Shaving Huskies - Does The Hair Grow Back?

Ubnfortunately Rocky picked up a paralysis tick (despite been treated for it using Advantix - we now use Frontline), consequently the vet had to shave off his entire coat to make sure there was not anymore before administering the paralysis tick serum. Because we have 2 huskies, they wanted to check the girl and shaved her too as a precaution.

2/3 months later, Rocky's coat has grown back as normal, however Skylers coat it still patchy and not growing evenly. Has anyone else shaved their husky before and if so how did their coat grow back.

If I had the choice I would not have shaved either coat, but I guess as a precautionary measure at the time it made sense.

Those paralysis ticks are deadly.

Info on paralysis ticks - http://www.virbac.com.au/p-virbacaupuben/display.aspx?srv=p-virbacau&typ=pub&lang=en&cmd=view&style=styles/page2.xsl&select=PAGE%5B@ID$eq$PAGE_122%5D&generic1=ARTICLE_978& 

Never shaved my entire dog but when I brought the bitch into the house she was basically rescued from a house where she was abused. Any contact from people or animals and she cowered and when we brought her home she cowered from my 1st husky but when too close she attacked. She lefts him with wounds on both sides of his lower jaw and had to be shaved to be inspected and it all grew back as normal and it wouldn't even be noticed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto to the others. However I know mine were shaved "down below" and a patch on their front leg when they were neutered. Ice's fur Is much finer than Bear's and appeared to grow back faster. Poor old Bear, six months down the line and her tummy fur still hadn't grown back properly. Her fur is incredibly thick like the stuff us uk folk put in our loft for insulation! Ha ha.

hopefully it will grow back properly but just more slowly. At the end of the day it wasn't really anything you could control. A paralysis tick can be deadly, can't take any chances there. glad you found it before it managed to take hold and do some real damage.

Similar with Max.  Right before I got him he was covered in ticks and half starved.  The person who gave him to me had him shaved so they could get all the ticks off.  The vet said he's lucky his coat came back so nice and warned me to only shave him in such an instance.  I never planned on shaving him, ever.  I will just brush him as he blows his coat and give him the occasional flea dip.

A few years ago, an Old English Sheepdog attacked Myshka & it's fang went in the top of her head & slid sideways when it hit the skull, leaving an "L" shaped hole. She had to have the top of her head shaved to clean & treat it, about 3" square between her ears, she looked like the typical monk pictures you see. This has never grown back to the same length as the rest of her fur, it's half a centimetre short on what is already fairly short fur but unless I pointed it out, people would not be able to see it.

I hope Skyler's coat grows back as normal, xx

• 7 years later...

Never cut or shave a husky’s coat!

Double coated dogs, like huskies, should never be shaved. It’s nothing more than a myth that shaving a double-coated dog will stop the shedding. 

Matting becomes a big problem if you shave a double-coated breed. As the undercoat grows much faster than the topcoat it often out-grows the topcoat and what you’re left with is a tangled mess between the two coats. 

Matting is terrible for body temperature regulation and will cause your husky to overheat. A nightmare for the summer months, when you are specifically trying to keep your husky cool!

One of the main reason’s double-coated dogs shed is to effectively regulate their body temperature. This ability is hindered if you shave them.

The topcoat stops direct heat from the sun and other heat sources. If you shave your husky’s coat, it will grow back with a sticky texture and won’t have as many air gaps, leading to overheating.

This is original content produced and published by My Happy Husky | www.myhappyhusky.com

16 hours ago, Khris said:

Never cut or shave a husky’s coat!

Double coated dogs, like huskies, should never be shaved. It’s nothing more than a myth that shaving a double-coated dog will stop the shedding. 

Matting becomes a big problem if you shave a double-coated breed. As the undercoat grows much faster than the topcoat it often out-grows the topcoat and what you’re left with is a tangled mess between the two coats. 

Matting is terrible for body temperature regulation and will cause your husky to overheat. A nightmare for the summer months, when you are specifically trying to keep your husky cool!

One of the main reason’s double-coated dogs shed is to effectively regulate their body temperature. This ability is hindered if you shave them.

The topcoat stops direct heat from the sun and other heat sources. If you shave your husky’s coat, it will grow back with a sticky texture and won’t have as many air gaps, leading to overheating.

This is original content produced and published by My Happy Husky | www.myhappyhusky.com

Absolutely however for medical reasons sometimes shaving can't be helped 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Absolutely however for medical reasons sometimes shaving can't be helped 

True! Medical reasons are always an exception. I was in the groomer's shop this weekend and I was told that she was asked to completely shave a dog's face, even though, the dog has pink skin underneath. The groomer refused since the dog would be vulnerable to sun burn and other issues. Some people think it's nice for looks or to make grooming cheaper or easier to shave dogs without having the dog's best interests and well being in mind.