Zoya Still Has Hook Worms

Mazz

Five weeks ago, Zoya's stool sample came back positive for both hook and whip worms. We put her on a three day wormer called Panacur. Two weeks later, she again had the three day wormer Panacur. Today, two weeks after her last worming, her stool sample came back positive for hook worms. We've kept the yard picked up, but Zoya continues to dig and ingest dirt. The vet said we would have to take off the top four inches of soil and replace it to remove all worms and their eggs, which of course for an acre plus of ground, would be cost prohibitive. The vet said she is getting reinfected, and the prime source is the top soil. We have rabbits, racoons, deere, possums, field mice, coyotes, all enter and pass through our property, which does not help. Given that, even if I could afford to replace the soil, it would not take long for the soil to become contaminated again.

I've spoken with Zoya's breeder. She recommended starting a weekly regimen of worming for up to 16 weeks, then once every 8 weeks thereafter. I've got an appointment with Zoya's vet on Monday, to go over their recommendations on how to go forward from here. I'm going to ask them about the breeder's recommendation as well. Panacur is a prescription wormer. The manufacturer of Panacur, also makes an identical non-prescription product called Safe-Guard. Both are granular and come in 1, 2, and 4 gram packets. Dosage is 1 gram for 10 pounds in weight.

Zoya has no outward signs of having worms. She is eathing well, not vomiting, her stools are normal, and she is not losing weight (other than a few pounds due to the reduction in treats).

aw, poor girl. Good job she doesn't seem to notice it in herself.

Sarah's idea is really good & is a much cheaper option, just section off an area solely for Zoya, making sure any fencing is high enough to keep "visitors" out & Zoya in!

Let us know what the vet thinks of the breeders recommendation, too :D

Hey Mazz...

I dont know much about Hookworm but i know that if you have to remove the topsoil of your yard that would be a very costly job. But i did find som info on the net that may be of some help...

There are a lot of suggestions from Salt Tabs or spraying Bleach and Amonia, I have included the links so you can take a look.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061220165251AA1SWKa

Hope this helps with your problem, and i jope your sibe gets better soon...

I know this might sound daft to most maybe like me teach her not to dig and not to eat the soil, I know its a natural thing for dogs to do but it can be done I've got 2 here that was taught from pups not to do this as i love my garden and my dogs, I also have a flagged area that the dogs go on most of the time with a very little fence separating the too the dogs know unless they are told they are not aloud to go in the garden.

Hey Mazz...

I dont know much about Hookworm but i know that if you have to remove the topsoil of your yard that would be a very costly job. But i did find som info on the net that may be of some help...

There are a lot of suggestions from Salt Tabs or spraying Bleach and Amonia, I have included the links so you can take a look.

http://answers.yahoo...20165251AA1SWKa

Hope this helps with your problem, and i jope your sibe gets better soon...

Thanks for the link. I visited with the vet again yesterday. We've switched Zoya's heatworm medication. He wants to retest her stools in about six weeks, to give the new heartworm meds time to work. Then he suggests deworming four times a year, with an annual boost wormer. The eggs are the problem. Nothing short of fire will destroy the eggs and they can still be potent after a fifty year dormancy. Eating the eggs, they hatch when inside the warmth of the gut, and boom, we have worms.

I think Dunc may have the best approach, teach her not to dig.

Can't you give her this product? Says it controls hookworms and such. Interceptor check it out, might be worth a try if you can get some.

Thanks. That's the product we are switching to. I just picked up several month's worth this past week. Zoya receives her heartworm meds on the 5th of each month, so we have a few days before she gets her tab. The product she was on, Inverhart Max, was supposed to control hookworms. But it has had some failures, according to our vet. Our vet suggested we switch over to Interceptor.