Baths And Shampoo's...

AzurA

so my puppy is almost 3 months old now

i ask when can i start hosing him down ? 

i read about shampoos and stuff, some say i can use human shampoos some say dont

what do u guys think ?

if human shampoo is ok, would head and shoulders be ok for my husky ? it works wonder on our hair, just thought it would be great if i could use it on him...

I am honest here in the 3 and a bit years Bindi and 2,5 years Alpha have been with us the have been washed once, last year with warm water and anti flea shampoo for dogs with long hair....

I have been told never ever to use human shampoo but if you have nothing else only to use baby shampoo...more then likely somebody can give you a better answer on this....

Huskies generally seem to have a coat that doesn't require much cleaning.  Mud seems to just dry and flake off them.  Bathing therefore is needed far less than for normal dogs.  I only attempt to bathe mine once a year if I'm being honest and even then, I didn't properly manage to get Bear bathed (she's a terror, lol).

I wouldn't use head and shoulders as it's far too strong for them and could possibly cause a skin irritation.  A baby shampoo would be slightly better although not ideal, and a shampoo designed for dogs would be better recommended.  I have a doggie dry shampoo that I use to keep them smelling fresh (Bear runs and hides under my bed as soon as she sees the bottle!  She recognises it!  lol). I don't even use that very often as they don't seem to smell as much as regular dogs do. 

Don't use human (or baby) shampoo on a dog on a regular basis. They are designed for humans and have different pH values that aren't suitable for the dogs skin. Overuse of those will dry out their skin, let alone the extra added ingredients in the shampoo that may could your dog. The same goes for washing your dog too often, it will strip away their natural oil and thus their protection.

Personally, in the last 8 or 9 year I have never bathed my dogs. They just really needed it.

I have mine groomed about twice a year, but that's mostly to help with the coat blow.  I had to bathe Yukon 3 times in a week because he had peed his crate when he had a UTI and I just used a doggie shampoo :)

• Like 1

Doron, as other have noted using human shampoos (even baby shampoos) will tend to leave your dogs skin dry and his fur - I can't think of a better work than - deranged!

Since the Nordic dogs, in general, have very little odor and they seem to be like cats when it comes to personal hygiene, it's probably best to just let them take care of themselves.  I went into the city today and stopped at Aqua Fria to see how the springs were running (they weren't) but Sasha got a chance to go wading in the mud.  She's now licking herself clean and truth be told I couldn't tell she'd been hock deep in mud if I didn't know it.

If you really must wash them - as in they get into something that stinks to high heaven - get the most gentle dog shampoo you can find and then dilute it ... it doesn't take much to really dry out their skin and hair.  After you figure you've got all the shampoo out of them - rinse them another time or two ...

I have to add this - my lab, to the contrary, always smelled doggie - didn't matter how much or how little time she spent in the water, when she'd had her last bath or what shampoo I used - 24 hours after a bath she smelled doggie.  (( Not that bad, but enough ))

Edited by Al Jones

the only reason why Dime gets bathed every 2 months is because my dad wants him to. He insisted Dime "smelled", but nobody else agrees! :shrug: his shampoo is also a dog shampoo. I forgot what it's called but it's designed to soften the fur and enhance the white color. I would strongly recommend against human shampoo the pH level is different xxx

• 5 years later...
4 minutes ago, Melissakarika said:

Is it ok 2 bath ur husky in janola

If it is the New Zealand brand then it looks to me as it is a kitchen and bathroom cleaner brand which is mostly bleach then NO you cannot bath your dog in that...same as you would not wash yourself in that...

As mentioned before never ever use any other product that is not intended for dog use never use human products or any cleaning aids Kirea is 9 now I think she as been washed only once when she decided to roll in fox poo she loves rolling in muddy puddles I just rub her down then let it just fall off. If you feel you need to bathe you pup or husky get a shampoo designed for them.

20190223_092852.jpg

• Haha 1

@Kered what a happy Husky❣️

I personally would not use human shampoo. The chemicals in them could cause issues.

From the research I did, it states not to.

In 18 months mine have only had two baths. I had to use a medical prescription shampoo because they have environmental allergies and were stretching really bad.

Other then that I use witch hazel to wipe their legs and paws after a run.