Problems From Whimzees Alligator Dental Chews?!

Has anyone's huskies had problems after eating a Whimzees all-natural, gluten-free dental chew?

I found these at a privately owned pet store and was on sale! I heard about greenies and wanted to stay away from them so I thought I'd give Whimzees a try. I gave Gumi, my precious husky, the medium alligator veggie chew and immediately after she got sick the next 24-hours. It's been 3 weeks now where she has been losing her appetite, vommitting, and having diarrhea. I've taken her to the vet many times and emergency once. Right now she is doing fluid therapy daily for about a week and on pain medication and antibiotics. I've spent so much money, close to $1000 now, and I'm financially and mentally exhausted. I've been feeling really down because she doesn't eat and dropped a good 10lbs. If anyone can please share a story or can relate to this, please let me know! :(

post-11804-0-45376200-1398881010.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to the family!

Sorry your pups poorly, hope she gets well soon.

I haven't heard of these alligator chews? But when your little girl is better I'd highly recommend antlers, Skye loves them and they are ideal for her sometimes sensitive tummy :0)

Where can you buy antlers?

I bought the first one from Amazon, it was tiny, looked nothing like an antler as it was a small section and it was expensive!

This weekend just gone though I found them in Pets at Home same price and three times the size so they actually look like what they are , I'd offer to send you one over but I bet there will be some customs clearance for sending animal products required?

Internet search might be best for you, amazon at least must have a French branch at least?

Do you mean the chews that come in alligator shape and tooth brush shape etc??

If so mine have always had them and are fine on them

Lol, im being blonde but I thought we were talking about an actual alligator? I think those pets at home ones are mainly rice and vegetable dye, Bear was fine but the orange hedgehog one gave ice the runs pretty bad but no real surprise he gets the runs over pretty much anything. :rolleyes:

I bought the first one from Amazon, it was tiny, looked nothing like an antler as it was a small section and it was expensive!

This weekend just gone though I found them in Pets at Home same price and three times the size so they actually look like what they are , I'd offer to send you one over but I bet there will be some customs clearance for sending animal products required?

Internet search might be best for you, amazon at least must have a French branch at least?

Thanks for the offer but you're probably right :)

Hubby is in UK at the moment, so if he gets a chance I'll get him to pop into Pets at home ;)

I haven't heard of these alligator chews? But when your little girl is better I'd highly recommend antlers, Skye loves them and they are ideal for her sometimes sensitive tummy :0)

I feel so welcomed here. Thank you! Should have joined a lot earlier. So much great info on here!

Yes, I've been meaning to get some antlers but they are so pricey! :mellow:

Sorry to hear your girl isn't well, are the vets sure that's what it is? Seems strange that she'd still be ill so long after , have you got in touch with the pet shop they might have to take them off the shelves, prevent any more dogs getting sick , hope she's ok soon

The vets are sure that it's something in her stomach that is having problems passing through, so I am 99% sure it's the dental chews. That's a good idea...to notify the pet shop. Just so they are aware. Thank you!

Do you mean the chews that come in alligator shape and tooth brush shape etc??

If so mine have always had them and are fine on them

Yes, those! Do you give them the whole thing? I've heard of pets getting sick off of greenies but not on these whimzees. I'm thinking I shouldn't have let her chew the whole thing. I got her a medium. Thanks for your post!

I feel so welcomed here. Thank you! Should have joined a lot earlier. So much great info on here!

Yes, I've been meaning to get some antlers but they are so pricey! :mellow:

They last ages though so are a good investment :0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't get it :( are these "whimzees" and "greenies" a brand name? If yes, I'd e-mail the company really. Tell them what's up and how much you've spent trying to cure your girl. They shouldn't be selling a product that makes a dog so sick for so long. 

EDIT: welcome to our husky family. Please do stick around and keep us updated. We'd love to hear updates about Gumi x 

I've been all over the net, about 6 pages each into two different Google search's and I can't find anything but praise for them.

Whimzee's are made in Holland by Paragon Pet Products (that's a benefit all it's own, at least it's not China!) from:

1. Potato Starch
  2. Glycerin
  3. Powdered Cellulose
  4. Lecithin
  5. Malt Extract
  6. Yeast

Under "Feeding Guidelines" on Paragons web site I find:

• We recommend one properly sized treat per day.
  • Not suitable for dogs under the age of 9 months.
  • Choose the correct treat size for your dog.
  • Not suitable for dogs under 5 pounds in weight.
  • Always have fresh water available for your dog.

As with any edible product, monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed. Swallowing any item without thoroughly chewing it may be harmful or even fatal to a dog.

All of which makes sense.

There colouring is derived from:

• ALFALFA EXTRACT For Vitamins K, C and six Bs, beta-carotene – our all-natural green color.
  • ANNATTO EXTRACT Rich source of antioxidants, from the Annatto fruit – our all-natural orange color.
  • MALT EXTRACT Enhances natural flavor – our all-natural brown color.
  • CALCIUM CARBONATE Helps reduce the risk of tooth decay, and helps maintain strong, healthy bones – our all-natural white color. (Toothbrush XL only)

Ah, finally, here's the meat:

post-5355-0-97260600-1398957478_thumb.jp

Click on the image and it opens up and is readable.

Susan, Unless Gumi has had an allergic reaction of some kind to one of the (pretty palid) ingredients or tried to inhale the whole thing and it's setting in his gut (blockage?), I don't see how they could be the cause of extended problems.

Edited by Al Jones

One thing to be careful of with antlers is the propensity to break teeth. We loved antlers, and I paid good money for high quality ones...and Chula broke her biggest tooth on one and had to have it extracted. No more antlers for us.

I've been all over the net, about 6 pages each into two different Google search's and I can't find anything but praise for them.

Whimzee's are made in Holland by Paragon Pet Products (that's a benefit all it's own, at least it's not China!) from:

1. Potato Starch
  2. Glycerin
  3. Powdered Cellulose
  4. Lecithin
  5. Malt Extract
  6. Yeast

Under "Feeding Guidelines" on Paragons web site I find:

• We recommend one properly sized treat per day.
  • Not suitable for dogs under the age of 9 months.
  • Choose the correct treat size for your dog.
  • Not suitable for dogs under 5 pounds in weight.
  • Always have fresh water available for your dog.

As with any edible product, monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed. Swallowing any item without thoroughly chewing it may be harmful or even fatal to a dog.

All of which makes sense.

There colouring is derived from:

• ALFALFA EXTRACT For Vitamins K, C and six Bs, beta-carotene – our all-natural green color.
  • ANNATTO EXTRACT Rich source of antioxidants, from the Annatto fruit – our all-natural orange color.
  • MALT EXTRACT Enhances natural flavor – our all-natural brown color.
  • CALCIUM CARBONATE Helps reduce the risk of tooth decay, and helps maintain strong, healthy bones – our all-natural white color. (Toothbrush XL only)

Ah, finally, here's the meat:

attachicon.gifWhimzees.jpg

Click on the image and it opens up and is readable.

Susan, Unless Gumi has had an allergic reaction of some kind to one of the (pretty palid) ingredients or tried to inhale the whole thing and it's setting in his gut (blockage?), I don't see how they could be the cause of extended problems.

Holy cow, Al!!! Thanks for the detailed info!!! She's 2 years old at about 40lbs at that time, so I'm thinking I should have only let her chew half of it just to be safe. I'm very nervous about dental chews now. I might stick to beef bones, rawhides, and antlers. What do you think?

Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!!! :D

One thing to be careful of with antlers is the propensity to break teeth. We loved antlers, and I paid good money for high quality ones...and Chula broke her biggest tooth on one and had to have it extracted. No more antlers for us.

Holy cow, Al!!! Thanks for the detailed info!!! She's 2 years old at about 40lbs at that time, so I'm thinking I should have only let her chew half of it just to be safe. I'm very nervous about dental chews now. I might stick to beef bones, rawhides, and antlers. What do you think?

I'd say I agree with that. Dime (my husky) has just had an allergic reaction to this bag of treats I bought him days ago :( it's been a long time since I gave him a store-bought treat so I thought "why not". The answer is definitely "of course not" now. 

As Emily noted, antlers can crack teeth.

We all know that rawhide that is chewed apart and swallowed in pieces can cause blockages.

Raw bones can carry unwanted bacteria and cause some seriously runny poo ...

Someone tell me, how did dogs survive before we humans came along???  

Misty came in one day dragging what had to be the skeletal remains of a beef quarter (probably what was left after a steer died on the desert and the coyotes got through with it) there was nothing left but some dessicated tendon and some very dry bone, but she'd chew on it for hours! 

Susan, my dogs seldom get store bought treats - a treat for them is an occasional dog biscuit or the remains of my meal (very rarely!!)  It seems as if everything today falls into the category of "you pays your money and you takes your chances" and too many have found out the hard way that the chances aren't always too good.

From everything I've seen about Whimzees, I wouldn't think twice about giving one to either of my hounds - they honestly look like one of the better treats, even if they aren't intended as a treat.   I'm sorry Gumi has had the bad reaction to them that he has.  Hope he recovers soon!

Yes, those! Do you give them the whole thing? I've heard of pets getting sick off of greenies but not on these whimzees. I'm thinking I shouldn't have let her chew the whole thing. I got her a medium. Thanks for your post!

Yeah i give them whole but i think they're a different brand here in the uk