Silver Fang (Ginga Nagareboshi Gin)

Susanna

I decided to start new topic about legendary Silver Fang- series. (Ginga Nagareboshi Gin).

It´s an adventure manga by Yoshihiro Takahashi. The series tells the story of an Akita Inu pup called Gin (Japanese for "silver") who leaves his master, a young boy named Daisuke, to join a pack of wild dogs. The pack is gathering strong dogs from all over Japan to fight a deranged bear named Akakabuto and his minions. The story begins from the point of view of the humans, but swings to the dogs with episode seven of the anime. It is in that episode that the audience hears the dogs communicating with each other through speech, though it continues to be barks and whines to human ears. Takahashi was reportedly inspired by a news article about hunting dogs that had been abandoned by their masters and had begun living as wild animals.

Ginga Nagareboshi Gin was adapted as a 21-episode anime television series by Toei Animation. In western countries the anime was released as a set of four VHS tapes, and censored for violent images. This led to the removal of several plot-critical scenes, including all footage from the episodes preceding the series finale as well as the deaths of certain characters. Due to limitations of sound-editing at the time this resulted in the background music of certain scenes to be lost.

typically, the anime has become extremely popular in the Nordic countries (particularly Finland, Denmark and Sweden). The anime has been dubbed in Korean, Finnish, Hungarian, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish. The Finnish dub, Hopeanuoli, was created by Golden Voice OY and became wildly popular. In 2003 the uncensored and non-dubbed version of the cartoon was released in Finland and Sweden as a 5 DVD box set. A corresponding DVD set was released in Denmark and Norway on October 3, 2006.

Now I´m just curious to know how many know these series around the world? Like in England or USA? :) I have been great fan since 90´s. I was only 5 or 6 year old when I saw this first time. And still it is just awesome! We are having great fan community in Finland. And many (also including me) are collecting all kind of fan stuffs. I have all these manga books from 80.s and original VHS- collection in early 90.s. I also have ordered several extra Mangas and posters directly from Japan. (We have awesome shop for this).

Yoshihiro Takahashi has also created many others dog series. Latest are adventures of Silver Fang´s son Weed.

hopeanuoli04.jpg

Here you can watch the opening theme of anime

Want to know more? Unofficial Finnish GNG-site

My fanArt about GNG you can find in my gallery here.

B)