Official Raw Feeding Thread

Elyse

14 hours ago, chelseafan said:

I’m also a raw feeder, I’ve always mixed my own 80:10:10 ratio with chicken, beef, lamb, fish, an assortment of veggies and bone etc but I’ve started to give them a ready prepared raw food 3 times a week from a company online called Naturaw, they love the surf and turf, simply lamb and the chicken, it’s worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Glad you're liking the Naturaw!    Great value for money in comparisson to Paleo Ridge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a raw feeder, 

I really don't see the purpose of feeding kibble.  For one, it's level D food which means that it often contains meat by-products and since there's no regulation on this, the by-products often contain road kill or dead dogs and cats etc.  The list of preservatives is ridiculous, I feed my family clean foods and Sesi is part of my family so it's no to Kibble.  Her previous owner had her on kibble and I've had her for about 3 days now and she is doing great.  I started transitioning her on day 1.  

Your advice on feeding garlic capsules is awesome!  what do you think about just feeding some garlic that I mince up?  Same thing?  I'm going to try it and see if she likes it.

So on day 1 I only fed her cubed chicken for breakfast and lunch.  We are very active and so she gets a whole lot of exercise, I feed her 2.5% of her body weight and that totals 1.64lbs.  I round it up sometimes to 2 lbs and I split it into 2 feedings.  Breakfast after our 6am walk and dinner around 9 and then we go on our PM walk, this is irregardless of what activities we do for the day.  We always have our 2 walks... every single day except when it's raining.  On day 2's dinner I added ground beef and an egg.  She loved it!  On day 3 I added a chicken filet, so she had that plus ground beef and an egg for breakfast and dinner.  Today I'm adding chicken wings and fish.  I know Huskies absolutely love chicken feet, I will probably add that in next week sometime as a little treat, not making that an everyday thing.

Another reason that I absolutely love feeding raw to Sesi is that I'm a Chef.  I absolutely love coming up with different meats for her to try.  In two weeks I'm adding exotic meats like pheasant and goat from http://www.rawfeedingmiami.com they have a wonderful assortment of foods including exotic meats. 

But really, I thank  you for the garlic tip.  I gave her Trifecta vet prescribed on day 2 but like you, I'm still going to do the garlic thing.  There's stray cats around here and lots of people in my apartment complex which is quite large, have dogs and I don't know if they have been keeping up with their pooches flea and tick prevention.  

4 hours ago, Sesi said:

I am a raw feeder, 

I really don't see the purpose of feeding kibble.  For one, it's level D food which means that it often contains meat by-products and since there's no regulation on this, the by-products often contain road kill or dead dogs and cats etc.  The list of preservatives is ridiculous, I feed my family clean foods and Sesi is part of my family so it's no to Kibble.  Her previous owner had her on kibble and I've had her for about 3 days now and she is doing great.  I started transitioning her on day 1.  

Your advice on feeding garlic capsules is awesome!  what do you think about just feeding some garlic that I mince up?  Same thing?  I'm going to try it and see if she likes it.

So on day 1 I only fed her cubed chicken for breakfast and lunch.  We are very active and so she gets a whole lot of exercise, I feed her 2.5% of her body weight and that totals 1.64lbs.  I round it up sometimes to 2 lbs and I split it into 2 feedings.  Breakfast after our 6am walk and dinner around 9 and then we go on our PM walk, this is irregardless of what activities we do for the day.  We always have our 2 walks... every single day except when it's raining.  On day 2's dinner I added ground beef and an egg.  She loved it!  On day 3 I added a chicken filet, so she had that plus ground beef and an egg for breakfast and dinner.  Today I'm adding chicken wings and fish.  I know Huskies absolutely love chicken feet, I will probably add that in next week sometime as a little treat, not making that an everyday thing.

Another reason that I absolutely love feeding raw to Sesi is that I'm a Chef.  I absolutely love coming up with different meats for her to try.  In two weeks I'm adding exotic meats like pheasant and goat from http://www.rawfeedingmiami.com they have a wonderful assortment of foods including exotic meats. 

But really, I thank  you for the garlic tip.  I gave her Trifecta vet prescribed on day 2 but like you, I'm still going to do the garlic thing.  There's stray cats around here and lots of people in my apartment complex which is quite large, have dogs and I don't know if they have been keeping up with their pooches flea and tick prevention.  

Sesi .................................. we could be soul mates!     You sound about as fanatical as I am  -  and you also sound as if you have done as much research!    For flea prevention I use Billy No Mates  - been using it for a couple of years now  - no sign of fleas.  Totally herbal  - even safe for my epileptic boy.

• 3 months later...

im a new husky owner here so forgive me lol

I heard chicken carrass wasn't good for them with the bits being small etc

I have mince and some beef pieces which he seems to like 

he didn't like the biscuits I got

loved the chicken roll I got but was told thats no no 

he is 3 years 

help lol

4 hours ago, Jecc84 said:

im a new husky owner here so forgive me lol

I heard chicken carrass wasn't good for them with the bits being small etc

I have mince and some beef pieces which he seems to like 

he didn't like the biscuits I got

loved the chicken roll I got but was told thats no no 

he is 3 years 

help lol

Exactly what sort of help do you want/need?    There's nothing wrong with a chicken carcase  - providing its not fed too often  -  and its raw of course.   The raw bones are easily crunched up and providing it does not form more than around 8-10% of that days meal  - no worries.    As with us,  variety is the spice of life,  beef, lamb, kangaroo, venison, rabbit, chicken, duck, pork, whole  fresh (frozen) herrings, sardines, raw eggs, bone broth, - veggies can include raw brussels, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower  etc.    Herrings and sardines are your friends  -  they are more nutritionally complete than even an egg  (egg does not contain Vit C), and they will both help to balance out the fats in beef, pork, chicken & lamb etc., as well as giving vital nutrients from the organs inside the whole fish (brain, eyes, pancreas etc).

• 5 months later...

Any advice on how to get a fussy dog to eat raw? She’s a 1yr and 4 months 3/4 husky and 1/4 Rottweiler, She’s always been fussy to the point we’ve tried at least 10 different wet and dry foods cause she just gets bored and stops eating them. So we’ve recently tried feeding raw, she’s 18kg now but obviously expecting her to grow a little more so aiming to feed around 450-500g a day. We’ve tried a few different meats e.g. beef steaks, lamb steaks, salmon, a whole chicken without the neck and innards cause I bought it from Tesco, and also some liver. Everything she turned her nose up at and just played with it, other than eating some of the chicken mainly just the skin and some fat off the beef. We’ve tried a few things from freezing it, adding chicken stock, cutting it up small rather than giving it too her whole, cooking the beef steaks slightly either sides, mixing kibble, but with no success. Tryna leave her now until she just gets hungry enough she has to eat it but it’s been around 3 days, she literally will eat the bare minimum possible e.g. a mouthful or two to keep her going but nothing more. Even tried exercising her more as we normally only give her an hour walk a day and an extra half hour in the evening but I’ve been taking her out on my bike also to make her hungrier but still no joy. Don’t really want to go back kibble and wet food if I can help it  as we just have to switch it every couple days otherwise she won’t eat that either  so any ideas on feeding an ultra fussy husky?

• 1 month later...

I've begun feeding my 8yr husky raw from a UK company called Able - https://www.able.dog who deliver to your door. I found them from https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory which ranks food based on nutritional quality.

Good info about the nutrition here https://www.able.dog/pages/nutrition-and-ingredients

I like the fact I can buy them in portions and simply open the pack, tip upside and drop it in the bowl - no mess! And when you look at the food you realise what a mistake it was to give your dog that highly processed kibble!