connection between the two ... I won't even wonder about the magic involved in that, I'll just accept that the fairies know what they're doing.

I've spent some time moving things from the 1gb main memory to the internal 16gb SD card (and have a 32 "external" SD card on order)

All in all it's workable for what I wanted. 

Glad you're finally getting to grips with it Al'

Oh yeah and if you get a night clock app it makes an awesome HUGE clock for the bedroom :D

LOL why Al' so you can accurately know how long it is that you haven't been able to get to sleep, and just how short a time there is left before you have to get up :P

It knows where to send the apps because you are logged into your Google account on the computer ;)

If you had more than one Android device, the desktop version of Play store would ask you which device to send it to... notice how they know more about us than we keep track of???

Glad to hear you're starting to enjoy it!

Bummer about no GPS though!!! I also assumed all of them have that built in these days ;)

LOL why Al' so you can accurately know how long it is that you haven't been able to get to sleep, and just how short a time there is left before you have to get up :P

But if I'm not tired I just stay up ... and what's with "before you have to get up" remember I'm retired and if I don't feel like getting up I don't ( till the mutts really start to telling me they want out! :) )