Does Your Husky Like To Be Carried?

So recently ice has just laid in the garden when ive just gone to bring him in and he will lay in the easiest position to pick him up and WILL NOT BUDGE. So i always pick him up and bring him in, the minute hes in he will fiddle to get put on the floor and run to the sofa to lay down.. bare in mind guys hes 2 next month today and is MAHOOSSIVE. Do any of your huskies like to be carried? :P

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine hates it. He tolerates being carried but he hates, hates, hates, hates it. He's just so good at hating on it in silence :lol: I've been using it as some sort of a punishment, in fact. When he stops dead on his walks demanding to follow his own route, I'd pick him up and carry him as a last resort action. Meaning, it's my ultimate weapon against this one Husky's rebellion. Often, this is what happens:

Diamond: *suddenly puts on the brakes and stops*

Me: No. Walk.

Diamond: *wears his stupid happy grin* I wanna walk that way

Me: No, not today. Come on.

Diamond: *holds onto the ground as if glued on it* NO! I wanna walk THAT way.

Me: I'm gonna pick you up!

Diamond: Okay, okay. *walks five steps* I WANNA WALK THAT WAY! *stops again*

Me: ARGH! I'm picking you up! *picks dog up and start walking*

****thirty steps later****

Me: Changed your mind?

Diamond: Yep, yep, yep. Put me down.

Me: *bends over to put dog down*

Diamond: *kicks around like mad* Hurry up! Put me down! Put me down! Put me DOWN!

Me: Alright, there you go. Wanna be carried all the way?

Diamond: Nooopeee

Me: (( this one, I really actually factually tell him every single time )) If you don't want to be carried, then walk your own little legs!

Diamond: *walks like a good boy* (( this one, is also really actually factually what happens right after))

I have picked up Sasha one time - when I brought her home from being spayed, she was too druggy to get in the Jeep on her own so I lifted her in.  Otherwise it's "all four on the floor" and that's where *I* (Sasha) want them!  I haven't needed to pick her up and I honestly don't know how she'd respond.

Avalanche will let me lift him, but he's not enthused about it.

I think we need to train them to allow us to pick them up when it's needed but I also think that most of us (canine and human) are happier when it's "all four on the floor".

Kodiak HATES it and will not let me pick him up. Nikko will tolerate it though. And I think Yukon actually loves it. When I first got him when we would take Nikko for walks I would carry him for half the walk and he was perfectly content

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Storm weighs almost 33kgs so no. I wouldn't pick him up! Alex has done but he doesn't like it much. As a pup he did.

Angel is 26kgs and I can't pick her up either Alex does and she tolerates it.

Aurora I can pick up and she hates it always has done. It confines her and she doesn't like that.

Of our 4:

1 loves (luckily, the littlest!) being picked up

1, my boy, tolerates absolutely anything without objecting - can't say he "likes" being picked up but never complains if I do so

1, is OK with it but makes it clear she doesn't like it

1 hates it and struggles - but she's GSD not Husky

Chula will tolerate it but doesn't like it. She usually tries to bite at my hands. The only time I pick her up is when she's being really naughty outside and won't come in...and to be honest it's been awhile. I did have to pick her up to get her out of the car after her tooth surgery because she was so drugged but that doesn't really count.

I guess the boyfriend picks her up to weigh her on the bathroom scale every once in awhile

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I weight Nikko and Yukon with the bathroom scale, but Kodiak flat our refuses LOL. 

And Nikko is really stubborn in the mornings.  When it's time to go upstairs he will just lay on his back and paw at me when I tell him it's time to go.  So if I am in a hurry I will pick him up and carry him up the stairs lol.  It's not easy carrying 55lbs of husky!!!!

I do workout squats while carrying Jelly's 50 lbs of bodacious-ness.

She doesn't mind being carried though so it's all fun and games :)

I usually only carry her when I'm at the beach and the sand's hot/squats/ vet's office :P.

Last time I had to pick up my huskies... Daughtry had been speyed and I lifted her into my dads boot... Whilst quite preggers myself... And I lifted Darwin after malakai had attacked him and he couldn't walk... I don't make a habit of it cos my dogs are heavy and they don't enjoy it

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk