Help! My Puppy Is Traumatized...

juliapiano

Hi there. Skipping the intro since it is 4 am here. 

Here's the deal. I just adopted a 2 yo female husky. She was the only husky in her previous pack but she is amazing indoors and we have been doing some work and she learnt my few essential commands now, doing good. She used to have other dogs around though, so I decided I would get a husky puppy and have a happy family. So I got a puppy 3 days ago, Wed. She is also a girl, very outgoing, fast learner. 

The negatives all add up here, though. But not until today were things actually bad, in nature. 

She just turned 7 weeks old. This was a good thing because she learned pad training instead of newspaper in just a day or 2, and was running outside to go in the grass by day 2, crawling and even jumping over the step through my door. She was playing tug with a giant rope toy, played with a giant kong, etc. It was going so great and I was extremely pleased and even felt lucky that I got such a talented dog. 

The puppy and Dakota got along great and she even played mommy. Dakota growled when Cadence (pup) tried to get to her food and Cadence stopped. Everything great. I fed them in separate rooms, always. This is because Cadence has a crating area where she is safe. 

Today we had an amazing day at the park, where there are baseball fields where I let Dakota run. The puppy was leash-free, since she seemed to adore me and ran after my every direction. The entire time, without fail. My friend played tug wars with her giant rope and I have amazing videos (hehe). Cadence was playing with her giant Kong and Dakota (just hopped down from the alpha dog chair) takes over the toy. Cadence goes for the toy and Dakota, for the first time ever, GRABS HER FACE AND SHAKES THE PUPPY AROUND for as long as it took us to jump at them and pull them apart.

THE PUPPY STARTS SCREAMING LIKE I'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE, AND POOPING EVERYWHERE, BITING AT MY HANDS. I take her to her safe area and lock us in there, and try to help her. She screams even more, and bites at me so I leave her alone. She is quiet. I have put Dakota in her room and I go to see she is in her box. I quietly talk her into calming down, as both dog's pupils were dilated so I know Dakota didn't know what happened. 

I go to see the puppy, and poop everywhere. On walls, and especially on her. I slowly clean her, wash up her butt, she seems fine and didn't cry or whimper. She was just scared, now. Understandable. The only mark on her is a small scratch on her forehead, not too close to the eye THANK GOD. I put a little Neosporin  and she did not cry. I wrapped her in a blankie and held her since then, she slept a lot after that and she seemed to be getting back to where we were when I just got her. 

NO. 

She f****** hates me. She doesn't dislike Dakota but she is far from having any care for me, because of this. She stopped responding to anything I say or do, and just ignores me (she may also just be tired right now) and this is difficult to have patience with because we are house training. She was running outside when need be, but not now. So I go to pick her up a and she begins screaming again. 

That's pretty much the story. Right now, after the last screaming episode, I put her in her safe zone (after it has been cleaned, of course). She didn't cry like she usually did, like how a puppy cries for mommy. She may wake up in a bit and cry to go out, like she usually does. 

But what do I do if she doesn't? 

How do I house train NOW?

How do I gain her trust back?

Is she always going to poop when she gets scared? (She gets scared of neighbor dogs that are outside dogs, she is inside dog). 

How do I train her, now? She is very touch-sensitive because of her physical episode. 

Thank you so much. To everyone who thinks I am a douche for getting a puppy even before she was 7 weeks old, I KNOW. It seemed harmless until NOW. 

God Bless. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has she seen a vet? She could still be in pain

Give her time give her treats and most ov all give her space to come out of her shell again , puppies go thru a fear stage around that age so this probably traumatised her so she's going to need a lot of time , tbh tho why did u take her outside anyway? She can't have had all her shots which is dangerous in itself and your oldest dog is still adjusting to her no matter how well things are going and when outside playing I don't think toys should be involved anyway my 2 get into scraps even now when out playg in the garden and toys are outside,

Just give her time and space, lots of treats and slow movements n no loud noises it'll take time but patience is your friend here I'm sure in time she'll come back out ov her shell specially when she realises your there to protect her

Sorry if I sound harsh I typed this quickly on my phone , welcome to the pack , I hope your pup is ok and you are also :-)

Goodness Yulia I feel your stress really :( I don't have a lot of puppy experience, but here goes:

I have a few things I'd like to comment on. So let's go through them by numbers shall we :)

#1 I'd like to first analyze what caused the incident. I'm not saying you lack the ability to read Dakota's body language, but in most cases people misread older dog's body language when they're interacting with smaller dog/puppy. Although they might appear "okay", every dog has their limits and will let you know if they're feeling uncomfortable. Some are pretty discreet about it. Those are the ones we never expect to attack. But like I said, every dog has their limits. Cadence is a younger pup, and I'm sure you're aware she's too young to be taken away from her mom. I assume she doesn't get the basics of bite inhibition yet, so she might nip Dakota too hard all this time. Dakota might be that patient, tolerant, saintly dog that just smiles and shrugs it off but apparently that day she decided to say "enough!". It'd help if you give us a more detailed explanation about how Dakota behaves around Cadence :) why am I going through this? Just because I want you to know this is practically nobody's fault, and you shouldn't blame anyone including yourself :)

#2 But what do I do if she doesn't? Well, don't wait until she whines. Set a schedule to take her out for potty. At her age, she should be taken out every 2 hours or so. Just set the alarm :) that'd actually be more helpful, because if you only take her out if she whines, Cadence would grow up learning "I will get anything I want just by whining!". Believe me, you don't want that.

#3 How do I house train NOW? Yulia, the best thing about dogs is the fact that they do not grasp onto the past. They live in the now, and that's one of the reasons why they're so inspiring towards us humans. Keep going with all the training tips, tricks and schedule you already have. Any changes would just stress and confuse Cadence even more.

#4 How do I gain her trust back? Honestly, by your description above, I don't see how Cadence's view towards you have changed. Huskies are supposed to be quiet, and maybe she's just feeling like staying quiet. She might be a little bit head shy now, but she'd never forget the person from whom she learns all things she now knows :) if she looks unwell, I'd listen to Nixy (post above) she might still be in pain so the vet would know what to suggest :)

#5 Is she always going to poop when she's scared? No, not always. But when she's extremely scared yes she will. It's not a Cadence thing or a Husky thing, it's a canine thing. 

#6 How do I train her now? Again, just carry on with whatever method you chose to stick to. If she's a bit touch sensitive, desensitize her. If she grew fearful of any particular object, or Dakota, you can always slowly reintroduce her to it. We'll gladly offer suggestions if you post about it in detail :)

Last but not least, here's a little personal thought: no offense, but I think you're the one who's traumatized. I'm not there to see the pups myself, but it sounds like both are alright. The pup is unhurt, and still gets along with the older dog. She became touch-sensitive, but that's understandable. She became quiet, but I assume not lethargic? She became unresponsive to commands. Well, have you ever heard of selective hearing? It gets worse if you're feeling emotional :) she screams if you pick her up. Again, understandable because she's touch-sensitive now. But with some time, patience, a handful of treats and a few moments spent reading about desensitization (don't be shy to ask us btw!) she's gonna be okay real soon.

At the end of the day do not forget that dogs can read our emotions and it's largely affecting their behavior. I know it's scary to see our dogs hurting each other ( big hugs ) but none got hurt and that's the most important thing xxx hope I helped!

EDIT: forgot to say it is VERY important to feed the dogs in separate rooms and keep all toys out of both dog's reach during the first few months of introduction. All playtimes should be closely supervised and dogs should be crated when left alone. You probably already know, but I'll just say it anyways for our lurkers out there :)

Just like Olivia said; Keep doing what you're doing. It's important not to get stressed or angry 'cause your dogs will pick up on this and it'll just make things harder.

Make sure you're not just waiting for the puppy to cry to take her out to go toilet, you need to be taking her out every 2-3hrs aswell as 15-20mins after she's just eaten/drank

I'd also like to say that do not take your puppy to public areas when they're not fully vaccinated and to be careful when having dogs - especially Husky's off leash. There's been a few members on here who have lost their dogs when they were off-leash even when the dog knew the recall command.

Ola Yulia, where in Texas are you, I'm down by the Big Bend!  Good to see another Texan on the forum!

I'm the one who normally writes book, looks like Liv is picking up bad habits, but she did a good job covering everything I would have. 

Just to emphasize a couple of previous comments - keep a cool head about yourself and the dogs will follow suit, if you're upset (and I agree you have reason to be upset) they'll sense it and that will make them more nervous.

The pup's just a bit confused right now; you're probably the first thing it saw after Dakota told her off and she's reacting.  Keep on doing what you've been doing and things will be back to normal, don't push anything too hard and let her come to you and she will eventually be the little ball of fur she was.

Ola Yulia, where in Texas are you, I'm down by the Big Bend!  Good to see another Texan on the forum!

I'm the one who normally writes book, looks like Liv is picking up bad habits, but she did a good job covering everything I would have. 

Just to emphasize a couple of previous comments - keep a cool head about yourself and the dogs will follow suit, if you're upset (and I agree you have reason to be upset) they'll sense it and that will make them more nervous.

The pup's just a bit confused right now; you're probably the first thing it saw after Dakota told her off and she's reacting.  Keep on doing what you've been doing and things will be back to normal, don't push anything too hard and let her come to you and she will eventually be the little ball of fur she was.

I will have to agree. I hit that "post" button and whoosh! the page suddenly extended itself. I didn't even realize I wrote that much :lol:

will have to quote Benjamin's post and put some ditto smileys though forgot to mention about the off-leash thing..

Yulia - firstly, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get lots of friendly helpful advice but also feel free to look at the training section we have, you will pick up lots of useful tips to help train your puppy.

Secondly, I can only echo the advice already given here; don't beat yourself up about it, you have a very young puppy on your hands, too young to be away from Mom & siblings really as this is the time puppy will learn a lot of valuable lessons on play & behaviour from her pack. But as she is with you now, you will have to work a little on these habits & before too long, you will have your adorable, playful, mischievious puppy back again.

Let us know how you get on with her & Dakota's progress :)

Hi and thank you all (or should I say, "y'all")! 

First, to clear things up. I do not only take Cadence out when she whines. This is only at night, as I am asleep and trust her to wake me up and she does. During the day, we go out every hour or two, or after naps, meals, before bed, during the night, etc. :) 

She should not be from her mommy, yes. But there is nothing I can do about that, now. Actually, Dakota was a mommy. Before I adopted her, she had puppies once. Her reaction to playtime varies. Most of the time, she lays down with her head up, lets Cadence crawl all over her. She rolls on the ground, and they lick each other, Cadence licks inside Dakota's mouth and Dakota lets her. The are fine together inside a kennel, they cuddle. That day this happened, I knew Dakota was exhibiting ALPHA behavior, and this is why: She never sleeps on my bed with me, she loves her kennel. She has never laid anywhere except the floor and her doggy bed. My friend and I were on the floor, and she hopped up on the ottoman. She never does that when I am home. 

WAS IT A MISTAKE? 

This did not happen outside, we only go outside to potty. This happened over a Kong with treats. My father explains that this is because the  Kong had food in it. They will fight over food, especially when Dakota is trying to establish that she is ALPHA. 

Cadence is going to the vet on Monday. Dakota is getting spayed on the 8th. (Soonest I could get an appointment at emancipet.) 

It does appear that the doggies are back to day one, introduction. They sniff each other and that's it. they don't play. But that is probably because the puppy does not want to play today, at all. Especially with the alpha. 

Hi again Yulia, even when you write "you all", I still read it as "y'all" <laughing>

I don't think letting her behave as a normal pet is a mistake - unless you set out to spoil her rotten, then you get what you ask for!  Kinda getting on my soap box again, *I think* that we humans pay way too much attention to this thing we like to call "Alpha" or "dominant."  Even in the wild, the 'Alpha Male' seldom is the aggressor in corrections, it isn't until the aggressor starts moving toward the alpha position that he might feel the need to protect his position.  Anyway, the alpha / omega roles really should not apply to their interactions with us - we're not dogs and while we might think of them as "our pack", we're really quite outside the pack hierarchy ( or at least we should be! )  Dakota hopping up on your ottoman - it's probably nothing more than her getting to a place where she can see everything that's going on.

Sasha, my Sibe, will sometimes hop on my bed - she's much happier having all four feet on the floor - and when she does, I get this real cute "Look at where *I* am!" look from her.  Why she does it - beats me, I don't really care, it's not *wrong*, it's not something she's going to be corrected for ... so I just let it ride.

Let's back up a bit ... if Dakota corrected Cadence because Cadence was trying to get to Dakota's Kong then it's about one of the most natural things going, she's simply saying "That's mine!"  If the puppy had the s**t scared out of her, then that was the intention, if Dakota had intended to hurt the pup, you'd have never gotten her away from her or what you'd have gotten back would have been a dead pup.  

I would have to have seen the interaction between the two of them, before, during and after the event - but my take on it, from way you've said is that the pup has been duly chastised for doing something she should not have done in the first place.  Did she know then that she shouldn't have - probably not; does she know now - probably so.  Will things eventually revert to "normal", yes and probably quicker if you let them interact as much as you feel comfortable with. 

The only thing that I find odd about this is that most dogs recognize that puppies will play and will let them get away with almost anything (it's called "puppy license").  When they "cross the line" then the adult will correct them but normally stern corrections don't come till the pup's a couple of months old.  At this stage, Dakota should have just pushed her away - unless she did a few times and Cadence wasn't "listening."  Since you don't say anything about any blood, I'm going to have to assume that Dakota was issuing a correction ("behave brat!").

Let's see if I can get away with this.  Puppy was corrected - sternly corrected - and is now trying to find out just where the line is.  The fact that pup's sniffing Dakota suggests that she's not completely scared of her - just trying to figure out what happened and why.  This is just a personal observation from what I read, it sounds to me as if you're more upset about the whole thing than the dogs are - and that's going to have a very negative impact on how they relate to you and to each other.  Dogs will be dogs, they instinctively know how to get along and how to correct when their boundaries are crossed.

Yulia, cannot really give more advice than has already been given, however you need to bare 2 things in mind very seriously. You say the puppy is just 7 week old. She shouldnt be away from her mother let alone be at the park outdoors. A puppy should not be outdoors at all until after their vacinations, this is extremely important. Some of the things they can catch before them can (no other way of putting it) lead to their death.

On the other subjects however, persistance is key to everything. She doesnt "f-ing hate you" as you so delicately put it. She is 7 weeks old, she hardly knows what to like and hate yet. The likelyhood is she is simply scared. What is the "safe zone" you are talking about? The safe zone for a puppy that young is near their mother. Since you have her and there is now no chance of her being near mother that safe zone is near you, not away from you.

Hi!

I have a 2 year old and a 7 month old pup. They have been together for 3 months now. I find when I walk them together all hell brakes loose as they fight and bite and basically try to out do each other. At home it's a different kettle of fish, the pup will follow his older brother and rarely do they show aggression though they do play fight. For some reason when they are out it's completely different, like somebody flicks a switch.

What I'm trying to say is perhaps Dakota was mega excited and the puppy followed suit and it just got out of hand. I'm sure your pup doesn't hate you, though maybe a bit confused as you weren't there to protect it when it was feeling vulnerable. Just continue what you have been doing, with a pup consistency is the key and it'll soon feel reassured. Make sure you are confident in dealing with them as they will pick up on that.

And lastly good luck :)

Hey there glad to hear the pups are already going through the intro all over again :) I'll have to agree with Al here... Although alpha theory is a good one ("your dog must be a dog first, THEN your child") I do believe the term "dominance" and "alpha" is largely overused in our community today. Dogs are not wolves. Just because they jumped on a place higher doesn't mean they're trying to push their boundaries. I'd still say that day Dakota is just giving out a correction because she had had enough of Cadence. Not because she's being mean, or trying to be "alpha". And personally, I love how Al put it into words: "Behave, brat!" :lol::shrug: 

I got the puppy just 3 days before she turned 7 weeks. She is pretty big, and has one huge personality. She is not too little to be away from her mom and she has stopped crying much, period. I don't need to hear the nagging about taking this puppy from her mother, like I kidnapped a child. 

Regardless of how wrong it is of me to have this young of a puppy, I am doing my best. I am up every night, multiple times a night, patiently and gently house training this girl. 

I think her personality is a little "out there". She is very mischievous, and a princess. She does not like being roughed up, at all (by roughed up I mean wrestle with her, have her on your lap while you rub her, or something...). Which is opposite of what she can do! LOL Yes, she is only 7 weeks old, but you should see the things she can do. I have a 4 ft rope toy, and very thick and heavy-she drags it around the house. She picks up dog bowls and shoes and drags them across house and hides them. She helps herself pretty much to anything and with anything. 

We had a nice bonding day today, and she lets me pick her up again and cuddles. She has not cried at all this evening. So far so good. 

you guys were right, I am the traumatized one. I feel like the puppy will not listen to me and likes testing my patience to see if I will get angry. I don't but I feel even worse ignoring her attitude, because I don't know what else to do. I would never be more physical in teaching her. I am not going to smack her across the face, no way. As far as I have gone is a light tap on the side of the mouth, to get her attention. She never cries of that, and she has a very good response. She is able to make very long eye contact. 

This is exactly why it seems like a little snot giving me attitude. LOL Because I am working my butt off, trying to take care of her since she is only 7 weeks. I ask her as I have before when we started training, it doesn't work. I changed my behavior to be even more relaxed and patient, but she barely cares. 

I am going to read on training tips here, now. thanks and sorry if I seem to be making no sense. I am totally freaked out and stressed right now. Things went from great to fml. 

[quote name="juliapiano" post="894522" timestamp="1391324978"

you guys were right, I am the traumatized one. I feel like the puppy will not listen to me and likes testing my patience to see if I will get angry. I don't but I feel even worse ignoring her attitude, because I don't know what else to do. I would never be more physical in teaching her. I am not going to smack her across the face, no way. As far as I have gone is a light tap on the side of the mouth, to get her attention. She never cries of that, and she has a very good response. She is able to make very long eye contact.

This is exactly why it seems like a little snot giving me attitude. LOL Because I am working my butt off, trying to take care of her since she is only 7 weeks. I ask her as I have before when we started training, it doesn't work. I changed my behavior to be even more relaxed and patient, but she barely cares.

Yulia, I'm very sure nobody shot you down because you bought the puppy at seven weeks... We've seen plenty of even younger pups in the forum. In fact I think there had been one who's 2 weeks old. My personal reaction? I am very, very glad those young pups ended up in the hands of these people. The fact that they came here seeking for advice means they're truly trying their best to raise the puppy right. Reading your posts, I can clearly see you are, too! :) I can see that you care so much for the pooches and I applaud you for that not everyone has the patience to care for a husky let alone two xxx 

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any :)

Yulia, I echo Livs comment - it was, I think, intended as a statement of fact that a puppy shouldn't be taken from it's dam before 8 weeks and 10 is even better; I don't think anyone here was intentionally criticizing you.

The last few weeks, 6 - 10 weeks of age, are when a puppy learns, from its siblings, so much about how to be a responsible dog.  At the top of that list - for most pups is bite inhibition, this is the time that they're actively playing with their siblings as dogs and this is when they learn that biting too hard hurts! 

Please don't be offended, we're not meaning to hurt your feelings.

Husky's, as we've all found out are a very different breed of dog!  I've often said that it's not like living with a dog, it's more like living with another human - just one who can't communicate too well.  I think I suffer from that sometimes as well - I've stepped on a few toes here and had to backtrack quickly!

Like Nix said, she's not being a little snot, she's just being a puppy! (Which often feels like the same thing, no?)  We know you're doing the best you can - I don't think anyone would criticize for for being upset.  We've all been there, in one form or another, these dogs sometimes do seem to "push our buttons" just to see if they can - but really what they're doing is being a dog!  When they do I think most of us have found that simply correcting the action and then ignoring them is the best thing anyone can do.  Dogs - and puppies in particular - really do want to be part of a pack, they're social beast just like we humans are and depriving them, for the moment for correction, will get their attention faster than anything will.  At the same time, Husky's are noted for being independent - it's like us, it just seems as if sometimes they need "their space".

Have fun, enjoy your puppy and let us know how it's going; if you have questions, ask; you'll get some good advice from people here. 

Thank you all. My friend has the sibling. We got the last 2 puppies. So, I imagine the other pups went to new homes much earlier than mine did. :/

I like the comment someone made about ignoring the bad behavior, as she is a puppy and they will take any attention they can get. I completely agree with this logic. I have been very careful in what kind of attention she gets.

I actually think the problem resolved itself, since we spent all day playing yesterday. We bonded again, and Cadence seems to be behaving like a normal puppy again. :) 

She is not too little to be away from her mom and she has stopped crying much, period. I don't need to hear the nagging about taking this puppy from her mother, like I kidnapped a child.

I will repond to this given it was me who stated she is too young. I wasnt nagging you or saying you were in the wrong, so you can pretty much stop in your tracks with that one. You are asking people for advice, and we are giving it. One of the major things you are doing incorrectly at the moment is she is outdoors at 7 week old, as stated by yourself, and you need to stop this until she is vaccinated. You state she is not too little to be taken away from mum etc. I was not saying this as a "guess the puppy size", I was stating this as a matter of fact. It is not your fault, not even in the slightest. Its the fault of the person who allowed you to take her from her mother so young.

Look at it this way. You are having problems with the pup, correct? You are at a point where she would ordinarily still be picking up instinctive things passed down from her mother. So yes, it is difficult.

Regardless of how wrong it is of me to have this young of a puppy, I am doing my best. I am up every night, multiple times a night, patiently and gently house training this girl.

IT IS NOT WRONG OF YOU Julia. Appologies for the caps, as when people do that to me it annoys me. However I have done so in order to ensure you read that statement. You are tired, your stressed out, and you dont know what to do. The very very first thing you need to stop doing is a) being defensive because nobody has/is accusing you of doing things wrong other than the fact that the puppy has been outdoor and shouldnt have been, but hey we all learn somehow, and B) You seriously need to stop the thoughts toward the puppy.

Take a look at it from a completely different perpective. Try and find a picture, whether it be on the internet, one of your own, or wherever of a 3 month old baby. Look at the picture and ask yourself whether that top of the intellectual ladder human brain knows right from wrong yet? Probably not. This is a dog, and its only 7 week Julia. Patience, stick around, and stop bein paranoid. When Im bein an arse you'll know.... Ask Al Jones :P lol

Take a look at it from a completely different perpective. Try and find a picture, whether it be on the internet, one of your own, or wherever of a 3 month old baby. Look at the picture and ask yourself whether that top of the intellectual ladder human brain knows right from wrong yet? Probably not. This is a dog, and its only 7 week Julia. Patience, stick around, and stop bein paranoid. When Im NOT bein an arse you'll know.... Ask Al Jones :P lol

Edited by Al Jones

LOL sorry. I am just saying. When I was in 1st and 2nd grade, I had a very strict teacher and I thought she was mean. But she was not mean, I just didn't like being told what to do. Something along those lines. 

I understand that she should not be outside. But we are house training. When I take my big dog to the baseball fields where I can lock us in and let her run, sometimes Cadence is good and is fine with staying home and sometimes she starts throwing a fit. So I carry her around in my arms like a little baby. This may be wrong but she is getting her shots tomorrow, I believe. 

You guys say a puppy cannot know how to dislike, but today when I was ignoring her after she pee'd on the carpet (this was before I got the spray for the house) she actually growled as she looked, while laying in the middle of the kitchen floor. WTF 

BTW I am lucky I am double jointed. Here's a story: I run with my dogs. Dakota and I play tag all the time. Today she got too excited and was running so fast that when she would usually chase after me and I turn around to tag her, and she dodges me, she could not stop and knocked me on my butt pretty hard and my ankle twisted 90 degree angle. It didn't even hurt and I was so glad. That dog is intense when she plays. lol 

ALSO a little about me

I am extremely hyper, I go go go all day. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night and even stay up all night because I am excited to go go go again the next day. :D 

So if I talk ALOT, it probably will get off track somewhere in China. I type almost as fast as I play piano.