Oh, Dear This Isn't Good.

Andy

Well he did have one offlead....

same thing happened about 2 miles away from me last spring... there are still people who just do not believe how high prey drive really is..if there is something just a wee bit more interesting off they are simple as that..

great, before we know it they will be on the dangerous dogs list, if they aren't already  :(

i wish my husband understood that, he can't wait to get Skye of the lead, it won't be happening on my watch i can tell you!  :angry:

great, before we know it they will be on the dangerous dogs list, if they aren't already  :(

i wish my husband understood that, he can't wait to get Skye of the lead, it won't be happening on my watch i can tell you!  :angry:

And hold that thought and let him read these type of stories

I'm going to Pin this story in the News Room so when the next Member comes along stating loud and proud

that they are going to train their Husky to be good offlead.

We can simply point them at this and hope they get the hint

Nearly £3000 in costs and damages

He was lucky the farmer didn't press for the dog to be destroyed.

• Like 4

I'm going to Pin this story in the News Room so when the next Member comes along stating loud and proud

that they are going to train their Husky to be good offlead.

We can simply point them at this and hope they get the hint

Nearly £3000 in costs and damages

He was lucky the farmer didn't press for the dog to be destroyed.

That is a good idea Andy...and yes you are right the farmer could have pressed for that one not a problem then the owner would have losed gbp 3000 & his prized pet....

These Arrogant dog owners annoy me.....They go against ALL advice, thinking THEY are in control...when  clearly ...they aren't . and it is animals/pets that suffer. They should have fined him 10 times that amount...........Moron ! 

Edited by Mike101
  • Like 1

I suppose this story will be repeated.  It seems some people are not getting the message, and some who do, don't heed the message.

It goes without saying that a husky shouldn't be allowed off the lead period. Annoying that huskies might get a bad press for this as technically any dog is likely to feel an urge to go chasing after sheep, it isn't just going to be a northern breed thing.   That old video of the man running across the field after his dog and yelling "FENTON!!!" springs to mind, lol.  If your around a farmer's field with animals that are their livelihood, then surely common sense would dictate that dog walkers would be extra vigilant. 

• Like 1

There are those that will listen and there are those that know better than everyone else. Unfortunately, as has already been pointed out, it's normally the dog that suffers. The father of Skye, Lees' dog, was shot by a farmer for doing this self same thing because the owner thought it would be ok to let him off the lead.

Gary.

It goes without saying that a husky shouldn't be allowed off the lead period. Annoying that huskies might get a bad press for this as technically any dog is likely to feel an urge to go chasing after sheep, it isn't just going to be a northern breed thing.   That old video of the man running across the field after his dog and yelling "FENTON!!!" springs to mind, lol.  If your around a farmer's field with animals that are their livelihood, then surely common sense would dictate that dog walkers would be extra vigilant. 

We are surrounded by fields full of cattle and it annoys me we can't let the dogs loose (we have 1.1 hectares of land but none of it is secure) We are desperately trying to save so we can fence ourselves in but it's going to cost over a €1000 and at the moment we just dont have that kind of money :( One day soon I hope we can do this and watch our pooches romp around in safety.

• Like 2

We are surrounded by fields full of cattle and it annoys me we can't let the dogs loose (we have 1.1 hectares of land but none of it is secure) We are desperately trying to save so we can fence ourselves in but it's going to cost over a €1000 and at the moment we just dont have that kind of money :( One day soon I hope we can do this and watch our pooches romp around in safety.

Wow, that is a lot of land and a lot of fences.  Wouldn't want to mow your lawn, lol.  Have you got long lines staked into the ground so they can run around outside with some freedom as a compromise until you can fence yourself in?  If not, might be worth looking into?

A local farm manager near me lost both of his dogs when after being around animals for years, both got into a field of sheep and killed several. he was fined a similar amout and the dogs destroyed.Not huskies this time but a skinny little whippet and a great dane. The dane had been loose around the cattle for several years with no problem then one day!!!!!

Just not worth the risk and you have to be especially careful when there are livestock around.

• 5 months later...

Yes...Chester is great in an enclosed area. But with another dog he's totally deaf esp if they are too!

Fortunately I've found he's great round cattle and horses off lead but his keen focus to any sheep on the other side of a fence is defo not where he'll ever be let loose.

Further...The new countrywide rules that dogs on farmland cannot be off lead means getting them used to running on a long lunge rein but ALWAYS under control and a bungee lead will save arms bring yanked out of sockets or dkin off hands unless gloves are worn and tension control kept on that rein with rapid pickup all the time...

Seems there are still too many no-common-sense dog owners out there who think their 'recall' is 100%.

Not with Husky-related breeds...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My dog's father was shot dead by a farmer last week, he ran off on a walk through Nercwys woods and ended up in a field of sheep. I never let Astro off the lead for this very reason, the local dog walkers try to make me feel guilty for not doing it which makes me really angry. I have a 50 foot horse lunger so he has a good run around in the park, we live right next to a load of farmers fields and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him!

Oh how awful. So sad.

I'd firmly ignore the local dog walkers....they should all respect the individual owner's personal reasons on how they walk their dogs!

I mentioned before the recent new country code says NO DOGS OFF LEADS on farmland and must always be under strict control.

The scare that some dogs may carry a bug harmful to breeding cattle causing malformed new-born is very real and as an owner you won't know if your dog is a carrier unless it is tested - no symptoms may be apparent! I looked this up and the deformed calves that have resulted by this was distressing to say the least.

Out of respect I agree - walk your dog on long rein and under control and make a conscientious point to PICK-UP after your dog.

The bug is in the faeces and is transferred to grazing cattle from the ground. End.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My dog's father was shot dead by a farmer last week, he ran off on a walk through Nercwys woods and ended up in a field of sheep. I never let Astro off the lead for this very reason, the local dog walkers try to make me feel guilty for not doing it which makes me really angry. I have a 50 foot horse lunger so he has a good run around in the park, we live right next to a load of farmers fields and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him!

I've had people be really funny with me for not allowing my sweet well behaved dog off her lead or take the halti head harness off because she obviously doesn't need it. Sure, they don't have to walk her or deal with her prey drive etc. I can barely walk her without the halti because she is so bad. I've only had her nearly two months now, she's seven and never been walked on the lead before, shes very naughty outside (will jump up at people etc and her prey drive is insane. I knew she was going to be like this when i chose her, i knew the rules, it just pisses me off that other people think I know nothing about my dog or I'm a bad owner because of these things.