Trying To Bond With My New Husky

Hello.. I'm having a hard time bonding with our new husky. She has been with us for 6 months now.  I lost my 12 year old Boxer back in October and was not handling the situation very well so I impulsively ran out and brought home our Husky (Anaya).  I had been researching Husky's for the past few years because I knew eventually our aging dog wasn't going to be with us much longer,  I realize that the bond I lost cannot be replaced but Husky's are so different from Boxers.  I'm not sure if it's just a puppy thing and she will grow to be more affectionate, or if there is something wrong with my husky.  She doesn't really care to be around anyone.. she loves to play and go for walks but even then it's like were both there but were not there together, does that make sense?  She never comes over just to lay next to me or follow me around.  So I'm wondering if all Husky's are like this, independent and not very cuddly?  I'm use to having a dog that follows me everywhere.. lays her head on my lap so I will pet her.  Anaya never does any of this.. the only time she listens is when I have a treat.  Is this typical behavior?

hello and welcome :)  

i wonder if she senses that you are still mourning the loss of your other dog?

try not to think that you are replacing your other dog and you might feel more accepting of her and so encourage her to become closer to you?

i have a really close relationship with Skye and we have only had her 4 weeks, she follows me everywhere and snuggles with me on the sofa every night, i treat her very much like my baby so maybe that's why?

i really hope you can bond with your little girl

I guess dogs can have different personalities just like humans. My 2 are both super affectionate but the older one does like her own space too and will walk away when she's had enough cuddles.

Maybe she's still finding her feet (or paws) with her new family. 6 months seems like a long time, but it can take a while for a puppy to figure things out. She has to learn about life and learn that she can trust you. Just keep at it, as long as she enjoys playtime with you I don't think it's a problem. They are a very independent breed but if you take it slowly I'm sure you'll develop another strong bond with her and you'll find the perfect relationship for you both :)  :pawprint:

It kind of depends on the dog, but generally huskies are more independent than other breeds, so I don't think anything is wrong with your husky.  You can do things to help, such as work on training.  You could enroll in an obedience class and I think that would help with the bond.

My older boy is not cuddly at all, unless there's food involved :)  He became even more distant when we got his little brother who is quite affectionate.  They are very independant dogs and I think that's the way most huskies are.

As already said, she may sense you are still missing your boxer, they are super sensitive to our feelings.  I found my bond with Harry (our older boy) grew once we went away on a camping trip and he came with us.  He slept with us in the tent and therefore spent 24 hours a day with us.  Once we returned home we resumed our usual routine but somehow we seemed closer, like he really felt like part of our family.  

So I would suggest spending as much time as possible with her having fun, lots of kisses when brushing and lots of hugs when she does something good.

Don't give up trying :)

Zoya, whom we've had since she was 9 weeks old, and who is now approaching six years, has yet to bond with me.  She bonded real tight with our son's dog; but to her, I'm last week's newspaper - been there, done that.

Daughtry is only cuddly when she wants to be and bonded to my daughter... She didn't bond to us as owners... Darwin our boy loves men... He hasn't particularly bonded to anyone.. Just the boys in the family... Echo my gsd.. Is a woman's dog and she loves the bones off. Me...

Some huskies are very aloof and don't show allegiance to anyone

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Currently I have huskies 2 and 3. Number 1, I lost to old age just over 4 years ago. He was my once in a lifetime dog - that soulmate companion that everyone searches for. Consider yourself fortunate if you have enjoyed that relationship with a canine in your life.

That said, as a youngster, Bo (#1 husky), was not all that fond of me until he reached the age of 7 or so. That's when we became one, so to speak. He spent his entire life teaching me about huskies. Yes, they are affectionate - on their own terms. They are independent creatures, so the boxer-bond that you were accustomed to may be a long time in coming with this breed. Some are affectionate - even from day 1. But that isn't typically the norm.

When Bo and I truly bonded, was when I realized that the bonding, or lack thereof, was partially MY responsibility. I'd often had the following cross my mind - "He's special. And by special, I mean that I didn't think he understood English, or that he had difficulty hearing, or even that he really didn't 'want' to belong to me. All incorrect. 

It takes time to learn to 'speak husky'....

My second is approaching her 4th birthday. She is dignified to the point of frustration at times. She refuses to be stroked very much, has a definite distaste for affection (ie. hugs), and at 3 1/2 discovered her voice and now screams at me (literally) if I am in her space. At the same time, she lays at my feet, becomes very upset when husky #3 shows affection, and yet she LOVES to go with me to care centers and schools, rides in the car, and even to work each Friday. That's just how she is.......she loves me, but prefers to have her space and to not let me dictate our relationship. I would have her no other way.....she is my pRYNcess (her name is Omryn - Ryn for short) and she is a diva - a princess. And I love her all the more for it.

I know as she ages, our relationship will grow even more. She'll get to the point that she will seek out the affection that I so want to share. It just takes time. And let me tell you, after my experiences with Bo, it is very much worth waiting for.

Huskies are like no other breed. They don't see themselves as dogs who belong to a human. They see themselves as 'people' and you, dear human, belong to them. Follow their rules and you can be rewarded with a relationship like no other you have had. But you'll need to be patient.....

Don't give up. Don't assume it won't happen. Don't believe that your husky is different or unattached. It's simply not true.

Each has their own personality, personal space needs, and has the intelligence to know what they want and why. Don't ever underestimate them!

My older boy is not cuddly at all, unless there's food involved :)  He became even more distant when we got his little brother who is quite affectionate.  They are very independant dogs and I think that's the way most huskies are.

Interesting. I found this to be true with Ryn when Petunia came too..........the little sh*ts!

Interesting. I found this to be true with Ryn when Petunia came too..........the little sh*ts!

I know, all you want to do is hug and squeeze them and for them to want to be hugged and squeezed, but all I get is a 'do I have to endure this', 'can I go now'. Wouldn't want them any other way :)

Mine are all pretty different when it comes to affection...

Nikko would rather play and roughhouse rather than cuddle, unless he is tired.  Then he will allow you to pet him, but if you cuddle too much or smother him he will get up and walk away.  Basically he will cuddle on HIS terms!

Yukon likes to be next to you, but if you start hugging him he will make these grunting noises LOL.  If you don't stop he will move away you.  He will tolerate being petted but he would rather you leave him alone and just be next to him.

Kodiak is the attention seeker!  He will demand a belly rub, or to be petted.  And if you stop, he will nudge your hand with his muzzle!  It does not matter what you are doing...typing, eating, etc; he wants to be petted!  Usually when you start petting him he drops to the floor on his back for you to rub his belly...put don't try just cuddling, you have to be petting him, or else he will let you know!

Champ and I have an interesting bond, he knows that I'm in charge and he'll seek out my partner for cuddles more often than me (this had me quite upset for a while).  But we also had an instant connection when I went to adopt him and he will follow me around the apartment, he gets upset when I leave, and he gets more excited to see me than anyone else.  If he wants cuddles he'll come to us for it but he'll also be okay with me going and laying down with him on his bed.  When I'm upset he gets very affectionate and will do whatever he can to cheer me up, he lays next to me on the couch when my partner isn't home and if he wants affection he'll make himself annoying if I don't give it right away.  I've had him for about seven months now and he's become more affectionate towards me recently, he'll lay pushed up against me on the couch while I'm working on the computer and such, but it took time and I've been doing training on walks and just at home with him more frequently recently so that could have something to do with it, and I think he's realized that I love him to death and wouldn't give him up for anything and that this is his forever home.  It takes time, love, and patience, you'll get there :)

Dogs vary but as you can see from the replies so far it is in the nature of a husky to be more aloof than most breeds.  That doesn't mean that they don't love you though, they just hide it well!  lol.

Ice will happily lay down next to me and lay his head on my lap when it suits him.  When I try to go to him for a cuddle though, it's usually met with a whiney growl before he gives up and indulges me for a brief moment or two.

Even Bear who simply refuses to be parted from her humans under any circumstances doesn't like to be petted too much.  She has to be with you, as close as she can get but without actually touching you.  She likes to sit beside you or lay underneath you. 

Brooke my staff would love nothing more than to be your lap cat, giving you endless kisses and probably killing you with her death breath, lmao.

3 different responses from 3 totally different dogs but I love them all and I know that deep down they love me too. :D

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your Boxer.. it's never easy to lose a canine friend :( have you ever considered that maybe your husky is also mourning for your Boxer? Dogs often became distant, quiet and just 'sad' if a canine housemate passes on. But if you think that's not the case, then it's just her personality, I'm afraid. Huskies are entirely different from most other breeds and their independent personality is one of the main reasons why. They're very.... cat-like, to put it simply. 

Nikko would rather play and roughhouse rather than cuddle, unless he is tired.  Then he will allow you to pet him, but if you cuddle too much or smother him he will get up and walk away.  Basically he will cuddle on HIS terms!

Yukon likes to be next to you, but if you start hugging him he will make these grunting noises LOL.  If you don't stop he will move away you.  He will tolerate being petted but he would rather you leave him alone and just be next to him.

This is a perfect description of Ryn! She much prefers to just 'be'. After reading this, I think the best description of our relationship is just that ..... her affection comes with just the companionship of being with me. She doesn't need and/or want the physical affection.

Huskies! Where would we be without them!

Wow - this was fantastic.. thank you all so much.  It had never occurred to me that maybe she could sense I was still grieving (maybe giving me some space), or maybe not and she will just be who she is and I'll have a different relationship with this dog. 

It was so great to read all your stories and I feel so much better.  I'm so glad I found this website I have so many questions.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your boxer, we lost our lurcher Belle just a few weeks ago. She was my hubbies dog and he was distraught saying goodbye to her :(

My girl Mia is aloof, it's her way or no way as far as cuddles go....she'll only come if there is something (insually a treat) in it for her. She will often point blank ignore our calls of come and we often have to chase her to catch her in the garden, she's so infuriating at times. But that's a husky thing and I love her for it.

Teo on the other hand is a proper mummies boy who comes whenever he's called and is happiest when he's cuddled up with me on the sofa....which is usually when Mia will choose to come for a cuddle. As aloof as she is, she doesn't want to miss out on anything!