Specific Reasons For Giving Up A Husky

Chula

I was scouring the local husky rescue group websites (like I often do, dreaming of a new packmate) and many of the reasons the rescues list for having the dogs in their care is because previous owners "weren't prepared for husky ownership".

I have never owned another breed of dog, so I have nothing to compare husky ownership to. I know that we often talk about breed specific behaviors, and that huskies can be hard to train and require a lot of exercise - but is there something else I am missing? Chula was/is a challenge, but giving her up wasn't even a consideration. Sincere question, not snarky at all - are there medium/large dogs that don't require any exercise or training or attention? Are labs or gsds *that* much easier?

If you have worked in rescue/shelter, are there more specific reasons people have for giving up their husky? Were they people who have had other types of dogs and it was just *that* much harder to have a husky? Did we just get off easy with a dog who was pretty easy to potty train, crate trained without too much work, is nippy but not aggressive? Obviously we had our challenges (she's a Hoover!), but if I'm looking for husky #2, am I going to get slammed with something that we just lucked out on missing with Chu?

Edited by Chula

Ok. Excuses ive heard.

Having a baby

plays too rough with younger/smaller/older dog

Saw news article on attack no longer trust dog

No time for it due to work/relationship change

destroyed house (dog wasnt walked much mind you)

Kid/husband/self allergic to it

kids scared of it

killed rabbit/parrot/cat etcetc

did i cover most of them?

The main difference I have noticed with the other dogs I have had( Lab, mongrels, collies -rough and border,and irish setters) is that they are mostly much more eager to please and do what you ask sometimes even before you ask. One of my huskies is unbelievably stubborn - even my cat is better trained.

The other main difference is the fact that they cannot be off lead in 'normal' places e.g.beach or forestry walks. Some folks can't be bothered with all the extra precautions for ensuring they don't get out or off lead.

Huskies are harder to train because they're motivations are different. A regular dog is generally more biddable and desperate to please owners, whereas a husky looks at you and thinks "whatever!". There are very obvious differences, but that doesn't mean a husky will be a wild untameable beast, as you already know, it is possible to do but because it's harder most people just aren't prepared to put up with training, exercising their dogs properly and end up with it destroying their home. That's when they end up in a rescue centre citing not prepared as the excuse.

Lol. Just seen Stormchasers beaten me to it! ;)

The general population, in my opinion, are 'lazy dog owners'. 

Let me explain. They want a dog, they want a smart dog, a well-behaved dog, one that listens............BUT few are willing to put in the time it takes to train the dog - ANY dog, not just a siberian.

I have two very well behaved Sibes. Ryn, more so than Petunia, but Petunie has only been with us since April of 2013. 

When I take them places, people comment on how well they behave, listen and how intelligent they are.I hear: "I've always wanted a husky. If I'd have known they were this well-behaved, I'd already have one."

At which point I tell them that it didn't just "happen" - it took work, commitment and time! And then I relate a couple stories from Ryn's puppyhood.

A lab is a "What can I do for you" canine.........an "I want to please you" canine. My hubby has a lab/rottie cross. It's a good match for him (especially since our son trained him first! --- Cuz hubby isn't much for making any dog mind) My girls adore hubby, but it's mostly because they know how to get what they want from him.

we do try with Storm but she just looks at you with the 'Whatever' look. I honestly have never had a dog that walks away when you bring out the lead. She does a lap of the hall and lounge then a stretch and yawn and then wanders over to let you put the lead on. I have actually gone without her a couple of times but instead of howling for me to come back she just curls up on the nearest chair.

Thanks for the input. It's funny that I am a husky owner and am still worried about whether I am "prepared to be a husky owner"! I don't think having one dog who is just over a year old qualifies me as experienced, so I want to make sure that I am ready and truly understand what we could face before adding a second. :)

That's funny. Chula does the same thing. She WANTS to go for walks, but as soon as the harness comes out she starts running away. It can take five minutes of pretending that I am going to go on a walk without her before she will sit still long enough to get it on her.

we do try with Storm but she just looks at you with the 'Whatever' look. I honestly have never had a dog that walks away when you bring out the lead. She does a lap of the hall and lounge then a stretch and yawn and then wanders over to let you put the lead on. I have actually gone without her a couple of times but instead of howling for me to come back she just curls up on the nearest chair.

I grew up with a staff as our family dog. He was the most wonderfully loyal, loving, obedient dog we could have asked for. During his younger years I can remember being distraught that he had chewed my Disney videos and I can also remember that he chewed through a plaster board wall. So I believe any dog can/will be destructive. But I think the main reason is the sheer intelligence of the Sibe. Sometimes it's just so frustrating when I'm trying to get one of my girls to listen to me and I can see them staring at me and hear those ever present cogs turning. Is there anything better I can get off her that I couldn't get myself? I truly believe that reason comes high on the ranking list. 99% of the time I truly appreciate my girls intelligence but my non husky parents just absolutely wouldn't

Mishka, Maiko and Kiya

Since I've had a couple of GSD's and several Labs in my life, I'll take a stab at this.  (Stormchasers reply came up as I was typing so excuse the redundancy, please)

From my experience

Labs are generally a lot more apt to want to do what you want, they really want to be with you 24/7 and will go to almost any extreme to make you want their company.  It's an almost slavish desire to please that make them on one hand great dogs and on the other a bleeding nuisance! 

GSD's - I'm kinda partial to them - like Husky's are a breed all their own.  Yes, they want to be around you but they're also a lot more apt to be 'looking out' for anything that might be a problem and very apt to 'take care of the problem' even before you're aware there is one... like a Husky, they may sometimes decide that they aren't going to do what you want - but it's also their way of saying that they aren't comfortable with <something>.

Of my two Husky's Avalanche has a Lab / Husky mentality - there are times he's anxious to go with me, other time he can't be bothered.  Sasha is definitely Husky - "You're going out, okay let me know when you get back!"  Alternatively I get "Aren't you ready to go yet?"

I think, again from my experience when you talk about Labs and Shepherds you can pretty much say that as a breed they'll do this or that.  With the exception of some of them getting snappy as they get old they're both going to be more apt to desire and exhibit that desire than a Husky is.  A Husky is a lot more "a person in fur" than I'd say that either of the other two are.

With a Husky, as you well know, they all have their own personality and (from an old Jewish proverb) you get two of them together and you've got three different viewpoints.  They are quite definitely a breed all their own.

(( and there have been about six replies since I've been typing so .... who knows how much I've duplicated someone elses comments ))

lots of people get huskies because of "looks" and looks alone. they do zero research on the breed. or if they did research, they think "how bad can it be"

theres always tons of huskies for adoption in our area, much more than any other dog breed it seems.

Some things I think to cause this:

-Shedding

-Destructive

-Diggers

-Active

-Stubborn and hard to train

and if they dog gets zero exercise these things get mulitpled 100x. you end up with a really bored really hyper husky.

So, for those of you who have been around awhile and who have read some of the things we have struggled with while raising/training Chula - do you think our husky experience is "normal"? We had the major issue of her eating things and needing surgery, but also some setbacks in potty training after we moved, and some issues with jumping/biting during walks and in the yard that I have almost entirely eliminated.

We haven't had any major destruction because we crate while out, and because I am a helicopter husky parent out of fear that she will eat something and need surgery again. 

Or in other words, in all honesty (please, do be honest, but gently :) ) from what you know of me on this forum, do you think we are ready to add another?

Lol, Chula. I'll be totally honest here, your biggest hurdle is not your ability but your confidence and self doubt. You already have what it takes to be a good, excellent husky momma but you need to believe in yourself more. Hope that wasn't too bad? :)

Like all of us, we have to learn and we all learn differently - I had to learn the hard way, but I'm not alone - I think I'd have to agree with Emma, the major problem you have isn't the dog but your own self confidence, but then you've had a couple of "confidence shakers" in your time with Chula.  So, yeh, I think you're good for at least three more!

I know. :) . All of us make mistakes from time to time, i certainly do! Lol. Good luck Chula, as you already know, I think you'd make a great mummy to 2 huskies. It's really up to you, if you're ready to take the plunge.

I agree with Emma, your own confidence is holding you back. We cannot make the decision, and you have time on your side. Take time and find the right dog, then it will be ok. We had doubts until we got home with Solo, the meetings went well we had fallen for him but going to collect him we were still saying 'are we doing the right thing' 12month's on wouldnt change a thing.

I would also have to agree...experience-wise I think you could handle pretty much anything!  Chula has pretty much tested about every husky trait there is lol.  It is scary taking on the second one, because it does change things ALOT.  It is challenging, but not impossible.  If you take your time and find the right dog I think that you would make an excellent husky mommy for a second (or third!).  In my case, it made things much easier after I got Yukon, but I don't think that is typical. Nikko has always been a naughty husky but he got much better after getting Yukon.  I think it was mainly that he was bored and I had to give him my attention ALL the time!  

why not wait until the one dog you own is trained and behaves the way you want before getting a second. I know thats my plan. I wont add a second dog until the first is properly trained and to the standards id like.

otherwise its just twice the work and twice the headache.

I do feel like she is very close to where she needs to be. She doesn't pull (much) on walks. She is crate trained. Potty trained. Well behaved when properly exercised. She still plays with her mouth, but she is mostly gentle and stops when told she's being too rough. The areas where she needs work are "recall" and not going after squirrels and cats on walks.  But I'm not sure either of those will ever be 100 percent good.

I'm more concerned that maybe she wasn't as difficult as I thought she was to get to this point. I've literally invested every waking hour I had in her since the day we got her, even when that meant not sleeping! But if other people turn their dogs in because they were "unprepared", what have I missed? Does it just mean they didn't want to get up and walk for an hour each morning? Or put up with the crying while crate training? Or bother crate training at all and get mad when the dog eats a shoe? Did they just have unrealistic expectations of dog ownership?

I am sure that I am capable of taking care of another dog, as long as it's in the same realm of difficult as Chula was. I know she was hard, I know I cried a lot sometimes! But I'm not sure I would know how to deal with major aggression or behavior issues, fights between dogs, etc. Though I suppose those are things you learn to deal with. 

Also, if my motivation for getting another dog is because I feel bad for Chula, is that wrong? I feel like she should have a playmate. I would obviously love and care for whatever animal we brought in, but I personally am fine with one dog. I feel like SHE isn't okay being an only dog and that she is happiest when she has doggy company.

Also, if my motivation for getting another dog is because I feel bad for Chula, is that wrong? I feel like she should have a playmate. I would obviously love and care for whatever animal we brought in, but I personally am fine with one dog. I feel like SHE isn't okay being an only dog and that she is happiest when she has doggy company.

There couldn't be any more valid reason to get another dog to be honest. It's the very reason why we decided to go for Wodak. Glala loves other dogs but Dana never really was playful. As predicted Glala and Wodak adore each other and has brought back the pup in Glala, which is quite something for a 9 years old dog.

Okay, Emily, since you've taken the topic to a very serious tone, I'll reply in kind (( if I can :) ))

Seriously, you have done a wonderful job with Chula; oh, you've had you ups and downs but find me someone who has a dog and hasn't - and I'll show you a stuffed dog!  You've had some crises and you've handled them well - well, okay sometimes a bit teary but shoot, you're 36 year old female, we expect that  (( shut up Al, you said you were going to be serious! ))

What more can you expect from Chula - your list reads like a dog who's doing really well with an owner who's taking the time to train her and keep her well.  I don't think anyone will fault you for the things that you've had to work with - cause we've all had our fair share of problems (( me being bitten by a dog who just doesn't care if I take her food bowl NOW! ))  You've had you share of difficulties and that they don't seem as bad as they could have been is only because you accepted the challenge and did what you had to do anyway!  There were some really rough times in there - but you pulled through "like a trooper"!!

You know enough to do your homework with any dog you even think about bringing into your house.  If they immediately go into "fight mode" at the introduction, that's probably not going to be a good match.  If they sniff and then shove a little - I'd bet that it would work out.  I think you know that you're going to have to expect a certain amount of, let's call it, jealousy on Chula's part, that's completely normal - you've been hers and now all of sudden there's this other dog in the mix.  Sure there's going to be some "I was here first!" you know it, you should know how to handle it from reading here and if you don't then you can always ask ...

You ask "What have I missed?" Lady, you haven't missed a thing.  Some of what Chula's put you through would have made others give her up - "She's just too much trouble!"  As I said, she wasn't trouble, she was a challenge and you just did it.  You haven't missed a thing there, but the ones who turn their dogs in because they're too much trouble have missed a bunch!!

For the last 20 years or so, I've almost always had two dogs (sometimes more) They, jointly are my friends and companions; as much as I can get out an roughhouse with them there's still a satisfaction we all get from me setting back and watching them "have a go at each other" (in play of course).  If your only reason for getting another dog is as a companions for Chula is wrong, then ma'am I'v been wrong a lot of times.  I take on the extra dog as a companion for a solo existing hound but as you said, and I agree, a canine friend is sometimes a lot more fun that a human one (okay, I paraphrased that just a bit) and you'll take care of them both - even if, at first, Chula is more important you're going to know that the other dog in the mix needs attention too.  Chula will always hold a special place in your heart but for some reason, no many how many animals and people we love, there's always a space for one more!

I'm guessing there is no way to determine this beforehand... :(

One thing I'd like to add is that while you might think your husky wants someone to play with, someone to be with, it isn't always so.

As much as Ryn enjoys Petunia, she has changed because of my getting the second. I truly believe she enjoyed being an only child.