Help: Feral Cat Gave Birth In My Yard

mydiamond

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

Well, orange kitty is certainly gaining weight, but his siblings are also getting bigger :jawdrop: I'll get a pic soon :D

Duo found herself in my house again yesterday.. hopefully she will stop doing this because my dad HATES her :( if he finds out I'm feeding Duo.... ugh idk I can't imagine what will happen  :( I wonder why would she do this though. Her food bowl is right next to the kitty barrel. And that's outside, in my front yard. It's not like the scent of Diamond's TOTW attracted her, right?  :huh:

EDIT: I heard a nasty cat fight last night. Every cat sounds the same when they're fighting so I don't know is it Duo or not, but I ran outside with a flashlight just to make sure. No cats were found in my front yard (I was VERY sure the fight happened there) so I walked back home. Less than a minute later another "MEOOWW!!!" was heard and for the second time I ran out with a flashlight. Nope, still no cats around the yard. Checked the barrel and Duo was sitting upright, licking her kittens. It's almost like she had just jumped in. Maybe that's why she keeps entering the house? Because it's safer? :( 

UPDATE

Is it bad that I named the kitties? :P can't help it, they've been here eight days :wub: but first off, pictures. 

post-2850-0-08308500-1381146177_thumb.jp

So as you can see orange kitty, now "Bilbo", is still the smallest in the litter. However he's gaining weight just like the other two it's just that he can't catch up with their growth :) Piebald kitty, now "Arwen", has beaten orange kitty and took the "drama queen" title. Now she's the one who always screams at every slightest motion or sound :facepalm: she also likes to climb on top of B/W kitty--now "Frodo"--so I thought "maybe she's cold" so added yet another bedding today.

I usually try to visit the kittens when Duo is away, but today I saw Duo making her way to the barrel when I was about to return home. She stopped dead in her tracks and wore a cautious face, but--to my surprise--remained content and didn't hiss. So I just said "hey, baby girl" and walked away :P

I think Diamond is starting to notice that I have other "furbabies" now. He started following me whenever I go outside and when I ask him to go back inside, he sits by the door waiting LOL when I come in he sniffs me as if asking: "are you seeing other dogs?? Huh?? Are you??" :lol: that's both sweet and heart-breaking LOL he used to be the center of my world, my one and only "baby". But since the kitties arrive every now and then I walk out to the front yard (which is outside the gate so he always thinks I go somewhere far) to leave food or just check on them. Poor boy hang on the kitties will grow up soon :lol:

well they certainly are getting bigger now, what age do they go their seperate ways? I've always been allergic to cats so don't know much about them :unsure:

I've been reading about cats since the little ones are born LOL so I heard that females tend to stay while males wander when they're at their adolescence. But another article suggests that feral cats abandon their kittens when they're 4 weeks old.. because technically at that age they're already a little cat--not an infant anymore--and have the ability to survive. I know nature is harsh and we should let nature do what they do, but there's no way I'm gonna let these babies roam the busy streets at 4 weeks old :( I know some cat people so will try to find them a home. Or if I can't at least they'll face the real world at an older age.

FINAL UPDATE

I have just checked the barrel today. Looks like my job is done. Kitties are no longer here :) earlier today when I came home from school I saw Duo roaming my yard so I thought the kitties are still here, but nope instinct finally kicked in and after nine days Duo finally moved her three. Somewhere. I just hope it's warm enough because Arwen likes to scream :lol: I won't lie I kinda miss them now. Might also walk around the neighborhood trying to locate Duo's second den.. I'll make sure to tell you guys if I find them again :) but for now, so long kitties! Totally didn't expect them to stay for more than a week. This is certainly an experience I'll never forget :)

Well done Olivia

You've done a superb job keeping them safe and Two face fed and sheltered.

You've earned some good Karma points :up:

Well done, Olivia! :)

And I see your an LOTR fan, eh?

LOTR and The Hobbit!! :D :D when will they release the second part? I so want to see the dragon fight :P

totally missing the kittens now :( I still put down food for Duo in case she pops in for a visit, but it felt weird sleeping at night without hearing several "mew mew"s from the yard. I *think* this kitty family is still in my yard because I saw Duo roaming another part of my yard. Plus I found a piece of the kittens' bedding there, too. When mama cat is hunting for nutrition they go far away don't they? If she's still roaming my yard, I guess the babies are here also  

LOTR and The Hobbit!! :D :D when will they release the second part? I so want to see the dragon fight :P

totally missing the kittens now :( I still put down food for Duo in case she pops in for a visit, but it felt weird sleeping at night without hearing several "mew mew"s from the yard. I *think* this kitty family is still in my yard because I saw Duo roaming another part of my yard. Plus I found a piece of the kittens' bedding there, too. When mama cat is hunting for nutrition they go far away don't they? If she's still roaming my yard, I guess the babies are here also  

I think December 17, atleast that's when they are releasing it here. I can't wait!!

so... nope, kittens are not here anymore. But Duo is. And I still feed her every day. Funny how she stops running away when she sees me now :) today I put down the food right in front of her nose. Well, she was in front of the gate and I am behind it but that's the very first time we were head-to-head without any of us turning away. I really can't keep a pet cat but she's so sweet I can't help it :lol: 

UPDATE!!

Oh my gosh the kittens are back! :D :D they're very much alive and healthy! I'm trying to upload a short video but somehow my phone says "can't upload <title> to YouTube" :( they're nineteen days old today. Ears are now perked up (so cute!) and you can tell which one is male which one is female. Bilbo, the orange kitty, is obviously a boy and the other two... idk yet LOL will check when Duo goes out for food. Exciting news for me but maybe bad news for Diamond... He won't be allowed to roam the front porch without supervision as long as the kitties are present. They're not in the barrel anymore and idk if it's okay to move them so.. yeah might want to keep my front yard husky-free for a week or two. 

EDIT: took some piccies :D unfortunately Duo chose the worst place ever to keep her babies. That's my fish pond there....and it's under construction!  :( I need her to move. Preferably back to the clay barrel. I'll check if it's okay to touch the kittens and move them...

post-2850-0-19024300-1382087108_thumb.jp

Arwen the piebald kitty giving Duo a slap :lol: still a total jerk, I see  :rolleyes:

post-2850-0-12449200-1382087115_thumb.jp