Diabetic Dogs? Please Help

Hi all

Some sad news am afraid. Saskia.....who is kimba and kaisers mum...... has been diagnosed with diabetes :(

Sue and dunc have taken her to the vets today and just found out and have asked me to post this thread to see if anyone has any experience with this in canines.

Her bloods were 28.6 which is stupidly high. She is back at home now with a lovely orange bandage on but is going back to spend the day at the vets for them to try and regulate her sugar levels.

Please can anyone offer dunc and sue some first hand experience on this?

Here is the gorgeous girl .....

ra9edane.jpg

sent via husky howls from my mobile

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I haven't got too much to offer. bear is at risk of diabetes due to her meds. We were told to watch out for an increased need to urinate and increased thirst. pretty much the same as In humans really. Hope the vets can get her regulated soon. I would imagine once she's stable, the main thing to keep an eye on would be her diet? Hope someone else can offer better info.

Sending out big hugs to you all. :huskyhugs:

Aww this is sad news :0(

I am diabetic myself and control it with diet (shhhh don't tell my nurse about the red wine lol) so have no need to take medication and am quite well, I'm not sure if this works the same in dogs? I hope she gets sorted soon

xx

Well trying to get over the shock. We are back to the vets tomo morn , they are going to determine what levels of insulin she needs, when we pic her up they will show us how to inject her with her insulin twice a day.

She has had incredible thirst but not urinated any more. 

Taking the day off work tomo so I can settle Wolf on his own, and also I will be on pins!! 

Its not good  :(  :(

My parents had a cat that was diabetic. They had to give it insulin shots and it was expensive. I think the insulin has to be refrigerated too so you need to always have someone available to give the injections from home. It worked for awhile, but ultimately it was just too hard on the kitty's kidneys. I really don't know if it is the same for dogs, but the kitty was able to live a good life with injections for over a year, I think.

Aw, sorry to hear this. :(

If I remember correctly, Kayak had this before he passed. I'll tag Ralf and Ken for you. They haven't been on for a year though, so I'll let them know on Facebook too.

Susan and Dunc, so sorry to read this. We had a Westie that was diabetic. Same thing, he was drinking a lot. His blood sugar numbers were off and the vet took a urine sample as well, since ketone levels in urine can confirm. They determined the dosage of insulin shots needed, and I gave Skipper one shot in the morning before breakfast and one at night before dinner. He was about nine years old at the time. He did fairly well for about 10 months, and then he went blind, and eventually his kidneys shut down. Not sure if that was related or not, but the kidney issue was too much for the little guy. We did not do daily blood checks with a meter, but did take him to the vet once a week for the first month for blood checks, then monthly checks were done. It is a shock, but with proper care, A dog can live a normal life. In our Westie's case, I think we did not catch it soon enough.