Official Raw Feeding Thread

Elyse

I was looking into Primal RAW diet, to change my dog off the Purina Pro plan dog food. http://www.primalpetfoods.com I dont know if i will be able to make his food at this moment. I would like to in the long run, but at the moment I dont have a machine to grind up everything. What do you guys think? 

Looks okay, but it is very easy to make up your own "prey model raw" and you don't need a grinder. Grinding is normally done with  BARF which is the other style of raw feeding and you can buy ready made frozen versions. With BARF I am referring to the food model not the brand called BARF. 

Looks okay, but it is very easy to make up your own "prey model raw" and you don't need a grinder. Grinding is normally done with  BARF which is the other style of raw feeding and you can buy ready made frozen versions. With BARF I am referring to the food model not the brand called BARF. 

Yes i read the BARF model, we like that because it gives him vegetables. which we feed him now in small cut up pieces.  Could some of you share how you make your own RAW feed? I would love some input. I think I might try the Primal Foods, until I am able to start making it on our own. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help, I have a 10 wk agouti Siberian husky the breeders had her on autarky biscuit and raw meat and veg, I have changed her biscuit to harringtons natural food slowly and started giving her the nature and raw pouches with raw veg and fruit. Everything was fine for a couple of days but for the last 2days she has had the runs. Normally I would just give her cooked rice and chick but I've been told not to give her to much rice and that she shouldn't have dairy so I did we think I could give her bio yogurt. Please help I'm new to this and brain is going to explode with all the info I'm reading lol. I'm trying to do the tight thing she is my baby.

cooked rice and boiled chicken is for me alway the best solution for upset tummies...

the otherthing you culd look into is are you maybe overfeeding our furkiddos can get runny poos from that as well...

Can anyone help, I have a 10 wk agouti Siberian husky the breeders had her on autarky biscuit and raw meat and veg, I have changed her biscuit to harringtons natural food slowly and started giving her the nature and raw pouches with raw veg and fruit. Everything was fine for a couple of days but for the last 2days she has had the runs. Normally I would just give her cooked rice and chick but I've been told not to give her to much rice and that she shouldn't have dairy so I did we think I could give her bio yogurt. Please help I'm new to this and brain is going to explode with all the info I'm reading lol. I'm trying to do the tight thing she is my baby.

i gave Kato pumpkin when he was on raw with his food if I'm switching or transitioning to anything. It helps alot. Just mix a tablespoon of pumpkin to his food. Most people use canned but just make sure it's 100% pumpkin and not the pie/cake mix. Kato also had a very upset stomach for eatin bird waste and pumpkin with a bit of rice, boiled chicken, chicken broth(to give the rice flavor so they would eat it) cured his upset stomach in a day.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, paulb1912 said:

Stupid question, I see thw words chicken carcass etc does this mean you aint giving them the "breast" meat or are you just giving the whole bird so to speak.. To me carcass means stripped of meat

You are correct stripped of meat bones and all, not boiled...or cooked...

Just now, robke said:

You are correct stripped of meat bones and all, not boiled...or cooked...

Thanks pal, another stupid question then do people give their huskies raw chicken meat or do they cook it? Sorry for dumb questions, dont want to feed her raw chicken breast etc if its going to be bad for her... Would prefer not to give her chicken actually, prefer beef, fish etc

oh I am the wrong person to ask that one LOL  i boil chicken when mine are not right but otherwise I feed hollistic meat pellets made by FarmFoods...

maybe @Jase can help you more on this one...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulb1912 said:

Thanks pal, another stupid question then do people give their huskies raw chicken meat or do they cook it? Sorry for dumb questions, dont want to feed her raw chicken breast etc if its going to be bad for her... Would prefer not to give her chicken actually, prefer beef, fish etc

I feed chicken raw, ideally the chicken will have been frozen for around 2 weeks. I feed sections of the chicken raw and with bones. Usually 1/4 or 1/2 depending on how big the bird is.  Most of the info on ratios of meat bone and organs are contained in this thread. 

I also feed almost every other type of meat that I can my hands on, including whole raw fish :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I found a new raw supplier a few months ago and have now had three deliveries from them   (no affiliation whatsoever)

http://www.naturaldogsdirect.co.uk/shop-2/?product_count=36

I cannot emphasize just how impressed I am with the quality of the meat.    Below is a picture of the salmon  Marley had for lunch  -  which I had to cut up into smaller pieces for him - he won't tackle large lumps of meat or fish - whereas Lunar will take a whole fish.    I have not received one package of food that I would not have eaten myself (if I ate meat).   It comes fully frozen in a polystyrene sealed box, delivered by courier.  Each item is vacuum packed and flat frozen - so £60 worth of meat will fit onto two freezer shelves, and stacks easily (month's supply of food for two dogs).    Their favourite is definitely the duck necks  - followed by the lamb neck chunks   (a whole lambs neck chopped into 4  - easier for Marley) - there is so much meat left on the bone.

P1010696.JPG

• 2 years later...

I've been feeding my boy a chicken carcass for dinner for a little over a week now and he really enjoys it and seems to be doing well on it. I'm wondering if I'm feeding him enough, though. Should I be feeding him two for dinner instead of just one? The chicken carcasses are about 210g each, give or take. He's a little over 8 months old and weighs 19kgs.

Can I ask what else you are giving him?   Chicken is devoid of: Vit C, Vit D, Vit K, Iodine, Phosphorous  -  and extremely high in fat.    Marley is  nearly 3 years old and weighs 22 kilos   -   depending on how large boned your boy is - he may be a little on the chunky side.

Really dont want to be teaching granny to suck eggs if you know what you are doing with raw feeding (I only have the above post to go on), but  I usually give two different meats and one fish with each meal,  yesterday they had minced beef, chicken breast, salmon & a raw egg each.     This was then followed up with their favourite  -  raw lambs ribs   -  they are great for pups and adults alike.    Sardines and herrings are high in Omega 3.

Dogs naturally magazine (on line)  have loads of great articles on raw feeding   -  I am happy to send you links if you would like.   Also I have created a simple spreadsheet which shows what vitamin and mineral is in each type of meat & fish.   If you would like a copy I would be happy to send you one  -  just message me with your email address.

There are quite a raw feeders on here  -  we all have our own ideas  -  but if you give each vitamin and mineral at least once a week it usually works out ok  -  raw feeding is not hard  -  but can take a little time to get your head around it at the start.    I take it a little further  -  I ensure my boys get  all the vitamins and minerals they need in a two day window. Vitamins C,D,E,K  and sufficient Zinc are usually the hardest to get in a raw diet.   Humans need around 15mg of zinc daily  -  dogs needs are higher (around 40mg I believe)  and huskies are higher still  -  they can need up to 100mg of zinc daily.

Foods That Are Naturally High In Zinc Most meats, 100 grams yield 100 mgs of Zinc ( beef, chicken, duck, pork,● salmon) 100 grams of the following foods yield Zinc in the following quantities:● Turkey 120mgs● Lamb 150mgs● Liver 130mgs● Tuna in oil 120 mgs● Eggs 70mgs● Apples, blackberries, and strawberries 100mgs● Plain yogurt 200mgs● Carrots (raw) 50 mgs● Potato (baked) 120 mgs● Pumpkin 100 mgs

Most dogs can absorb around 40% of the ingested zinc.

No doubt others will be along with their comments and advice if you want it   -  and to fill in the bits I have missed on this short post.

Your boy looks gorgeous by the way.  

He definitely is not on the chunky side since he's pretty lean and I was worried if I was even feeding him enough since he seems skinny 😅 I don't feed exclusively raw; I feed him kibble in the morning and chicken carcass for dinner in the evening. I know Royal Canin isn't very popular around here but I only just got him and it was what his previous owners were feeding him so I'm sticking with it for this bag and then I might switch to TOTW or something similar.

Thank you for all the information ☺️ If I were to give him fish, does it have to be free of bone? Can I also ask how much you feed your dogs per meal?

Bones, skull, skin, fins and all.    My boys get mainly sardines and herrings  -  Lunar gets the whole fish but Marley is quite genteel  -  he wants his cut up into inch sized pieces and wont eat the head  (fussy little lad)  -  when the supermarkets have an offer on salmon - I go and ask for the cut-offs  (head, tail, spines etc)  -  they give them to me free  whereas I would pay around £1 per salmon head at my local raw food shop.   Lunar loves a raw salmon head (sharp teeth included).    There are ratios in how much to feed  -  I believe its around 2%-3% of the dogs weight per day  -  but to be honest I really just eyeball it.   If they look as if they are putting on weight I give them less  -  if they start to look thin then I up the quantity.    I really only worry about Lunar my older dog  -  Marley is not quite 3 and is very self regulating  -  huskies rarely overeat - when he has had enough he leaves the rest.

I believe TOTW is quite popular  -  others on here can advise more on the pre-prepared  stuff  -  I've been raw feeding for over 10 years - long before the commercial stuff was available so never got into it.

I feed human grade meat and fish etc, the fish is usually boneless sometimes there’s small bones in the salmon I might’ve missed but they’re crunchy not big and sharp, and some raw feeders will feed the whole fish, skin on and guts intact, some say it’s good to feed the whole fish as they’re getting most of the nutrients they need. As for how much to feed it depends on the weight of your dog, if you have a look on dog food packaging there’s usually a guide, I was caught out once because I didn’t convert kilograms to grams when measuring meat [emoji849] fish and sweet potato are a favourite of mine in the mornings. I add a handful of dry mixer to their meals in the evening and if you’re giving treats you’ll need to add the amount you give onto their daily food allowance. Fruit contains essential vitamins, melon, blackberries, blueberries, apples and bananas, apricots make great treats, NEVER feed grapes in any form as they’re toxic to dogs. I feel there’s so much choice and variety with raw feeding and the health benefits are proven with studies conducted. Good luck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

• 1 year later...

HI everyone. 

looking for some advice  on raw feeding.

Had our boy over 4 years now and we switched him to raw a couple weeks after we got him from breeders. All good until a few months back when he just started turning his nose up at it.

We'd feed whole chicken, pork ribs, beef/ribs egg etc all the standard stuff. Tried the old pick it up after 15 mins and then leave until next dinenr time but he beat us in a battle of wills.

We've tried all manner of prepared complete minces, chunky/small mince, Wolf Tucker and various brands. No joy.

We got him to eat only chicken breast and legs/wings but found it was liver and offal that he wouldn;t go near. So my question is how can we keep with raw and get the vitamins and minerals he needs if he wont go near liver/offal?

thanks in advance

1 hour ago, law said:

HI everyone. 

looking for some advice  on raw feeding.

Had our boy over 4 years now and we switched him to raw a couple weeks after we got him from breeders. All good until a few months back when he just started turning his nose up at it.

We'd feed whole chicken, pork ribs, beef/ribs egg etc all the standard stuff. Tried the old pick it up after 15 mins and then leave until next dinenr time but he beat us in a battle of wills.

We've tried all manner of prepared complete minces, chunky/small mince, Wolf Tucker and various brands. No joy.

We got him to eat only chicken breast and legs/wings but found it was liver and offal that he wouldn;t go near. So my question is how can we keep with raw and get the vitamins and minerals he needs if he wont go near liver/offal?

thanks in advance

I have a similar problem with offal with my Marley, especially liver  - all he will do with it raw is roll in it,   if I cook it he will ignore it completely.    However if I dehydrate it, it becomes a very high level treat  -  he cannot get enough of it.   dehydrating it will retain all of the vitamins and enzymes.     You can pick a dehydrator up for around £40 that will do the job  - but if you can spend a little bit more  I would go for this one  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075DBPR7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I got my new one on Xmas Eve and cannot fault it  - currently have a new batch of liver going at the moment.     I also got these:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FP3NXMZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1          they make it so much easier to get the thinly sliced dried liver off the trays as you can peel the base away from the liver - rather than try it the other way round.

51 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

I have a similar problem with offal with my Marley, especially liver  - all he will do with it raw is roll in it,   if I cook it he will ignore it completely.    However if I dehydrate it, it becomes a very high level treat  -  he cannot get enough of it.   dehydrating it will retain all of the vitamins and enzymes.     You can pick a dehydrator up for around £40 that will do the job  - but if you can spend a little bit more  I would go for this one  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075DBPR7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I got my new one on Xmas Eve and cannot fault it  - currently have a new batch of liver going at the moment.     I also got these:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FP3NXMZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1          they make it so much easier to get the thinly sliced dried liver off the trays as you can peel the base away from the liver - rather than try it the other way round.

Ah cool, thats a great idea! Thanks so much.

If I can ask, what is Marleys typical food bowl made up of? 

Kodi will be fine with meat and bone (doesn't like fish) and will eat tripe if he's in the mood.

thanks again :)

32 minutes ago, law said:

Ah cool, thats a great idea! Thanks so much.

If I can ask, what is Marleys typical food bowl made up of? 

Kodi will be fine with meat and bone (doesn't like fish) and will eat tripe if he's in the mood.

thanks again :)

Marley has several severe food allergies  - to the extent I have to ensure that the meat he eats has not been fed  Soya  (his worst allergy)  corn, rice or wheat.  He used to be allergic to 9 different foods but I have managed to get them down to four.    Fish is one of the best foods you can give your dog.     if he does not like raw fish  -  have you tried to give him a frozen herring or frozen sardine?      The reason I am asking this is that I have been helping another member with a problem eater  -  who also would not eat fish   -  she tried him on raw frozen herrings (whole fish)  and he loves them  - but wont touch them if thawed.

Today my boys had:   around 150 grams fresh cheap minced beef (20% fat) from my butcher ( they have their own herds  - grass fed and finished on barley), around 150 grams kangaroo, & 3 herrings each,   followed by around 150ml of kefir.    They also get a tin of sardines in spring water for breakfast  (easiest way of getting Marley's cbd oil down him  - he is also epileptic - controlled by only cbd oil - no vet meds).

They normally get   grass fed lamb, beef, kangaroo,  goat (when I can get it), venison, herrings, sardines (whole, raw),  lamb & beef bone broth,   Marley also loves rabbit - but Mikey wont eat it,  egg (occasionally), salmon (occasionally),  veggies include brussel sprouts, broccolli, cauliflower, asparagus & blueberries  (twice a week added to their food).  I rarely use commercial raw food as only Paleo Ridge could guarantee some of their products to be free of Marley's allergens.   No other supplier would give any sort of assurances.    I normally aim for 2 different meats and one fish daily  - this ensures they get every single vitamin & mineral there is on a daily basis  - although if they get it once or twice a week this is sufficient.

3 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Marley has several severe food allergies  - to the extent I have to ensure that the meat he eats has not been fed  Soya  (his worst allergy)  corn, rice or wheat.  He used to be allergic to 9 different foods but I have managed to get them down to four.    Fish is one of the best foods you can give your dog.     if he does not like raw fish  -  have you tried to give him a frozen herring or frozen sardine?      The reason I am asking this is that I have been helping another member with a problem eater  -  who also would not eat fish   -  she tried him on raw frozen herrings (whole fish)  and he loves them  - but wont touch them if thawed.

Today my boys had:   around 150 grams fresh cheap minced beef (20% fat) from my butcher ( they have their own herds  - grass fed and finished on barley), around 150 grams kangaroo, & 3 herrings each,   followed by around 150ml of kefir.    They also get a tin of sardines in spring water for breakfast  (easiest way of getting Marley's cbd oil down him  - he is also epileptic - controlled by only cbd oil - no vet meds).

They normally get   grass fed lamb, beef, kangaroo,  goat (when I can get it), venison, herrings, sardines (whole, raw),  lamb & beef bone broth,   Marley also loves rabbit - but Mikey wont eat it,  egg (occasionally), salmon (occasionally),  veggies include brussel sprouts, broccolli, cauliflower, asparagus & blueberries  (twice a week added to their food).  I rarely use commercial raw food as only Paleo Ridge could guarantee some of their products to be free of Marley's allergens.   No other supplier would give any sort of assurances.    I normally aim for 2 different meats and one fish daily  - this ensures they get every single vitamin & mineral there is on a daily basis  - although if they get it once or twice a week this is sufficient.

Brilliant, thanks for all the info.

I’m also a raw feeder, I’ve always mixed my own 80:10:10 ratio with chicken, beef, lamb, fish, an assortment of veggies and bone etc but I’ve started to give them a ready prepared raw food 3 times a week from a company online called Naturaw, they love the surf and turf, simply lamb and the chicken, it’s worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners