when can a husky start breeding

ok so i am thinking that maybe eventually i might want 2 stud my boy out (didnt get him for this purpose he is just our pet) but am wondering at what age is ok to stud him if we do decide to do this as obviously i dont want 2 start him too young so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the minimum age is about 18 months - think of them at 18 months being as old as a teenager, you wouldn't want your 15 year old having kids at that age lol

Browsed round sites and most seem to point towards 2 years old

First and foremost thing I would say, is do you know the level of involvement with the studding out of dogs? I'm unsure of the breeding ages but I am sure that the majority of people when having the idea of studding dont fully understand the involvement. No offence intended, just ensuring you have an idea of what your letting yourself in for.

well we are not 100% sure bout studdin him out as we didnt get him for this purpose he is our pet i am going to be doing some more research into it i was just wondering on age atm incase we do decide to and thank marc not offence taken this is y i asked in here before deciding as i no how much people in here no about huskies thanks for all the advice any more is greatly recived and appreciated

as we didnt get him for this purpose

Glad to hear it :)

i no how much people in here no about huskies

Yep :)

You have to bare in mind also that not everyone agrees with studding out of dogs whilst there are Huskies in shelters needing homes, although I appreciate that not everyone is willing to have a dog that is not trained by them and known by them from a very early age (myself included tbh). Just thought I'd prewarn ya before anyone else says it LOL ...

i have changed wot i sed in the 1st box as i didnt want people thinkin that we just want 2 stud him out for money he is our pet and we love him deeply and i also care deeply for animals in shelters (our other dog is a rescue) and i would h8 to be responsible for putting animals in that situation this is y i am in here asking advice so we no wether or not to go ahead with this (will not just be picking up a random husky off the street to breed with if we decide to if you no what i mean) hense y i need the advice again many thanks

you come across as a very caring person and obviously love him or you wouldn't be asking these questions, can you speak to the breeder you got him from and get first hand views on what it's like? Maybe that'd help, although, i'm sure you'll get loads of help when other members log back in xxxx

sarah thank you very much for the comment i will ask the breeder just wanted to see wot every1 else says 1st as like i sed we didnt get him for this purpose and i dont want the breeder to think that either thank you to every1 who has commented so far and givin me advice

Hi Bingnblaze,

I would say that using your dog at stud is as great a responsibilty as having a litter from a bitch.

The first thing is to ensure that your dog is of sufficient quality to be bred from. Rescues are cram-packed full of badly bred dogs of all breeds and Siberians are no exception. This is a kind of tick-list to establish this:

1. How do you know your dog is of sufficient quality to be bred from?

Has it been successfuly shown? This will indicate whether or not it adequately fits the breed standard according to knowledgable and experienced judges.

Has it been successfully worked/raced in harness?

2. Is your dog KC registered? is the bitch also KC registered?

3. Does it have breeding restrictions/conditions imposed by the breeder? If so will the breeder lift them to allow the dog to be used at stud. If the breeder doesn't lift the restrictions, the pups from the mating cannot be registered. The same issue should be resolved regarding the bitch you plan to mate your dog with.

4. Have all the necessary health tests been carried out and were the results satisfactory? The dog should be hip-scored (and this cannot be done under the BVA scheme until the dog is at least 12 months old) and the score should be acceptable and compatible with that of the bitch. The breed average is 7 (for both hips added together) and every effort should be made to ensure that this average is maintained or improved.

The dog should be tested for a variety of hereditary eye conditions, in particular Hereditary Cataracts, Primary Glaucoma and PRA. It goes without saying that the bitch you intend to mate your dog with has had successful health tests as well.

5. If at some time in the future, the owner(s) of (one of) the puppies is/are unable to keep it/them, and the breeder is unable to take them back, would you be prepared to take responsibility for them?

These are just a few things to think about if you are thinking of mating your dog.

I hope it helps!

Mick

Raindog is right on...

Personally, I never considered it. BUT that was basically because my husband would have crapped his pants!!! 'Bo' (my boy) had plenty of offers over the years, all of them were turned down. I just plain didn't know enough.......

With that said, IF I had:

I would hold off until he's 24 to 36 months old. Why? First of all, we all know that the Siberian is physically mature before they are emotionally mature...you want to be sure of the temperment etc before taking this step. This also gives you time to find and work with a mentor who is a reputable breeder for at least two years. You should also know the common health issues of the breed: juvenile cataracts, hip dysplasia, epilepsy, etc.

AND....last but not least, I would work with a breed specific rescue for a year. There's nothing like it for a reality check! When you see the results of those individuals who got their husky for all the wrong reasons and couldn't give a life long commitment to them, it opens your eyes!

I think the biggest thing is to find a mentor and begin your research now......

AND....last but not least, I would work with a breed specific rescue for a year. There's nothing like it for a reality check! When you see the results of those individuals who got their husky for all the wrong reasons and couldn't give a life long commitment to them, it opens your eyes!

Ain't that the truth!!!

Mick

Want my input ?

well here goes we bought Wolf for 2 reasons we felt that Sasika was missing a partner so we bought her one and they loved each other from the 1st day he was 7 months old when we got him his birth date is 1/1.2007 and middle of januray 2007 saskia was pregnat and by march she give birth,yes wolf had just turn 1 year old.

Now the way I look at this is my dogs are my family and I never intended to breed but having done so how happy I was after seeing the new pups and how much both wolf and saskia looked after there pups and took to it really well.

This lot of pups was not planned and I said no its to soon after the last lot but they had other ideas and trying to keep then apart was mad and nion impossable so now we got more pups. We did not want to get Wolf spade yet as we had planed to breed again just not so soon, we since found out that there is a injection that can be given to the bitch ( god I hate that word ) to stop her coming into season and we are going down that road next.

Just my thought on studing, mick is right with all the points the only thing I can think of adding is how would you like to go thou all your live wanting and never getting a shag ? NO really think about it would you ?

Any questions plz ask.

we since found out that there is a injection that can be given to the bitch ( god I hate that word ) to stop her coming into season and we are going down that road next.

the only thing I can think of adding is how would you like to go thou all your live wanting and never getting a shag ? NO really think about it would you ?

More importantly, there is also an injection you can give to your bitch up to a few days after mating which stops pregnancy occurring, so as long as you are aware a mating has taken place, there is no excuse for any "accidental" puppies at all.

It may sound harsh, but if you cannot keep dogs and bitches apart during seasons, then I don't think you should keep entire dogs and bitches together at all.

On Dunc's second point, I don't think we should attribute human emotions/urges to dogs. Dogs want to mate because the female pheromones cause "five legged syndrome" - it's a chemical thing. There is no evidence that dogs who have never "had a shag" miss it at all. If they never smelled an in-season bitch, they would never have the urge to "shag" - it really is that simple with canines.

One further point I would make, based on our experience with SHWA(UK) over the past two years, is that of the 275+ dogs which have come into SHWA(UK) rescue in that time, only 3 were bred by breeders who followed the guidelines I suggested above. All three of these breeders took the dogs back immediately once they knew we had them. All the others were bred by puppy farmers, backyard breeders or naive/stupid/greedy (delete as appropriate) "pet" breeders. So, statistically, dogs bred responsibly, are much much less likely to end up unwanted and in rescue. Something to think about!

Mick

Excellant answers Austinville, Raindog and Dunc!

I think you can stud them out at 18months but its not really advised to stud/breed until about 2 (Human) years old.

Jamie wanted to stud our 3 boys out but I spoke to a lady who breeds and shows her huskies about it and also read about it on the Husky Owners Club UK site and thought that it is very time consuming and can be rather expensive also you do need to know what your doing. A few things to think about before you make a definate decision could be:

1) about the bitch's cycle

2) good example of breed? (this can include things like, hip score and clear eye test)

3) caring for the puppies and bitch

4) weaning puppies off mum's milk

5) what happens if you can't place all the puppies in homes

6) making contracts on the sale/exchange of puppies

7) knowing about the breed

8) do you have the time to breed/stud

9) for the first few times you may need to aid the stud dog with inserting

10) bitches and studs temperaments (you don't want to pass on a bad temperament to puppies - I know it can seem impossible with huskies)

11) aiding with the birth

12) possible that mum may reject all or some of the puppies

13) health risks involved

14) registering puppies as pedigrees (I don't think this is vital but some people do like to have proof of the puppy being a pedigree) with Kennel Club

15) vet checks

16) does your husky have any breeding restrictions?

17) would you include puppy packs with each puppy (i.e. some breeders may include the first injection at 8 weeks old and others may include a bag of feed or bowls, etc)?

Studding dogs isn't just a case of letting your dog do his business and thats it, you have to be involved throughout the entire cycle (from when the stud has mated the bitch to when the puppies have gone to new homes).

I didn't want to stud our boys out as I only wanted companions so I allowed the breeders to keep the breeding restrictions on our three (We didn't have any breeding restrictions on Gizmo but do with Marley and Bandit). All I had to deal with then was Jamie and all I did then was made a list of the advantages and disadavantages of breeding/studding dogs and showed Jamie that which put him off. To be honest I think Jamie just saw signs and he knew I really want a white girl so I think he though we could stud them out and have pick of the litter, but I don't want a girl just yet as we don't have enough space for another - I would rather wait until we have a home of our own which should hopefully be by next year.

Hope this helps your desicion.

Good luck

Totally agree with both Micks and siberian wolf's post, like Mick I work in a rescue center, we see all too many huskies being brought into us, the expression breeding to better the breed should always be in your mind when planning breedings, you should know the bloodines of the dogs involved back to front to ensure this is a good matching, all too often someone has a dog or bitch and feel that they NEED to have 1 litter at least, this IS old wives tales, and I dont think anyone has mentioned that there is a possibility that a dog can have a change in temperment after being used at stud, and can show a more dominant persona, this does not happen everytime but can.

mo