Heartbroken

I cant begin to put this into words, For a fortnight or so Malakai has been off his food, lethargic generally unwell, after numerous trips to the vet to get blood works etc done, they wanted him in for a liver biopsy as they had narrowed the problem down to that area, 

Today he went in for the biiopsy, got a call from the vet, that the problem was not his liver but a massive tumour on his pancreas, which was in operable and to advanced too treat, ive never felt myself sink so quickly, there were no options open to me that would have helped him, I felt like i'd been hit by a bus,

I genuinley thought it was going to be an infection of some sort, we'd treat it and he be back to his best soon enough. 

But instead I have had to put my boy to sleep, for his own good, Absolutely heartbroken, I got to the vets and was with him at the end.

I know everyone says dog is mans(or womans) best friend but he genuinley was mine, since he was 12 weeks old we've been a team the 'king' (king kai was his house name lol)and i promised him i'd look after him, I'm now left racking my brains to think if i missed some early sign, something anything.

Words will never describe how utterly gutted i feel at the moment

Run fast son, Run hard

John, it's not easy.  In fact, it's darn difficult to go through this with your friend.  Try to remember the times you spent together, the fun you and Malakai had.  He will always be a part of you.  In the meantime, you have my very sincere condolences.  May Malakai run free until you meet again.

I'm sorry for your loss, not sure if it's the right time to say this but..... Animals are so good at hiding illness and pain, so please don't beat your self up over it. He would have hidden all symptoms from you.  :cry1:

I've just read your post and I have tears running down my face, I can't even begin to imagine your pain.  I know if your love for him is anything like mine is for my boys you must feel utterly destroyed right now.

I guess the only consolation is he had you there and didn't unecessarily suffer.

Run free little one. x

hi, thanks everyone for the kind words. I know its going to hurt for a while, he was my first dog, and we did everything together, he even came to work with me most days, the guys at work used to kill themselves laughing at the husky in the hi viz vest.

I know we did the best for him as i couldnt have watched him suffer and get worse, I just feel so cheated he was only 6, we should have had many more years with each other.

I will probably check in from time to time, I like reading how everyone is getting on and enjoy there stories, it has been wonderful being part of the community for this past year or so.

Thanks again everyone.

John, I totally understand what you're going through, I had the same in November with Diesel. His was his spleen but he gave no indication of how bad he was until they operated on him. 5 months on & I still miss the big lad, he was a rescue & we had 4 yrs together - he was 10 yrs old. But you made the right decision for him, and a hard but selfless one for yourself.

Please don't be a stranger around here, drop in when you feel able to, and look after yourself x