Diabetic Dogs? Please Help

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope she is doing better. I just got done showing her to my parents yesterday (her photo I mean) because I think she is so gorgeous. Maybe its just a matter of evening everything out so she can get back to feeling like her normal self. Will be wishing for good things to come your way. 

Saskia was at vets on Friday for her checkup and Dr Phil ( yes thats his real name lol )  was happy with her but a little concerned about her having the fits its something in her brain and there is nothing they can do about that at her age :( so as it stands we now know what to expect when she has them and know there is not a great deal we can do for her but comfort her through it, they say she might not have another one this year but might be tomorrow we/them have no way of knowing.If they are sporadic in coming and she does not get worse she should be fine but they also say more once a week or more we are going to have to start thinking of having her PTS to stop her suffering any more than she has to.:(

Anyway all of the above is BULLSHIT because she here at the side of me right now looking as healthy as she always has and going nowhere :)

I didn't read the entire thread but I got the up and down sense of it.

I manage a diabetic cat and have the up and down days as well.

DKA was one of THE most difficult things I watched my cat endure. I almost put him to sleep because I couldn't watch him suffer (behind my husband's back and this is his favorite cat).

I really hope your challenge with this lovely girl runs smoothly...

as long as you know that the fits can happen you know now what to expect...better the being in the dark about them...

Last week I shit myself when it happened and been scared every morning since but she's been fine :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just A quick update ...

On Wednesday Saskia had another fit and it took her 3 days to get over it fully she went for her checkup on Friday and her insulin is working fine but they are a little worried about the tumor that is causing the fits  just saying all we can do is monitor it :(

She is fine now and was running around at the weekend which was nice to see :)

:huskyhugs: Sending out all our love to you all.

It's incredibly hard watching your older dog get unwell because let's face it, when they're younger you go to the vets and they 'fix them'. It doesn't work quite that way with older dogs and sometimes you just feel so helpless. What do you do? What CAN you do? The reality is not very much but keep them calm and content. That's a bitter pill to swallow sometimes.

Our Brooke's 13 now which for a staffy is pretty good going but now she really is up and down herself, albeit in different ways. When she has a good day it means so much more, it shows that there's still some life left in the old girl. [emoji1]

:huskyhugs: Sending out all our love to you all.

It's incredibly hard watching your older dog get unwell because let's face it, when they're younger you go to the vets and they 'fix them'. It doesn't work quite that way with older dogs and sometimes you just feel so helpless. What do you do? What CAN you do? The reality is not very much but keep them calm and content. That's a bitter pill to swallow sometimes.

Our Brooke's 13 now which for a staffy is pretty good going but now she really is up and down herself, albeit in different ways. When she has a good day it means so much more, it shows that there's still some life left in the old girl. [emoji1]

Thank you for that Emma xxxx

She been really well this week going to give her a treat at the weekend on the beach :)