What Happened On This Day In History?

• 8 months later...

1537 Pope Paul III bans the enslavement of Indians in the New World.

1774 The Quartering Act, requiring American colonists to allow British soldiers into their houses, is reenacted.

1793 Maximilien Robespierre, a member of France’s Committee on Public Safety, initiates the “Reign of Terror.”

1818 The British army defeats the Maratha alliance in Bombay, India.

1859 French forces cross the Ticino River.

1865 At Galveston, Texas, Confederate general Edmund Kirby Smith surrenders the Trans-Mississippi Department to Union forces.

1883 The first baseball game under electric lights is played in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

1886 Grover Cleveland becomes the first American president to wed while in office.

1910 Charles Stewart Rolls, one of the founders of Rolls-Royce, becomes the first man to fly an airplane nonstop across the English Channel both ways. Tragically, he becomes Britain’s first aircraft fatality the following month when his biplane breaks up in midair.

1924 The United States grants full citizenship to American Indians.

1928 Nationalist Chiang Kai-shek captures Peking, China, in a bloodless takeover.

1942 The American aircraft carriers Enterprise, Hornet and Yorktown move into their battle positions for the Battle of Midway.

1944 Allied “shuttle bombing” of Germany begins, with bombers departing from Italy and landing in the Soviet Union.

1946 Italian citizens vote by referendum for a republic.

1948 Jamaican-born track star Herb McKenley sets a new world record for the 400 yard dash.

1953 Elizabeth II is crowned queen of England at Westminster Abbey.

1954 Senator Joseph McCarthy charges that there are communists working in the CIA and atomic weapons plants.

1969 The Australian aircraft carrier Melbourne slices the destroyer USS Frank E. Evans in half off the shore of South Vietnam.

Born on June 2

1731 Martha Dandridge, the first First Lady of the United States. Widow of Daniel Park Custis, she married George Washington in 1759.

1740 Donatien Alphonse Francois, the Marquis de Sade.

1840 Thomas Hardy, English poet and novelist (Far From the Madding Crowd, Tess of D’Ubervilles).

1903 Robert Morris Page, physicist, inventor of pulse radar.

1904 Johnny Weissmuller, American gold-winning Olympic swimmer who portrayed Tarzan in films.

1913 Barbara Pym (Mary Crampton), English novelist (Less Than Angels, Quartet in Autumn).

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

June 5th 1995  I was first person on earth to handle the 2/1/4 ounce gold nugget the"  Jamie" Jamie was a gamekeeper  having a nervous breakdown  and trying to make a new job for himself.Actually he was succeeding successfully in his new job as heed found that a select small shrimp was the food needed to feed baby lobsters. He used to go catch them on a tide in the Mawddach esturary and sell them to select university  group.  In between tides he tried panning for gold in the forest . I  saw him in the valley id been panning he was what I call a kangaroo a hole 2ft deep then heed move 50 yards then the same again.  I went and told him he was wasteing his time as the gold started to show at 6ft. I told heed need to dig a minimum of 3ft for a odd chance of getting any thing. Think he managed to get one flake of gold.He left   and during weekend id changed site to a location on side of river onto bedrock and was panning gravel and hard clay getting decent nuggettoes  of about 0.1 to 0,3 of a gram.I was accumulating a fair amount but a Forestry worker stopped and told us the water to bottom of the river was white from the clay. So I stopped and changed site again. On Sunday the ""gold expert from Leeds """ came down with friend and I went downstream to see them and they were digging at side of big 20 ton boulder at side of river. I told them off /gave advice as they were using a sieve. I told them the river had nuggets and by using a sieve they would throw away the nuggets. ||They like many others ignored my advice. Id been given this advice and had followed it and thereafter started getting nuggets galore.The advice was given by a strange lad from Colwyn bay. Strange because he had a campervan  which he had covered in stickers of which you could get in kids magazines in the 1960.s of fake bullet holes. But looking closer all the bullet holes in the back of his van were real.

On Monday  it rained and as result the river rose and filled in all activity on the river. On Wenesday Jamie arrived at about 5pm  and I told him he could do my clay site as that late at night no one would see and any clay in river would not show up for next day. I went down at 7pm it nearly getting dark. He was not there he was actually in the hole that the guys had been in at weekend next to big rock. Note the hole had filled up on Monday with loose gravel so not obvious . He had worked all the loose gravel out easily and was getting down about one foot further than they had gone. Heed got two nuggetoes from the clay site but moved as he thought it too dirty to continue. Anyways I came down and he had all the equipment on massive big plastic arm waders  and he using a square letrapp pan that fairly weird to use  by shuffling it back and forwards. He had this stone in his pan rattling around  and it looked like a zippo lghter a brass one that was old and tarnished he asked us what that was I picked it up out of the pan  and looked at it. On one side it had a slight scratch. I said "You bastwerd" " ive been looking for one like this for 10 years. its a two ouncer or im a Dutchman >"  It turned out to be 2/1/4. he had in his gold collection a flake two nuggetoes and a 2/1/4 ounce nugget.   Note the nugget that brown discoloured colour would have been indistinguishable with other rocks in a sieve and the reason all those using a sieve tghrow away 90% of the nuggets they ""pan". 

Little point the river involved was the Afon Wen  you can make a hole 4ft in a day /5ft in a week/ 6ft in two weeks work. But 8ft the usual depth to full bottom took three months work but you got then 10/15 grams of gold and nuggets per sq yard. usual average was 2 gram nuggets best I got was 8 gram . the ouncer was a 1in /1000 exception.