Suddenly Lethargic? Not Drinking Much?

Elyse

For two days in a row now, my parents have said Suka isn't acting like himself. He's very lethargic - normally he asks for walks and he hasn't been. They say he hasn't been drinking much (eating okay), and he's "almost bleary eyed" (their words).

He's been eating grass a lot while outside, but he hasn't thrown up. He's outside right now and they hope he'll go poo, so I guess that means he hasn't been pooping (as often?)?

Initially I thought it was his arthritis acting up, but this time they say its different: No favouring or any change of gait. And he's never been off his water before.

And, usually when Suka's arthritis is bugging him, my Dad complains about his arthritis too.

There's been no change in his diet.

I'm pretty worried - should I tell them to take him to the vet? (I wish I was there!!)

post-3404-0-22530200-1380509176_thumb.jp

(EDIT: My Dad just sent me a text:

He wasn't drinking a lot before we put him outside for about one and a half hours - but he was drinking - now a lot more

Translation: He just wasn't drinking as much water as he normally would, but he's still drinking. So...that's good...?)

I think I would, being off their food is one thing - but they've got to have a good supply of water to stay healthy.  If he doesn't drink a reasonable amount pretty soon then he's going to be in bad shape - then it''s definitely vet time.

Make sure they really know he's not drinking - maybe getting water from some unusual place?  But lethargy and lack of water is a bad combination - definitely worth checking out.

My Dad just sent me a text:

He wasn't drinking a lot before we put him outside for about one and a half hours - but he was drinking - now a lot more

Translation: He just wasn't drinking as much water as he normally would, but he's still drinking. So...that's good...?

I think sometimes we are too quick to jump on the vets bandwagon dogs I find are very much like us in the sense of having off days and why not no one is going to 100% 100% of the time why should we expect our dogs to be ?

Saskia has arthritis as well not nice :( and I have see her go days without eating and drinking very little I put it down to her bad days and she always comes out of it :)

Hope he is OK Elyse it must be hard you not being there and only your parents can tell if they need to visit the vets I hope not xx  

I have to agree with both the previous comments.  It's really hard when our dogs can't talk and something unusual happens - exacerbated by the fact that Elyse isn't where she can see her dog.

I also agree that we sometimes want someone else to say that everything's okay and the vet is 'the one' we expect most to know whether things are or aren't.

I'm seldom concerned when my (or anyone's) Husky decides to take a break from food - they seem to do that often enough that it's "normal"; on the other hand water is a necessity for bodily function and when they stop drinking that - to me - is a major red flag that something is very wrong. 

Glad to hear that she's back to her "normal Husky" self.

Try getting him to eat some watermelon.  If he's not drinking much trick him into eating something that will keep him hydrated.  My dogs love watermelon, actually the puppy just discovered it a couple days ago and now when i get some she is right on top of me trying to get a piece,  Just make sure it's seedless.  

I think sometimes we are too quick to jump on the vets bandwagon dogs I find are very much like us in the sense of having off days and why not no one is going to 100% 100% of the time why should we expect our dogs to be ?

Saskia has arthritis as well not nice :( and I have see her go days without eating and drinking very little I put it down to her bad days and she always comes out of it :)

Hope he is OK Elyse it must be hard you not being there and only your parents can tell if they need to visit the vets I hope not xx  

Good point: my Dad said something along those lines. As you get older, you have your good days and bad days. Its still early morning, but this evening I'll ask them how he is. 

Dunc I agree with you, although the other symptoms she mentioned would mean that there may be something else going on.

I am not sure in Canada, but here in Ohio it is $25 for a wellness check. To me I would spend that for a splinter in the paw.

It is ultimately your decision.

You're so lucky. Here it's $75 for a basic wellness check, and anything after that is extra (for example, a full panel of blood work is $125 extra). All vets around my area charge around the same.

I have to agree with both the previous comments.  It's really hard when our dogs can't talk and something unusual happens - exacerbated by the fact that Elyse isn't where she can see her dog.

I also agree that we sometimes want someone else to say that everything's okay and the vet is 'the one' we expect most to know whether things are or aren't.

I'm seldom concerned when my (or anyone's) Husky decides to take a break from food - they seem to do that often enough that it's "normal"; on the other hand water is a necessity for bodily function and when they stop drinking that - to me - is a major red flag that something is very wrong. 

Glad to hear that she's back to her "normal Husky" self.

*he. :) 

I would take him to the vets yes.

Considering hes older.

And the not drinkig much.

Dehydration can get them fast

Late last night I was updated on his condition: He's not drinking as much water as he normally would, but he's still drinking.

Try getting him to eat some watermelon.  If he's not drinking much trick him into eating something that will keep him hydrated.  My dogs love watermelon, actually the puppy just discovered it a couple days ago and now when i get some she is right on top of me trying to get a piece,  Just make sure it's seedless.  

Unfortunately he doesn't like watermelon - we've tried it with him before. In fact, he doesn't like any fruits or veggies and will actually pick them off of a (stolen!) pizza. 

Good point: my Dad said something along those lines. As you get older, you have your good days and bad days. Its still early morning, but this evening I'll ask them how he is.

You're so lucky. Here it's $75 for a basic wellness check, and anything after that is extra (for example, a full panel of blood work is $125 extra). All vets around my area charge around the same.

*he. :)

Late last night I was updated on his condition: He's not drinking as much water as he normally would, but he's still drinking.

Unfortunately he doesn't like watermelon - we've tried it with him before. In fact, he doesn't like any fruits or veggies and will actually pick them off of a (stolen!) pizza.

any news?

Parents aren't responding to my texts, so I don't know....I know they've both been really busy and stressed at work, so maybe they just keep on forgetting to respond. I'll try again tonight, maybe we can even skype. As soon as I know anything, I'll let you guys know. 

I 'think' he's okay though - last time I heard he was starting to drink again and he was pooping okay.

• 6 years later...

my husky duke has been experiencing the same symptoms for a week and im freaking out. hes so out of character and looks miserable. bloodwork is normal, has been on iv fluids earlier this week but no improvement for very long. im going to another vet for second opinion (for lack of a better word-first vet just said doesnt know whats wrong) but ive researched for days and cant figure this out. has anyone experienced this and might know whats going on with him? in the evenings he looks confused and i wonder if he recognizes me or hallucinating. hes only 7 yo