Advice :(

I love my kittens very very much. But I want the safety for them and the dogs. I don't want them dead but I don't want to let them go. I rescued them from dieing and have had them since 5 weeks old and have grown so attached with them. They sleep with us and they constantly get in our lap and rub and cuddle on us and it is just so funny to  watch them play. I don't want to let them go. Right now they are gated off to the bathroom and our bedroom when the dogs are inside. But they get the whole house when dogs are outside or when they are in their cages for bedtime and feeding time. But what happens when one day the gate gets knocked down or they get older and learn to climb over the gate. What happens when that one time is all it takes? I don't want it to happen at all but I don't want to get rid of any of my babies. I love them to much. What should I do? Give them to better home? I just don't want to lose them. :"'( They are both cuddled up on my purring right now. I just love it! But I want safety..

I think you already know the answer to this question but yes, I understand it's not an easy decision to make.  Sometimes doing the right thing is incredibly hard but ultimately being a pet owner comes with a duty of care to all of your pets safety.  If you can't guarantee your kitties safety, then ultimately something has to give.   :grouphug:  take care, be strong and make the right choice for your furry and human family. 

Yes :( I think my biggest fear is not finding them the proper home. I want to make sure that they grow old and beautiful. Even though that is a lot to ask. I did save them. Maybe that was my responsibility. To save them from dieing and raise them up then send them on their ways to live long happy lives

Okay, after looking and seeing that he's in my part of the world, he might be able to solve half the problem but that still leaves the dogs ...

In my case, I know that Sasha's okay with cats and Avalanche isn't too sure ... but he's willing to leave them alone.  Even given that, I'm not getting any cats since I don't want to tempt fate.

Yes :( I think my biggest fear is not finding them the proper home. I want to make sure that they grow old and beautiful. Even though that is a lot to ask. I did save them. Maybe that was my responsibility. To save them from dieing and raise them up then send them on their ways to live long happy lives

I think you say it well, right there.  You built up your karma by rescuing them and getting them started, now ( *I* think ) it's time to let someone else have the pleasure of them without the possibility of a fight.  It's really hard to rescue something and then let go when it seems so right - but unless you can convince the "guys to play nice" it's probably best ....

I would put all of my effort into finding the kittens a new home. You've done great by rescuing them from the shelter, and you have obviously put in a lot of time and work in keeping them healthy and thinking of their safety by keeping the gates up and keeping the cats and dogs separated. Maybe you can run an ad in your local newspaper and give them a contact number or e-mail address for people to contact you if they're interested in adopting the kittens from you. Then you could schedule a meet up and get a feel for the people who are wanting to adopt the kittens and then make your decision based on that. 

Either way, if you are doubting the safety of the kittens then it probably is time to find them a new home... I know it's hard, because a pet becomes a part of the family and once there's a bond there, it is a million times harder to even think about letting them go to someone else. Just try and find someone who lives in your area that will let you come visit them or send you updates on them and pictures as they grow. I hope you can find them a wonderful, loving home if that's what you decide to do.

Oh I didn't rescue them from a shelter. I rescued them from a lady whom had a momma cat that had 4 babies and the lady wasn't giving them proper care and two died and they came in my yard at 5 weeks old so I took them skin in bones and flea infested as I didn't see they had a chance and felt bad

I don't know what to say really....I have a cat and she has full access to the house, and my boys are never kept outside, not sure if my two are small animal killers though, they've never caught anything?!?!

Basically, the boys are not allowed upstairs, but her bed and food is downstairs on the bay window. she is out when we are not in, and the boys are crated when we are not in or are in bed.

She sleeps down stairs at night.

routine....she comes in with me when I get home, she goes to the window and eats, I let dogs out and feed them, they then settle on their beds and she gets in hers or comes cuddle up to me.

She is very aware of them and they her. She likes to sleep on our beds during the day and often comes and goes through the living room, dogs don't normally chase her until shes left the room, but stop at bottom of the stairs as they know they aren't allowed up there.

Cagney came first then the dogs 3 years later. its been 4 years they have lived together without incident, sorry no help I know :/

if your dogs, all of them, are more on the okay-ish side I can easily say continue what you're doing now but you said Meeka is a little hunter :( so.. oh gosh Searra I can't imagine what you're going through must be tough but I think I know what you have to do... big hugs :grouphug: xxx

im sorry, im going to sit on the rehoming side.

ive known of huskies that have lived with cats for years! then suddenly attacked.

someone on my fb has just rehomed her husky due to it attacking her cat and it had never shown interest before.

I don't know what to say really....I have a cat and she has full access to the house, and my boys are never kept outside, not sure if my two are small animal killers though, they've never caught anything?!?!

Basically, the boys are not allowed upstairs, but her bed and food is downstairs on the bay window. she is out when we are not in, and the boys are crated when we are not in or are in bed.

She sleeps down stairs at night.

routine....she comes in with me when I get home, she goes to the window and eats, I let dogs out and feed them, they then settle on their beds and she gets in hers or comes cuddle up to me.

She is very aware of them and they her. She likes to sleep on our beds during the day and often comes and goes through the living room, dogs don't normally chase her until shes left the room, but stop at bottom of the stairs as they know they aren't allowed up there.

Cagney came first then the dogs 3 years later. its been 4 years they have lived together without incident, sorry no help I know :/

I keep mine separate kinda of like you are talking but dogs have no access to then at all. They are gated separate. When I let dogs outside(to do business, 15 minutes tops) the gate goes down then the gate comes up when they come back in. When feeding time for dogs the gate comes down. And when bedtime for dogs the gate comes down and stays down till next morning. There has been one day were I left the gate down by accident because I was so engrossed in my homework and they were all in the same room..the dogs nor cats bothered each other the dogs continued to sleep and the cats played..but I didn't risk it so put them back up. Echo was raised with kitty cats when loving with my bf and actually became sick when his best friend (a cat) died from old age...larka doesn't care at all..when she hears a noise over the gate she will run and look but as soon as she catches sight of the cats she just turns around...it's Meeka that's not ok with it. But here lately she hasn't minded it. It's like she has completely forget that they are in the house. She use to wake to their (dogs) bedroom and walk on to the gate and peer through then turn around now she just walks straight to bedroom or straight to back door. It's like she's trying not to acknowledge they are there but I still won't trust them loose in house with dogs loose..hubby was actually thinking about building a small room type closet of our bedroom for the cats so they have more room to roam and play but i dont know it's hard I have no kids so they all are kinda my kids..heck they even have almost as many collars as the dogs

• 3 weeks later...

I have a cat, and thousands of small furries. Kodi is fine with the Cat, he plays with him and washes him, but he isn't allowed near the small animals as I'm not entirely sure how he would react. We are having another Husky soon. We found when we approached rescues we were told we couldn't as we had the cat and the small animals, so we eventually went back to the lady we had Kodi from. Most of our previous animals have been rescues, the only one we had from a baby was Kodi, and that was because we knew our older dog, who was a rescue, wouldn't tolerate another adult dog.

I agree with previous comments, it is safer for the little ones if you can't be 100% sure that the dogs will tolerate them. It's a heart breaking decision I know, but know that you did your very best for them by giving them the start in life that they deserved. Good luck, and massive hugs xx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2