Tablets

Removed #5

No, not that kind - not the ones you swallow ...

I've been looking around at the various tablets that are being offered and now I'm going to ask for some suggestions.

Something I can use for email / internet when I know my power's going down.  Also something I can load with a few books for reading after the power has gone off (getting to be a nightly occurrence lately - short days / cloudy skies)

Looking for something that has a strong enough battery so that I can take it to town and use it for internet access there without having to plug it in.

I've got an old 15 inch laptop (bad battery / charging system) and a 22 inch monitor so thinking about doing much on a 7 inch screen kinda messes with my mind - are they really usable?

Something in the US$150 - 200 range - is that practical??

Suggestions???

I don't know too much about technology but my son has a samsung galaxy tablet and he takes it to college everyday on the bus so he can listen to music, play games etc. I think he only charges it every couple of days and he uses it in the evenings to surf the web. If I were to use it instead of my laptop I'd probably find it quite annoying, the size of screen I mean, but compared to my HTC sensation it's great when on the move.

Hopefully someone else here will be able to advise better than me :)

Ps I have a 10inch and its more than adequate .... screen size I mean tut tut lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ooooo I'm biting my tongue so hard right now LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

i have a galaxy tab 2 and a ipad the galaxy tab 2 is ok and at a really good price but the ipad is far better in the tablet market you really get what you pay for really al.

if you could stretch to an ipad then i would really go for that,

if reading is what you like to do you can get the kindle app on both

I have an iPad but its over priced for what it my brother has the galaxy (he's a techy nut!) Mum has the kindle fire I like that one she likes it for reading, internet stuff, games the works its a pretty nifty little thing and its in the affordable price range here not sure about there :)

@ Sarah Naughty Naughty lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For reading purposes/internet you could use the Nook  (I believe it's a Barnes and Nobles item)

Buy e-books and there's some games but I didn't like it that much.  (~$100)

I LOVE the iPad mini.  i bought it when it first came out and it was $360 with tax but on Ebay I saw a few deals before for around 220-260. 

Long battery life (if you don't use it, it probably lasts a few days without charging) 

Plus I feel you get a lot of bang for your buck.  I use my mini for texts, webcam, skype calls,taking notes, reading, game, music...and so on.. lol

You need to consider a few issues namely: -

1/. What will you use it for primarily?

E-books are best catered for by the Kindle hand held devices as the screen technology is second to none, (but not ideal as a 'computer' display), so you have to compromise with a Kindle - but I have heard some excellent reviews.

2/. Windows, Android or Apple Operating System?

Apple based devices are slick and reliable but you are 'restricted' due to Apple's restrictive practices and Apple products tend to be more expensive than their Windows/Android competitors.

3/. Connectivity GPRS! (Mobile 3/4G), or just Wireless?

If you require 'connectivity' wherever you go you will neec GPRS, (3G or 4G), but operating costs will be higher, (depending on what SIM contract you take out).

You can save money by going 'Wireless' only and then use 'free' wirelesshot spots when you are out and about.

If you have a smartphone you can use that as a 'tethering' wireless hotspot and you then have full connectivity without the additional cost of a Sim Card and additional contract.

4/. Do you plan to download 'applications'?

Most portable devices have a multitude of 'apps' that you can download, (including e-books), many are free but some are at cost.

As an example I use 'Runkeeper' to log my runs as it uses the built in GPS Receiver to track my route on Google Earth and it then records, (very accurately), my route, distance, overall and split times.

Mobile devices, (smartphones and tablets), have now come of age but there are still a few dissapointing issues - such as the lack of a real keyboard, (some devices will connect to an external keyboard however), and you still get a few unusual traits when viewing certain websites.

Go and try a few different devices, browse some sites and read some text and then look at the prices and make your best 'educated' choice as we are all different and we all prefer different features.

I have been using the Samsung Galaxy Tab, (for the past two years), just pick it up, browse, compose and read emails. . . . . job done!

I'll respond to Martin but also thank you all for your comments.  I'm gettin' a bit more edumacated here.

1. (( and 3 )) This is a toss up.  I don't know how much you've followed about where I live, but I'm on bad solar power and having the lights go out is nothing new so I'm looking for something that I can use to read when I'm in the dark (and I don't need anyone to suggest that I'm in the dark most of the time!)
    I also want something that's light enough that I can toss it into the jeep and use it online when I'm in town or otherwise somewhere where I can get wi-fi access (g3 /g4 isn't even a consideration)
    I'll be using it more heavily as a reading device but also want wi-fi access occasionally.
  2. I've the old timers aversion to a lot of Apple products so Windows (maybe), Android (probably) since it seems to be better behaved on the smaller devices that Win (whatever the current tag is)
  3. Already answered, I think in item 1.
  4. I'm a bit of a techy but with my Smartphones (which I have used as readers in the past, they just have too small a screen to be convenient) I tend to NOT get overly happy with the downloadable aps.  My smartphone (Win 6? - for which I have no contract since there's no reasonable service here) has an English/Spanish Dictionary, the Office Apps, and an epub reader; basically I now use it for a note pad.  So I'm probably not going to load up apps, but I might load up books.

You said ...

Go and try a few different devices, browse some sites and read some text and then look at the prices and make your best 'educated' choice as we are all different and we all prefer different features.

As most everyone knows, I'm not local to anything, the nearest WalMart is 150 miles away; the nearest city (80 miles away) is a small college burg (and I don't know how the college kids keep from going nuts!) which really doesn't have any place to look / feel / compare which is why I'm asking for comments and suggestions here.

There's a thread here - something to the effect of "" - that'll give you a better idea of why I'm asking here.

Al,

At the risk of hijacking your post I must admit that I am very envious of your home and it makes my current plan/dream of moving deeper into the countryside, (possibly near to the coast), a little tame by your standards!

I am well versed with living in the wild, however, having spent some time working and living in the African bush, (geophysics), as well as Saudi Arabia, (medical physics), and I have never known a darker night than what I used to experience in Africa many miles from civilisation.

Coming straight back to your post I now realise that conservative battery power will be of paramount importance, (almost equal to functionality), but most modern devices are now pretty good with their battery life, (battery life is, obviously, directly proportional to what you are doing with your device, (wireless, gps, bluetooth all consume additional power and should be disabled when not required).

I am presuming that you utilise solar energy for water heating and electrical power generation but not sure if you also use a generator, (presumably so considering the snow in some of your pictures)!

I was also fortunate to work in Georgia, North Carolina and Indiana, (many moons ago), but was never fortunate enough to be able to explore the 'interior'.

Take care.

Like a lot of my threads, this threads already been shot!  Nope, no generator; and thankfully, no snow so far this year!  Solar is just electricity - and what's this thing called "water heating"?  Why would someone do that?

Yeh, aren't those dark nights something!  Until you have the chance to get away from all the city lights no one realizes just how many stars there are up there!!

i have a galaxy tab 2 and a iPad.

Show off! :P.

Replying to Al now. I have an iPad but like the others I would say that apple is a pain for charging a lot for their products. I got my iPad second hand and feel quite smug that I get to enjoy it without having to give apple my money. Lol. The battery life is good in that if you are continually using it the battery will last a few hours. The real part I like is the simplicity of it. Sometimes simple is a good thing. :)