Coat Type

Sashagirl

Hello, I am attaching some photos of our girl Sasha. I was wondering if anyone can tell by her pic what type of coat she has? Dreading the shedding and hoping she isn't the bad shedding type lol. I've had her a month and she's 3 months old. No shedding yet... Here she is. Thanks :)

post-11633-0-94550100-1397413589_thumb.j

post-11633-0-25487200-1397413602_thumb.j

post-11633-0-98858900-1397413625_thumb.j

post-11633-0-25049900-1397413653_thumb.j

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awww she's so adorable! :wub:

They all shed a lot, but all have different types / thickness of coats regular brushing will help, get her used to it whilst she is young then it's easier when she's blowing her coat for you to spend more time brushing her :)

Aww look it's spider-dog!  Walking upside down in the first pic, lol.  :)

Bear my mixed breed started to blow tufts when she was around 6 months old, but Ice my full husky is now 2 years old and only just started to blow for the first time.  Before that he just shed heavily all year round, couldn't stroke him without sending up a cloud or two of fur, lol.

What triggers the coat blow is a noticeable drop or rise in temperature, usually around spring and autumn time.  As it's been pretty warm here recently, Ice is losing a fair few tufts from his butt right now, might be a bit young at 3 months for a real blowing of the coat but trust me in one way or another they all shed their coat everywhere!  :D

Thanks. Do those shed any less than other types? I've heard mainly of the coat blow twice a year with minimal if not any throught the remainder. I live in central florida. I have read also that some shed all year.

I think there's no way of telling that. Each dog is really an individual. But so far the short-coated Huskies that I know do shed less than my boy who is a wooly. The twice a year coat blow is a general rule of thumb. There is no guarantee yours would follow that pattern. In places where the weather is constantly warm, Huskies typically shed year-round. But then again, it's a generalization.

This is the best pic I've seen on the web of a husky. I love this guy! Gorgeous!! Is this the normal short coat type?

Sorry Telli picture didn't show. But any husky whose fur so short the dog looks skinny is normal/short-coated. Easiest way is to look at the doggy's tail. Hang on I'll put up pics for ya 

how much they shed tends to depend on the dog and not JUST the coat type

my boy Blaze is your 'standard' coated type it should be plush but not too short or overly long , he sheds all year round , gets abit tufty during the warmer months but not toooo much

528809_10151211044656681_2145225583_n.jp

but my girl Skyla is a 'wooly' type and she sheds twice a year and its ALOT 

37088_10151218139306681_785855715_n.jpg

heres her coat blowing pic , this is about half of what she actually lost 

534409_10150624093536681_593279512_n.jpg

i thought 'plush' coat was the normal standard coat lol ??

what the heck LOL really?? 

EDIT see, Telli? :) each is an individual. Please don't worry about your baby's first coat blow too much. Once she started, you'd wish to turn back time ;):P:D

EDIT #2 I use the "plush" term because Lani (HuskyMom09) uses it. I don't know if there's any other name for them. "Short coat" however has a ton of name variations including "short-haired", "short-fur", "normal-coated", etc. My favorite: "the skinnier kind" :rofl:

EDIT #3 ((heck that's a lot LOL)) I think I know what you're speaking of Nix. YES the plush coat is the only one accepted by our breed's standards. Probably why you call it "standard coat" because it is the one described by the breed's standards :lol:

I think you should plan on your husky shedding a lot. It is one of the characteristics of the breed. 

I think mine has a pretty standard coat, although she is not quite as plush as show huskies. She has a very poofy tail and rear quarters. We have had one coat blow since we got her, and I would say it lasted about a month. The shedding has gone down since her blow, but there is still hair on everything. There are still husky hairballs in the corners, under furniture, on the couch, etc.

If you've got a problem with animal hair everywhere, I'd either be prepared to spend a good portion of your day cleaning and vacuuming, or learn to get used to it!

attachicon.gifhusky.jpgWOW...one hour!!! How many hours can you do that?!? HAHA! Yikes...again! Here is that picture of my favorite looking Husky from the web...If I can get it attached. Im now at my PC trying. Is this the standard coat?

yeah thats a standard coat :)

i could sit there for hours but i get abit bored lol longest ive sat is about an hour n a half brushing 

• 3 weeks later...