When Your Dog Pees Inside.

Jase

I thought I would start a little thread on cleaning up after inside accidents as there seems to be a few people having some issues of late  :)

I have been very lucky with Ronin and his toilet training, but my advice comes from experience with my previous dog that had daily accidents towards the end of her 14+ years. 

One of the big problems with inside peeing, especially on carpet is that urine contains ammonia which as we all know stinks to high heaven. Many cleaning products contain ammonia so our dogs can smell even the smallest amount and think "hey great, it must be okay to pee in an area that already smells of pee, woo-hoo!" 

The other problem is that if we don't clean it up well enough, the dog will still have a target for repeated offences. A wet and dry vacuum is obviously a great tool but for those that don't have one, my suggestions are as follows;

You will need

Paper towels

White Vinegar (cheap stuff used for cleaning)

Baking Soda (Bicarb soda)

Spray Bottle

1. Blot up as much of the urine as possible, use around 6-8 sheets of paper towel, place over pee area and stand on it, repeat until most of the wetness is removed.

2. Mix vinegar and water in a spray bottle 50/50 and liberally spray the area. The vinegar neutralises the ammonia.

3. Blot again

4. Sprinkle around half to one handful of baking soda on the area and leave to dry (this will remove the smell of the vinegar)

5. Vacuum up baking soda when dry.

The above is pretty basic, you can use a fan or hair dryer to speed up the drying, you can brush the bicarb in to the carpet before vacuuming, or you can add some dish washing detergent and water  to another spray bottle and spray over the baking soda (this cleans a bit better but takes longer to dry and I seldom bothered with this step)

Anyway, there are all sorts of magical cleaning formulas they sell in pet shops and supermarkets for urine costing big dollars, that don't work as good as the above in my opinion, so save the money and spend it on dog treats to reward your dog for going potty outside :)

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you that is really helpful as we are having some problems with our little one and her peeing inside the house x

I hope it helps, please ask if you have any questions.

Well she seems to be confused or maybe its me lol . She does her number 2 s outside quite happily apart from the odd accident, but she desperately tries not to pee outside she will hold it in  while we are on walks or she is out in the garden and as soon as she is inside run to the backdoor where we used to have the puppy pads and wee there. We tell her no pick her up and place her outside again but it does not seem to  make any difference. Even if we see her circling ant the backdoor and immediately place her outside she will just stop peeing. Oh and its laminate flooring downstairs  so dont think its the smell that continues to attract her but more of a habit thing maybe

Well she seems to be confused or maybe its me lol . She does her number 2 s outside quite happily apart from the odd accident, but she desperately tries not to pee outside she will hold it in  while we are on walks or she is out in the garden and as soon as she is inside run to the backdoor where we used to have the puppy pads and wee there. We tell her no pick her up and place her outside again but it does not seem to  make any difference. Even if we see her circling ant the backdoor and immediately place her outside she will just stop peeing. Oh and its laminate flooring downstairs  so dont think its the smell that continues to attract her but more of a habit thing maybe

And that is exactly why I don't like pee pads :( do you still have that pad? Can you put it out in the garden? When did you say "no" and pick her up? You should do it right when she is peeing. So yes you might find yourself carrying a dog with pee streaming down like a waterfall :shrug: Bruce in Bruce Almighty is doing it right. I always suggest this to people so I'm gonna suggest this again; can you put her on-leash inside the house? In this case it limits her movement so she has no chance to visit that "ex-pee pad spot" whatsoever. Eventually she'd have to go somewhere, and that somewhere would be the garden because you saw her panicking and you take her out to the grasses. The moment she relieves herself, blast the confetti and sing "We Are The Champions". Dance Oppa Gangnam Style and mark the date on your calendar.

I mean.... Praise her. Like normal people do :P

Just want to make sure you're as happy and proud as you can be, because that joy is the exact reason why your dog repeats the desired behavior :)

Ha ha  I will stick to praising her loads as my singing and dancing is terrible and i am sure would put her off doing it outside  forever.

Yea i do not like pee pads but as it took 3 weeks from when we got her until Vaccinations where done and she was safe to go outside we used pads and as i said she seems to understand to do the pooing outside just refuses to pee. I will try the tip with the lead hopefully it will work we tried the taking the pad outside as soon as she was aloud out but she simply waited till she was back inside to pee.

Hi all, well this is my first post on this site ( kiki normally does it ) but just wanted to let you all know, because you have all been great with help and advice, that our little girl has now started peeing outside. she still has the odd accident ( especially when its dark outside, the dark is still a bit scary lol) but she will now do her number 1s and 2s outside.

and both me and kiki are proud to bits of our little girl  :D

thank again guys

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'll see if this works (just had accident number one.... she got excited when I fed her, ran into the living room and peed)

I think excitement pee can't really be categorized as an "accident"... :shrug: after all, it does not mean the dog doesn't know where the toilet is.

• Like 1

I think excitement pee can't really be categorized as an "accident"... :shrug: after all, it does not mean the dog doesn't know where the toilet is.

I just hope she wasn't being naughty, she looked right at me when she did it, but I think I missed her I need to pee because she was so excited I was going to feed her :/

• 1 month later...

My puppies seem to have understood where to go to pee or poo, but not always. 

Especially during the night, we cannot leave him alone in his own area, because if he wakes up alone in the middle of night start to cry. 

So, we try to keep him with us in the bedroom, he is very good and silent, but he needs to pee and poo at least 2 times in one night. 

So we don't know how to solve this problem and for a month he needs to stay inside.

How can we solve? :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...