Two Items: Bump On Puppy Private Area / Maggot Eating

Hello!

I am back with more dog problems and hoping for some advice. This time regarding my 3+ month old female puppy Ahri. This morning when I let her out to do her business she went to her usual area. My 4 year old Odin was being lazy so I turned around to go into my room and wake him up to go outside as well. When I finally got Odin up and outside with me Ahri was over near the trash barrels. On the ground there was an old yogurt container that had little white maggots all around it...she was eating the maggots. I googled it and everything I have read online has said that this will not cause a dog (even a puppy) any harm but I am still a little bit in panic mode as I had to go to work today as I was out sick yesterday. Should I be alarmed? I honestly don't think she got any of the yogurt remnant (but maybe). Web says maggots cannot survive in a dogs stomach and the acid would just kill them.

Second question is I was scratching her belly last night night and noticed some bumps. None of them looked alarming to me but the one closest to her private area - picture attached. Anyone have any idea what that is/have dealt with something like that before? She has a vet appointment the middle of next week but wondering if I should bump it up due to these two scenarios.

post-2994-0-23922200-1401977433_thumb.jp

Jon, in re the maggots, I wouldn't worry overly much - they're a good source of protein and harmless.  They're also a good food source for humans in crisis situations ( more than you wanted to know, I know ).  Even if she did get into some yoghurt I wouldn't be too concerned, that's another of the probably harmless (or beneficial, even) foods that she could have gotten into.

That bump you're looking at, to me, looks like the reaction from a bite of some kind.  Possibly a flea or just possibly something in the yard.  Since you have a vet appt next week, I'd just keep an eye on it - if it's a reaction to something nibbling on her then it should go away (today's Thursday, yeh) by Saturday at the latest.

Jon, in re the maggots, I wouldn't worry overly much - they're a good source of protein and harmless.  They're also a good food source for humans in crisis situations ( more than you wanted to know, I know ).  Even if she did get into some yoghurt I wouldn't be too concerned, that's another of the probably harmless (or beneficial, even) foods that she could have gotten into.

That bump you're looking at, to me, looks like the reaction from a bite of some kind.  Possibly a flea or just possibly something in the yard.  Since you have a vet appt next week, I'd just keep an eye on it - if it's a reaction to something nibbling on her then it should go away (today's Thursday, yeh) by Saturday at the latest.

Per usual Al, very helpful and quick with your response. Thank you sir!! I will now be able to get through my work day not hanging on the edge of my seat.

My Yorkie gets that, especially in summer and if she gets fleas. I wouldn't worry about it too much but do try and give her something for the relief. More like a pimple than anything else. I found raw aloe vera from the plant helped her a lot because the more she licked the worse she made it. the vet will probably give you cortisone.

Won't comment on the maggots....dogs will be dogs!

Al said what I was going to lol.  I also don't think you have anything to worry about with the maggots...Mine have eaten all kinds of disgusting things!  From dead frogs (and live ones), snakes, etc.  As for the bumps, it could be nothing, but I would just ask the vet.  Unless you see them get sore, or spreading I don't think you need to move the vet appointment up. 

Just had to go checking to make sure and he's a quote from a vet in Canada on pets.ca

Eating maggots, while a very repelling image, usually will not cause any lasting harm in an immunocompetent individual. Obviously, what maggots eat to sustain themselves can be vile and infectious. If no vomiting/diarrhea/fever shortly after ingestion (48 to 72 hours), then no harm done.

Dr. Van Lienden