Blowing Coat And Scratching

Hey all,  

So Max has been blowing his coat for the last couple weeks and has been really itchy while doing it.  I was wondering if this is normal.  I found it peculiar that it is only when we are inside.  It can't be something indoors he is allergic to since nothing has changed since I got him.  It has been snowing a lot outside and I am thinking the snow helps to alleviate the itching.  Any advice would be nice.  I will be giving him a warm bath this weekend.  No Shampoo since he's not actually needing a shampoo.

Hi. I can't really remember is Harry scratched that much when he shed his coat last summer, but I guess it's understandable if they do. I'm guessing you treat him for fleas? That would be the first thing to eliminate and regular brushing will help to remove the falling hair. I was brushing mine twice a day when he was blowing his coat. Also does the skin underneath look red/sore?

I'm sure someone on here will know if it's usual for them to scratch at this time, good luck!

Are you giving him his flea and tick meds still? I give mine his year-round, even during the winter, just in case. Those things can live in your house over the winter...

Also, not sure if you're already doing this, but during a coat blow you'll want to brush him atleast once a day. This will not only help the blow finish faster, but it may help to alleviate his itching. 

Hi there!  Although I can't say that I've noticed my 2 become more itchy when they're blowing their coats, I have heard others mention this so to some extent I'm guessing it is normal.  Regular grooming and the occasional warm bath should help to loosen up and remove some of the fur but honestly nothing on this earth will get it all out at once!  lol

However, one thing  you said that's bothering me slightly is that his skin is red which Is making me wonder if he could be itchy for another reason. Either that or his continual scratching is irritating the skin,like when we get an itchy bit and scratch at it.  We end up with the itchy area becoming sore and bright red!  Yet we still scratch it anyway.  :rolleyes: 

Have you given him any new treats/food?  Changed washing detergent/fabric softener? Or washed his bedding or the carpets with something recently?   One thing I've heard is good for itchy skin is an oatmeal bath.  Not entirely sure how that works and I haven't personally tried it out but it's one thing that regularly crops up on "itchy" threads. 

I just got done with the warm bath and I got to thinking there might have been a possibility that I may not have thoroughly rinsed the flea shampoo from the last flea dip.  If so I know left over soaps leave irritations for pretty much any living being.  His intense scratching started shortly after it.  Hopefully so, because I gave him another warm bath right after the first one to make sure no residue from the flea dip was left.  So two baths of warm water while using a fur brush... a few equivalents to rabbit pelts later and Maximus is drying himself in the corner. Hoping the bath cuts the itching down.   

Oatmeal bath?  Is oatmeal bad for ingestion with Huskies?  I might have to try that at a later date if not.

I found a link for you because honestly I'm not sure how to do it properly! Lol. I doubt it would be considered bad as its not much different to most fillers used in kibble, however if your dogs intolerant to it, then it would probably not be a good idea to let them eat it, lol. Hope this helps......

http://www.allergydogcentral.com/2011/03/03/dog-allergy-treatments-oatmeal-baths/

I actually have a juvenile question here: when will a pup begin to blow their coat in terms of how old they are? I brush Otto each day to get excess hair and prevent any knots or clumps, but since he is 12 weeks today, will he blow it after "the big shed" takes place, or is that the same as his first blowing of the coat?

I actually have a juvenile question here: when will a pup begin to blow their coat in terms of how old they are? I brush Otto each day to get excess hair and prevent any knots or clumps, but since he is 12 weeks today, will he blow it after "the big shed" takes place, or is that the same as his first blowing of the coat?

Not entirely sure, but its good you're brushing him everyday and getting him used to the brush. Be sure to touch his paws, and put your fingers in his mouth, during this time too...to make sure he gets used to it. Reward him with a treat (or whatever else he likes) when he responds well. 

Alright here's the skinny... It was partial nutrition deficiency.  The food he was on was not fully agreeing with his stomach so he was not absorbing all the nutrients he needed.  That is what the vet has said.  Right now I am transitioning him to Pro Plan Sensitive stomach and giving him 10 mg of zinc a day.  The red is gone the loss of hair has minimized and itching is down.  Overall I am happy it is something as simple as that.