Vegan/vegetarian Husky?

i was talking to some guys out there who have been feeding their dogs (not huskies) on a vegan and/or a less strict vegetarian diet for years - apparently you can now actually buy branded poducts.

they assert its the best healty option for a dog (but not a cat) - i say its not especially for a husky.

anyone an opinion on this - imho a "vegan husky" would be one of the rarest animals on the planet but i could be wrong.

Definitely not. Dogs are mostly carnivores, they need certain vitamins and amino acids that only meats (or meat-based kibble) can provide. I can't stand it when people insist on feeding their dog vegan stuff. Just let a dog be a dog. 

I say they are 'mostly carnivores' because...well...look at their teeth. Most of them are built for tearing, ripping, and crushing. But dogs, like wolves and other canids in the wild, will eat other kinds of food because they are instinctively opportunistic. 

• Like 4

Well, okay, that got me to looking and the response I see on the net flabbergasted me!  It seems as if dogs that are on strict vegetarian diet do have considerably longer, healthier life spans than those who aren't.

However, I personally have to agree with Elyse - dogs (all canids that I know of) are primarily carnivores.  They may eat and enjoy the occasional carrot but I wonder how easy it would be in the long run to ensure they had sufficient protein / vitamins / minerals that they require for a healthy life.

If, again as Elyse said, you look at a dogs anatomy from the teeth on back, they're "built" for flesh eating.  A dog has the shortest digestive tracts than any other mammal, the hydrochloric acid in its stomach is among the strongest.  A dog is, as I said, built for eating meat. 

You and I, as humans, can live on a strictly vegetarian diet - a dog could as well, but I'd have to question the difficulty of achieving the needed dietary nutrients.

• Like 1

imho dogs are omnivores - my big girl akira loves apples, bananas, pumpkins, carrots, blueberries etc - the wee one nova just likes carrots - before she got spayed akira was a very picky eater now she has the appetite of a horse lol.

Definitely not. Dogs are mostly carnivores, they need certain vitamins and amino acids that only meats (or meat-based kibble) can provide. I can't stand it when people insist on feeding their dog vegan stuff. Just let a dog be a dog. 

I say they are 'mostly carnivores' because...well...look at their teeth. Most of them are built for tearing, ripping, and crushing. But dogs, like wolves and other canids in the wild, will eat other kinds of food because they are instinctively opportunistic. 

Totally agree! 

• Like 1

It just seems dumb to me that some people would push their beliefs on their dog. If dogs ever evolve to have the teeth of a cow then maybe LOL. Our teeth are indicators of the diet we are meant to eat and that includes meat for humans and primarily meat for canines. 

Life is about quality, depriving a dog of one of their favourite things in life like gnawing a meaty bone for the sake of an extra year of life is not a good formula in my opinion.

• Like 2

I can understand why humans would want to go vegan/vegetarian, we do some pretty nasty stuff to animals intended to be used for our food, but a dog isn't going to beat up a pig before taking it to slaughter, the dog will kill and eat it cause that's what they do...Not to mention as pointed out they're not built for living off of such a diet, I can only imagine some of the other issues these dogs have, I can understand putting your dog on an organic, free-range diet if you're personally vegan/vegetarian but making your dog eat that way isn't cool...Champ was on a brand of food that was mostly plant-based for a while because I didn't know any better, then I joined the forum and promptly changed his food to a more meat-based food that I could still afford once I was informed of how horrible the food was for him, the improvement in his coat and energy level was rather apparent within the first week of the switch, I wonder if the owners of these dogs would see a much better, happier canine if they actually fed a dog what it's meant to have...

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 1/9/2014 at 11:51 PM, BlueWolf said:

Whether dogs are omnivorous or carnivorous is still up for a debate but that they aren't herbivorous shouldn't even be questioned. Dogs need meat in their diet one way in order to stay healthy. Putting your dog on a vegan diet is imo animal cruelty.

Animal cruelty is sponsoring meat industry where farm animals suffer unimaginably. Dogs can survive without meat as humans also, there are a lot of myths about plant food not having enough nutrients. Just digestive system might be less effective. Deer survive alone on what grows in fields, grass and are strong animals. 

I have been vegetarian for 40 years  - hubby been vegetarian for 30 years.

Marley and Lunar's diet over a week - 10 day period:

Duck mince

Duck necks

Lamb heart chunks

lamb neck chunks

lamb ribs

premium beef mince

premium pure beef chunks

premium salmon chunks

veal offal

veal - natures denture sticks   (treat)

turkey necks

chicken carcases

beef trachea

Liver - although I have to dehydrate it before Marley will eat liver

raw eggs  (our own)

raw carrots  -  they also like peas and brussel sprouts (but these have to be cooked),  cauliflower cheese is a favourite   -  as is the raw leaf stalk from spring greens

apples  (stolen from my trees)

tomatoes (again stolen)  -  seemingly a favourite for Marley whenever he can get at them - Lunar does not touch them

In addition they get a sampling  of whatever we are eating after our meal (leftovers)

We never throw food away  -  if there is anything left it either goes into the dogs or the hens

A dog can get all it's vitamin and mineral requirements from a pure carnivore diet  -  no-one will ever convince me a dog should be totally vegetarian - let alone vegan.

• Like 2

I don't really think that Humans can be compared to dogs or that a herbivore can be compared to a carnivore as our bodies are deigned to metabolise and digest things differently. Even down to things like raisins....ok for humans but toxic for dogs.

A herbivore is designed meticulously to eat a certain food type and so are Carnivores and omnivores.

If I ate nothing but Big Macs for the rest of my life then yes i would probably survive but ultimately I would not thrive. I would imagine it's the same for animals. They might be able to survive on a limited diet but it's not going to be doing them any good.

Animal cruelty is sponsoring meat industry where farm animals suffer unimaginably. Dogs can survive without meat as humans also, there are a lot of myths about plant food not having enough nutrients. Just digestive system might be less effective. Deer survive alone on what grows in fields, grass and are strong animals. 

You really cannot compare a dog to a deer! I'm not a meat eater and I know full well about animal cruelty, but dogs are completely different to humans. I would never compromise my dog's health for my own ethical values

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk