Good Non Husky Companion For My Husky

I'm debating getting another dog. Part of me would love another husky, but there's also part of me that would like a dog with good recall so I can let them off. Plus in larger enclosed areas I'd be able to let both dogs off and not worry about having to rugby tackle Fen to get him back on lead and he always returns if he's with another dog that has good recall.

What breeds do people recommend that mix well with huskies. I want a medium or large dog with a similar exercise requirement to Fenrir and that's about it, though I'm not keen on labs for some reason.

I'm tempted to get a German Shepherd, is this a potential good match?

Any dog I do get would most likely be a slightly older fixed female and I'd make sure the dogs got on before bringing her home to live with us.

I have a german shepherd and two Huskies.

The German Shepherd recalls perfectly

The two Huskies Ignore me completely

Having a good recall dog will in no way guarantee that your Husky will follow the other dog back to you.

Sorry

So far Fen has had perfect recall when he's with another dog with good recall. Obviously I'd still never let him off lead in a non enclosed area, it just means I'd feel more confident taking him to larger enclosed spaces. And I know it's not guaranteed to mean good recall just because there's another dog, but so far so good.

Plus Fen is going to lose his favourite cat companion next year and I'd like him to have a doggy companion instead.

So far Fen has had perfect recall when he's with another dog with good recall. Obviously I'd still never let him off lead in a non enclosed area, it just means I'd feel more confident taking him to larger enclosed spaces. And I know it's not guaranteed to mean good recall just because there's another dog, but so far so good.

Can't "like" this post enough :up:

I would go for a breed of similar size and energy level - if you decide on a new playmate you'll have to post pics :D x

I've got a GSD. They can be a bit nervy, wary and OCD so you have to make sure the GSD comes from a good breeder PLEASE. Otherwise they have lots of health and mental problems.

That said, I do love my little girl. She recalls well and Smokey follows as Andy said. She's also very focused even though she's a bit of a dumb dumb, she tries really hard to understand what you're asking her to do; it shows in her face and the way she intently looks at you. She's very a very good companion--not necessarily needy but not independent like a husky either.

She plays well with my husky Smokey. Even though she's much larger than Smokey, he gets his way and she obliges. They're a great pair...

Don't forget...mixes may be a viable option as well. If you express interest in adopting one, they may (and should) allow your husky and the potential adoptee you're looking at to interact and play a little. 

For example, I've seen some shepherd and some border collie/lab mixes that seem to have the same energy level as huskies..but it depends on the individual dog, of course. 

Just do your research and make sure that (in general), it isn't a bad mix. Like, don't get a lab crossed with another breed that is predisposed to obesity/cancer/other genetic Lab problems. This is just to save money and heartache in the future.

(and thank you for considering rescuing instead of another puppy :) )