It's Even Too Cold For Them!

Jay

2y7arega.jpg It's brutally cold this morning! The air temp is around -5F with a wind chill near -20. Poor pooches are not getting a walk this morning but I don't think they mind. While they usually beg to go outside and don't want to come inside even they did their business and right back in!

Our high today isn't even supposed to be 20 degrees!  The other morning the temp was 5 outside and I sucked it up and went for a 30 minute walk, but I couldn't bring myself to disturb them this morning :)

And Nikko is blowing his coat too...so strange!

With Avalanche I can say that I understand, he doesn't have the think Husky coat - when he "blows" there isn't much there.  All I have to do when it's chilly out is turn on the gas fire and he's got himself stretched out in front of it ... it's too hot for me to stand where he's laying but he's just soaking it up!  'course this is the idiot that lays out in the drive when it's 110f and blazing!!

Sasha goes out for a while but I think she gets lonely 'cause neither Avalanche nor I are gonna spend much time out at 0-10c with a 15mph wind!!

It's been really cold here as well and Champ refuses to stay outside too long.  It was dangerously cold last as the wind chill was getting us down to -30F (-34.4C) and we've probably got three inches of snow on the ground as well.  He loves the snow but when I put him out on his tether he does his business and demands to come back in once he's done because of how cold it is outside.  He's even got his nice thick coat and he's like 'nope, too cold' and asks to come back in.  Needless to say he hasn't gotten a walk lately because it's too cold for me to go out, and I'll let him stay out on his tether as long as he wants but he's only been staying out for maybe ten minutes max.

I'm sure some of it is what they are used to. Obviously the dogs that run the Iditarod are in freezing temperatures. But I assume they are acclimated to such temperatures before being subjected to them.
For sure they can withstand the cold...they were just being lazy as was I lol.