Specific Reasons For Giving Up A Husky

Chula

I dont understand this. I'm a full time college student, pre law at that, I work in property management (harder than most college jobs) have 2 roommates and a girlfriend which I've never asked nor expected help from with Otto, and like someone said I've spent every hour I can working with and pleasing my dog.

That being said, how can someone not be prepared or have time, you have to make time. My earliest classes this semester, for example, are at 10 (MWF) and 11 (TR) but I wake up at 8 every morning to keep Otto on his feeding schedule. I invest time and money into building him into a healthy, happy, well behaved dog.

I guess my point is that people are lazy. I guess they look at the cosmetics or a dog in public who is 4 years old and 4 years trained. Giving up a dog is animal cruelty I dont care what anyone says. It's inhumane to give away it's chance at a good life. Sorry to rant, but it bothers me. Makes it that much more exceptional to see people that do the good job with their animals, regardless of species or breed within.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hi forum, I am a recent husky owner, two actually, 1.5 and 3 years old half brothers.about 1 month ago we took them in (re-homed them) after their owner passed away. We had border collies before this and decided we would add family members like our border collie was. However, things have not turned out as planned. I am not one to give up, I believe in always seeing things through but without actually any sleep or ability to do our work in this month it has become a full time job which we can't afford to do. The youngest basically wakes up several times in the night howling/barking, nothing helps and he doesn't calm down. We are lucky if we get 5 hours sleep each day and then have to nap in the daytime to try to get sleep which means no work. We're knackered, exhausted. Our own personal dreams for running our family business are basically gone as I see it at the moment, we do not have time for it. They stay inside and are crated at night because otherwise the youngest will just pee everywhere as he feels (even on his brother's bed). We have a pen/kennel  outside for the daytime/freetime and take them on runs to tire them out at night but basically we have no time to do anything else during the day apart from vac, mop, brush them, stop them fighting. If we leave the house they have to go in their crates (or the youngest will pee and go chaotic destroying everything in the hall way and howling, barking until we are back, even if it's a short time. They try to get out of the crates if we leave them in but we don't have a choice or they'll destroy the house. We have bolts both inside and outside the front door because one day they had opened it by jumping up on the door, flicked the  lock and handle and were outside with us doing benny hill trying to get them back in. The fence around our garden is high enough but if left unsupervised I believe they'd find a way out so we have to be ridiculously careful going out of the house. we didn't get them as puppies or see them as cute, we saw them as intelligent family dogs who could fit into our lifestyle, but they are just too much. We have a very low protein dog food, so they are not on rocket fuel. Point is, when you have to give up your own life's dreams to babysit 24/7 then perhaps giving away a husky to someone who does have the time to spend all day with them is better for them in the long term? The older dog is actually very well behaved and has a go at the younger one for his attitude every morning but  despite our attempts to give the youngest a loving, caring environment he seems oblivious, wild almost.He's a sweetheart, but the peeing were/when he wants instead of holding it like he can and the lack of sleep, well I'm out of options entirely.

My daily routine goes like this:

Go to bed at 10-11pm, takes the youngest at least 1-2 hours to fall asleep whilst howling/barking (vibration collars have little effect), wake up 3am with another hour of howling, barking. wake up 0630 with howling barking. (today was actually 0540hrs and he didn't go back to sleep at all, I just got up then at 7am anyway lying knackered in bed hoping for a miracle. let them out to pee/ poo, which they didn't see that interested in.Dozed on the couch for 3 hours because I was shattered and also to let everyone else in the house get some rest whilst they slept on the living room floor (finally). Woke up, fed them and took them for a walk (I should actually have been working way before this). came back 1100hrs, brush them, vacuumed the house (mess), mopped (mess) finally showered and then 12 I made lunch for the rest of the house. it's now 1pm.

The dogs slept for 3 hours enabling me to put dishes in the dishwasher and start some work (I work from home luckily or I'd have been fired already). Short lived, anything goes by the window they are up. Our boys are on school holidays, also need attention. Can't get much done with their interruptions. Dogs want to go out, I let them, by now it's almost 5pm and bugger all done for work. Now I have to start thinking about dinner for the house. Have to put them in the crate or outside whilst I cook or they whine next to them counter. But them in the crates they howl. But them outside they try to get back in.After we've eaten, they usually eat too. It's now nearly 7.30pm - 1 hour of the kids entertaining the dogs whilst watching the news. Then have to take them for a 5km run to try to tire before bed in the hope the youngest will one day sleep. Come back 10pm, some water since they thirsty, stress and calming tablet for the youngest hoping it will help in the night, put them in the crate in the hall and go to bed absolutely shattered. Rinse repeat. 2 hours howling, waking in the middle of the night - you see the picture now.

in my opinion, i would say these two dogs are not to happy as home dogs unfortunately (at least the youngest). I'm struggling and we are seriously on the edge of giving them away (which i don't like at all but I have no idea how long i can survive on no sleep, no energy and soon, no work.

On 6/11/2020 at 6:46 PM, Jimmy Jones said:

Hi forum, I am a recent husky owner, two actually, 1.5 and 3 years old half brothers.about 1 month ago we took them in (re-homed them) after their owner passed away. We had border collies before this and decided we would add family members like our border collie was. However, things have not turned out as planned. I am not one to give up, I believe in always seeing things through but without actually any sleep or ability to do our work in this month it has become a full time job which we can't afford to do. The youngest basically wakes up several times in the night howling/barking, nothing helps and he doesn't calm down. We are lucky if we get 5 hours sleep each day and then have to nap in the daytime to try to get sleep which means no work. We're knackered, exhausted. Our own personal dreams for running our family business are basically gone as I see it at the moment, we do not have time for it. They stay inside and are crated at night because otherwise the youngest will just pee everywhere as he feels (even on his brother's bed). We have a pen/kennel  outside for the daytime/freetime and take them on runs to tire them out at night but basically we have no time to do anything else during the day apart from vac, mop, brush them, stop them fighting. If we leave the house they have to go in their crates (or the youngest will pee and go chaotic destroying everything in the hall way and howling, barking until we are back, even if it's a short time. They try to get out of the crates if we leave them in but we don't have a choice or they'll destroy the house. We have bolts both inside and outside the front door because one day they had opened it by jumping up on the door, flicked the  lock and handle and were outside with us doing benny hill trying to get them back in. The fence around our garden is high enough but if left unsupervised I believe they'd find a way out so we have to be ridiculously careful going out of the house. we didn't get them as puppies or see them as cute, we saw them as intelligent family dogs who could fit into our lifestyle, but they are just too much. We have a very low protein dog food, so they are not on rocket fuel. Point is, when you have to give up your own life's dreams to babysit 24/7 then perhaps giving away a husky to someone who does have the time to spend all day with them is better for them in the long term? The older dog is actually very well behaved and has a go at the younger one for his attitude every morning but  despite our attempts to give the youngest a loving, caring environment he seems oblivious, wild almost.He's a sweetheart, but the peeing were/when he wants instead of holding it like he can and the lack of sleep, well I'm out of options entirely.

My daily routine goes like this:

Go to bed at 10-11pm, takes the youngest at least 1-2 hours to fall asleep whilst howling/barking (vibration collars have little effect), wake up 3am with another hour of howling, barking. wake up 0630 with howling barking. (today was actually 0540hrs and he didn't go back to sleep at all, I just got up then at 7am anyway lying knackered in bed hoping for a miracle. let them out to pee/ poo, which they didn't see that interested in.Dozed on the couch for 3 hours because I was shattered and also to let everyone else in the house get some rest whilst they slept on the living room floor (finally). Woke up, fed them and took them for a walk (I should actually have been working way before this). came back 1100hrs, brush them, vacuumed the house (mess), mopped (mess) finally showered and then 12 I made lunch for the rest of the house. it's now 1pm.

The dogs slept for 3 hours enabling me to put dishes in the dishwasher and start some work (I work from home luckily or I'd have been fired already). Short lived, anything goes by the window they are up. Our boys are on school holidays, also need attention. Can't get much done with their interruptions. Dogs want to go out, I let them, by now it's almost 5pm and bugger all done for work. Now I have to start thinking about dinner for the house. Have to put them in the crate or outside whilst I cook or they whine next to them counter. But them in the crates they howl. But them outside they try to get back in.After we've eaten, they usually eat too. It's now nearly 7.30pm - 1 hour of the kids entertaining the dogs whilst watching the news. Then have to take them for a 5km run to try to tire before bed in the hope the youngest will one day sleep. Come back 10pm, some water since they thirsty, stress and calming tablet for the youngest hoping it will help in the night, put them in the crate in the hall and go to bed absolutely shattered. Rinse repeat. 2 hours howling, waking in the middle of the night - you see the picture now.

in my opinion, i would say these two dogs are not to happy as home dogs unfortunately (at least the youngest). I'm struggling and we are seriously on the edge of giving them away (which i don't like at all but I have no idea how long i can survive on no sleep, no energy and soon, no work.

Sounds like they could have separation anxiety which can be common in sibes 

• 2 weeks later...

You sound as though you are trying hard but I’m wondering if you’re trying in the wrong direction? Is it just you and your boys and the dogs, no partner maybe? When we got Luna she was 6+ and had come from quite a chaotic household where she had another Husky for company. I had no idea about huskies and took her because I felt what I could offer had to be better than what she had.

Within a couple of days I was ringing a rescue asking if they might take her. They suggested they could if I was desperate but they preferred new owners to keep their dog for at least six months. I persevered, in the first few weeks she had pooed and peed in every room if we went out, she could open every door just about. We left her outside one day when we went to shop and came back to find her inside, she had ripped out the cat flap until she could squeeze through the hole. Our front window was smeared with husky snot where she pressed her nose to the window. I never imagined she would react to her move that way, I was very naive. Looking back I realise I needed more guidance and possibly I should have invested in some training. She is walked twice a day, she has no idea how to play with humans, doesn’t play ball, doesn’t tug, won’t engage in food hide and seek etc.

My thoughts in your situation would be to watch husky training videos or even just dog training, think about giving yourself a break by booking them into doggy day care once a week, maybe one at a time so you can spend time with each of them separately. You say their food is low protein, I’m not sure that is wise, dogs need protein and some fat, I also hope it isn’t kibble. Invest in some recreational bones to give them an interest, maybe think about feeding raw which is supposed to calm dogs down. Dogs like children need rules and boundaries and they need to know what’s acceptable. A month is no time at all for them to settle into a new home, you’re strange, the environment is strange and it’s no surprise they are restless and anxious, the one thing they can both relate to is you and you keep disappearing so naturally they want to know where you are. For the first 2 weeks we had Luna we just had her sleep in our bedroom, she never moved all night. One night she made it clear she didn’t actually want to sleep with us lol and now she sleeps wherever she chooses, often outside.

She’s been with us 2 and a half years, she’s a really love dog and I don’t regret taking her in, she isn’t however particularly affectionate, she doesn’t ever approach us for interaction, we have to make all the effort. Even after all this time I think she is still settling in. It takes time, lots of it.

First and foremost consider if you are prepared/are able to invest some time and or cash into your dogs in order to incorporate them into your family, you sound as though that’s what you want but if it’s not what you can offer you may need to rethink. Have a good look through this forum, there is lots of help and advice from seasoned husky owners, with some help and planning I’m sure you could turn this situation around and have yourself 2 family friendly huskies. I hope so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk