Chat ....

Removed #5

Some of you may have noticed that I've been the chat room something like twice in the couple of years I've been here.  I don't have anything against chat - I'm just not a chatty person.

I've been trying to get some work done on a project of mine and some on the volunteer work I've been doing and << boop >> someone wants to chat.  Going out on a bit of a limb here - how about some courtesy - something like "Al, are you free to chat for a few minutes?" or alternatively "You said << something >> and I'm wondering about it ..."

In either of those cases, I'll probably make time ... BUT when you just drop into the silly little chat box and start talking - apparently assuming that I have nothing better to do than chat about your latest discovery ... well, I'm probably going to just close the box and pretend you aren't there.

I suppose I should just set myself "Invisible" or "Away" but if someone needs to talk to me, or has a question or comment about something I've posted I'd like to be able to show them I'm really around.

As I said, How about a little courtesy folks?

he doesn't mean the chat room he means the one on one chat bar at the bottom of the page <br /><br />...<br /><br />Mine doesn't work lol

Tell Marc that, mine works sometimes.  It doesn't ever work is *I* try to initiate a chat with someone but it works about half the time when someone else starts a chat.

I'm using the current release of FF - with a couple of add-ons.  How about you???

Why don't you just set your status to "Offline" though?

I could, but the answer to that was in the original post:

I suppose I should just set myself "Invisible" or "Away" but if someone needs to talk to me, or has a question or comment about something I've posted I'd like to be able to show them I'm really around.

I *do* want to be available to someone who has a question / comment.  I *do not* generally make myself available for idle chatter.

That might be the case; but if it is then I'm an irritated miserable git.

As I said, I'm not one for idle chatter, here or in "real life"  There are a couple of users who from time to time pop up on chat.  They regularly begin the conversation with something like "r u busy??" or "Got a minute?" and if I'm not really eyebrow deep in what I'm trying to do I make time to chatter ... on the other hand, if I am really involved in what I'm trying to do they seem to understand "Can't chat right now, sorry" with no hard feelings.  I'm the same way on the phone, a 15 minute call is long for me - get the business done and hang up.

To me it's about the same as someone knocking on my door and without a "by your leave" walking in and starting to tell me about the newest cake that the bakery has on sale ... no "Hi!", no "Are you busy!", no nothing but the belief that they and what they want are the most important thing on mycalendar.

The courtesy of, at the very least, asking if I'm free makes all the difference in the world in how I receive them.

That might be the case; but if it is then I'm an irritated miserable git.

As I said, I'm not one for idle chatter, here or in "real life" There are a couple of users who from time to time pop up on chat. They regularly begin the conversation with something like "r u busy??" or "Got a minute?" and if I'm not really eyebrow deep in what I'm trying to do I make time to chatter ... on the other hand, if I am really involved in what I'm trying to do they seem to understand "Can't chat right now, sorry" with no hard feelings. I'm the same way on the phone, a 15 minute call is long for me - get the business done and hang up.

To me it's about the same as someone knocking on my door and without a "by your leave" walking in and starting to tell me about the newest cake that the bakery has on sale ... no "Hi!", no "Are you busy!", no nothing but the belief that they and what they want are the most important thing on mycalendar.

The courtesy of, at the very least, asking if I'm free makes all the difference in the world in how I receive them.

Im still gonna tease and call ya miserable lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You have a PM inbox. If people want to bring up topics with you they can do it there, leaving you the option of reading and replying at your own convenience. So bearing in mind that you're still contactable regardless of your current availability status, I don't really see the issue of turning off chat. If the person who contacted you via PM is someone you wish to speak to, you can tell them to wait a moment while you go back online on the chat box. Might save your sanity in the long run.

aww I can't remember when's the last time I had a conversation through PM :lol: when Paranormal Wolf was still around, we exchange PMs every day. It's basically a chat, but you're not obliged to sit there and wait for the next reply. And those replies can be as long-winded as you want :P so yeah echoing what Emma said if chat can be annoying to you (you here is not only Al, maybe you're a shy lurker that is having similar problems) I'm sure you can attach somewhere in your sig: "Please contact me by PM". 

When someone starts a chat with me and I am currently busy I just tell them that I'm busy at the moment and I'll back at a later time. If it's the chat on the forum I just suggest them sending me a PM if it's important and I'll respond when I have time. Why make it more complicated than it is?

Marc if famous for always starting a chat with me right at the moment I am about to log off. I just tell him he caught me at the wrong time (okay, it hasn't worked so far but you get the point :P)