Wyatt 2002-2014

We lost Wyatt on March 10th. 

We thought we had the yard finally husky-proofed - it's been months since their last escape attempt. This morning Scout managed to get through by tearing the wood at the base of the gate and pulling the whole bottom of a solid wood gate back far enough to slip through. The dogs were out maybe half an hour and I only found out when I returned home from an errand to a phone call that the Humane Society had picked up the dogs, but Wyatt's back leg was hurt so they were bringing him to me instead of the pound.

One look at him and Teresa and I knew it was bad. I carried him into the house and he just collapsed where I put him. It was very clear that he was in shock. We rushed him to the vet and they confirmed the worst. His back was broken. On the plus, he was feeling no pain, but he was in such an advanced state of shock that I don't even think he was aware of his surroundings. I half expected him to die on the table before they even came back with the euthanasia.

The worst part of all this was that the person who hit him did not stop, and did not report it at least even to the Humane Society. I don't blame the person for hitting him - I'm sure it was an accident, being 12 years old Wyatt was nearly deaf and I'm sure just ran out in front without noticing the vehicle - but to leave him there, injured on the side of a busy residential road right in town? What a shitty, shitty thing to do. Fortunately someone who lives in one of the houses happened to see them and reported loose dogs to the Humane Society. 

A few days later, after posting on a community website about the shitty hit and run and a thank you to the anonymous person who called in, I was put in contact today with the woman who called the Humane Society for the dogs. The sweet woman told me how it was Scout who drew her attention to Wyatt by running to her, then going across the street to Wyatt. He nudged and prodded Wyatt until he tried to get up and moved a little bit, then ran back to the lady. She said he was so sweet and did so well trying to help Wyatt. Even more heartbreaking to hear, but I'm glad she could share it with me, and I'm glad I was able to convey my thanks to her.

I'm sorry it had to end this way, Old Man. At least is was pretty quick, and at least you had some fun before you went. I'm glad I got to say goodbye and be with you at the end.

1978723_10153909574175603_540697796_n.jp

1901665_10153909574195603_645458429_n.jp

77517_10153909574100603_564894644_o.jpg

I'm so sorry to read this, It must be absolutely heart breaking for your family. I did however smile a little when Scout had tried to help :'(  Glad big man wasn't in pain R.I.P wyatt 

Run free and fast over the rainbow bridge  Wyatt xx

Edited by Leyka&Diva

Thanks all.  I've been doing pretty well about the whole thing - as bad as it was it was an easy enough decision to make because there was really no choice to be had and the sooner we could get him peace the better.  Reading all your comments brings fresh tears to my eyes though; the pain of their loss only dwindles, it never truly goes away.  

Sometimes I think fate plays a hand in such matters too - one thing I forgot to mention is that while the vet was checking him over for injuries, she found a large mass in his abdominal cavity under his ribcage - something that was missed on his check up less and a month before.  With his abdominal muscles being so tight in life, and so loose while he was in shock, it was no surprise that it was missed in a quick physical but caught on the deeper probing for injury and through slack muscles.  So I guess in the end this was a quicker way to go than the gradual downhill spiral he would have endured with a tumor or whatever it was, and having already done a 2 year battle with in incurable condition in a dog I was glad not to be put in the position of determining quality of life vs. final gift.

• 4 weeks later...