Our Cat May Not Be With Us For Much Longer :(

Our cat Beppe has been going downhill quickly this week. The vet estimated she may has somewhere between a week and a month to live. I think we're currently looking at a matter only a couple of days. I'm sad, yes. But also happy that we were able to provide her a good and final home in her last year.

When we adopted here from the shelter she was estimated to be around 16 and 18 years old but we think she may be quite a bit older than that. She had all kinds of problems but the shelter couldn't find anything. When we adopted her they told us she maybe has a month to live. We were happy to give here a final home and agreed to each other that we'll use medications to relief the pain if any problems show up but won't do major operations due to her age. And that was a year and a half ago. Not only did she got much more active, she also started to look much healthier again. It was obvious she was happy to be here where it's a lot calmer than in the shelter. Our two other old cats generally ignored her and she was fine by that. She was originally picked up from the streets so she never got the whole 'being cuddled' thing but generally accepted it after getting used to it. She used to be an outdoor cat but slowly discovered that being inside in front of the heather sleeping on a pillow was also quite pleasant.

However in this last week it looks like her age is finally caught up. A vet trip showed that she has a lot of built up fluid and the medication isn't catching on. There isn't much that can be done at this point. She's eating less and less, being very lethargic and quickly tired. The trip between the couch and her food bowl is done in two parts, which a minute of resting in between on the rug in the middle of the house. However she's still very much awake, alert and wants to know what's going on. But by the way she acts you can see something is off and she's trying to hide it. We're secretly hoping she'll pass away in her sleep peacefully but I'm afraid that we have to make the final decision ourselves to put her to sleep at some point :(

She's outlived our expectations though and I'm glad we had a chance to have her in our home and lives. Every additional day is another bonus for us and her. I hope the last few days will go as peaceful as the preceding days.

post-2355-0-39682900-1387651452_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-16513900-1387651458_thumb.jp

Jos, I am so sorry. You can at least find comfort in knowing you provided Beppe a loving home to live out her remaining days.

It takes a brave soul to pick up an older animal, they're here all too short a time as it is.  It takes someone with a great soul to hold them and love them and then say goodbye ... to say "good on you, Jos" just doesn't seem like enough for all you do for and with the furry people out there.  I wonder if god provides mice for our feline friends to chase while they're waiting ...

:grouphug:  So sorry Jos, it's not easy having to make that decision.  We adopted a mature cat called Willow a long time ago.  We didn't think he'd last more than a few years but he lived to 18 years old!  He gradually got older and began to deteriorate, but he just wouldn't give up on life.  We too had to make that decision and it was honestly one of the hardest things i've had to do.  I was literally in bits.  :(

We made the final decision to put her to sleep this following evening. Our good friend is a vet and is willing to do it at home so we don't have to cause any unnecessary stress on Beppe. She's still drinking but hasn't eating anything since last Friday. She's not able to keep her balance any more and can barely walk. It looks like she still wants to, but her body is giving up which makes it so much harder to choose when is the right time. You don't want to do it too early, but don't want to be her in any pain :(

Really sorry to hear that, Jos.. Thank you for sharing her story with us, made my eyes fill up with tears. We had to put our cat to sleep in August after him being with us for nearly 10 years. He went through some very stressing moments in his life - falling from the 7th floor, being brutally attacked by a cat and later on by a dog. I've always been a cat person before we got Ares so the decision to put him to sleep was a tough one. We've spent some amazing 10 years with him and even my friends could feel his absence at home once he was gone. I remember that I was feeling crushed for almost a week after we did that, it's hard to imagine what bounds we build with our furry friends.

I'm glad that she finally managed to find a loving family after all these years. Words can hardly comfort, I just want to thank you for taking care of her.

Beppe is gone now. She was put to sleep peacefully at home, on the couch she always slept on. I think she knew it because she kept fighting the last couple of days but in the last hour she suddenly seemed to have given up. I have mixed emotions here. I'm sad that she won't be around here any more but also happy that we have gotten to know each other and that we were able to provide her a final home. She will be missed.