Eek What Is This??

mydiamond

what are these .ink files?? I was told they're viruses?

post-2850-0-20102200-1384434124_thumb.pn

all of the files in my flash disk have a .ink duplicate if I plug them into a Windows computer. I cleaned them all up in my Mac using Avast but they still pop out in Windows. Scariest thing is if I delete all the duplicates they revive themselves :jawdrop: my friend told me it's the other computer that has virus, but today I plugged my brother's flash disk to my laptop and transferred a file. I printed the file in a PC and realized I need to print another so plugged it back in to my Mac. The moment I opened the flash disk in my Mac, I saw that all of my brother's files have turned into a .ink file  :huh: so does that mean my Mac is virus-ridden??  

Had a quick google search and it said that .ink files are shortcuts or linked files. Not sure about viruses, haven't gotten that far yet.........

oh right, yeah.  um, I was hoping someone with more update knowledge would show up by now.  I've seen a few things about this virus, but what seems to be agreed is that the first thing to try if it is indeed the .ink virus is to try  the windows restore option (don't ask me to explain because I don't really know!  ha ha.  I think it means rolling back to an earlier restore point.   I'm assuming you've backed up your filing system periodically?)

Best bet is to wait for a techy type to show up, lol.  I honestly have no idea if it's just a shortcut or a virus???   I can work my way around my own stuff but can't really explain how or what I've done!  lol.

.lnk are usually the shortcut icons extension for Windows OS. Since you're using Mac OS, the operating system cannot recognize those files. Are you sure that your brother didn't, instead of copying the files, create a shortcut to them on the flash drive? Does Mac OS have the option to see the properties of the file and see what's their target (source) folder/file? ex: C:\Users\Documents\etc ...

I'm not sure... I'm not exactly tech-y :huskyfall: how can one not realize when they created a shortcut instead of copying stuffs anyways? how do you even make a shortcut for a file? why would you need it?  :o

but fun fact is, when my own flash disk got ridden with .ink duplicates, I scanned them with Avast and did found a huge list of viruses. New Heur being one of them. It's also scary how deleted files can reappear in my flash disk... so I think it's more than just an OS incompatibility (??).

Thanks Dimitar, I'm out of my depth here, just spent the last few minutes trying to tag various IT members but looks like I couldn't even do that riight, so honestly I'm no use in this situation!!  Hope it gets sorted out soon Liv! xxx

All the software icons that you have on your desktop are shortcuts. That's what one need them  for :P

I don't know about the reappearing, I have to see it before actually commenting on it. Try to plug the flash drive into a Windows OS machine, right click one of the files -> Properties and see what's the target folder. I'm 99.99999% sure it's a shortcut. This explains why your brother's files "turned" into a .lnk (yes, that's a L, not an i", lnk stands for "link") on your Mac OS.

The solution to get rid of any viruses on the flash drive, in case there are such, is to format it completely. This will however erase all the data on the drive.

... "Dead" files are reviving themselves right now. House is empty. Dog is fast asleep. Some furnitures are thrown out of the house today because they need to be replaced. The house felt emptier than usual. Whenever I make a coughing noise of some sort the noise echoes to the entire house. 

... I don't know how am I going to sleep tonight :huskyfall: