Todays lesson

Today I learned a new lesson again.

Mushers rule number one: If you don´t have a proper anchor in your sleigh, don´t ever let go of the dogs or sleigh!

So here goes the whole story:

Today I was harnessing my huskies for a sleighride. And naturally they were really excited. So when the dogs were ready, I said them "Stay". As usually. Ronja is quite obedient dog. And normally they will stay still until I get to the sleigh. But not today! I didn´t even get near to the sleigh, when the dogs decided "now is time to RUN! And fast!" And so I was watching when my huskies ran to the horizon. Along the way they scared of bunch of little children and woman (very angry, suprise!) with a fat labrador. Luckily the sleigh didn´t crash to the ground. So I started to yell: "******** dogs! Back and now!!!*****" I was so pissed off. After while they got their ears back and they stopped. Finally they turned around and came back. I was so embarrassed. Dogs faces were like " Where were you? We were having so much fun!" Very nice indeed.

But it´s useless get mad to the dogs if I´m total jerk myself! Maybe I finally will get the anchor or so called "snatching-rope" to my sleigh! :lol:

aattoa.jpg

Oh my gosh! At least they came back. They are beautiful Huskies.

Oh yes! I´m proud that they came back. But I have to say that they aren´t "runaway type" of dogs at all. I can let them out of leash etc. :) This was totally my own mistake and sloppiness.

And thanks for praises!

We have to use a snub line with ours to attach them to a tree (or to the van) while we are getting ready to run them. They get so excited that without it, like you, we would see them disappearing into the distance. Once they've done a few miles, we can stop them and they'll wait calmly until it's time to start off again. If we had more snow more often, I'd get a snow hook too, but I doubt whether I would ever get to use it!

Mick

LOL, laughing with you not at you. At least they are trained to come back, hahahaha. Chewy would have

stopped or slowed just long enough to look back and smile, like hahahaha, nanner nanner now you gotta

chase me, lol...and then he'd have kept running until he passed out of exhaustion, hehehehe. Hes a good

boy but I will not trust him for recall in an uncontrolled place...in other words outside the yard, lmao. I did

start to teach recall but then was told the area I chose to do it in was off limits, and so wasnt able to keep

going as most areas around here have busy roads much too close for comfort.

PS. Youre huskies are truly beautiful, just like everyone is saying, lol.