Portable computing

Marc

I'm sure like me quite a few of you carry about a pen drive on your keys, or maybe in your handbags, purse etc. Do you only use it for carrying data about?

Ive not used any of these for a while, but Iused to do and some of them are pretty good, especially if you tend to end up at peoples houses where you need a specific application they dont have installled. This is where portable applications come in handy.

You can get pretty much anything in a free portable app nowadays, from portable firefox to msn, skype, utorrent and even full operating systems if you really want to. Take a look on this site and it will give you an idea of applications you can carry about with you on your pen drive

http://portableapps.com/apps

Great for moving data around been doing it for years its just a shame you cant put a full operating system on one and get a computer to boot from it ( I know some of todays newer comps you probley can ).

Gone are the days when I used to go round fixing comps with a bag full of cds biggrin.gif

I have a 'smart' pen drive with various apps on it. Great for taking to work and unlike most USB sticks, which can't be used at work, mine can for some reason and more of a 'mini hard drive' than a memory stick.

Also love my BT mobile internet dongle, as appears not to be specific to any mobile network, and apparently 'piggybacks' on the best one it can find. The internet connectiuon on that is often twice as fast as our home broadband