Husky Ran Away Then Came Back? Off Lead Training?

nickyd

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heyy first of all the cows are MY PARENTS cows sorry for not specifying. She only runs on there farm in enclosed fences and chases cows/mules, its prolly not nice to them but it works. After bikjoring, playing with her toys/laser, or doing any of her other favorite activities nothing compares to when she gets to run 'full speed for around a hour while loose chasing cows. When I was referring to luck has nothing to do with it I did not mean that was with her coming back. It was lucky she came back. I meant I let her off leash every time I am over there so it isn't luck she comes back it is training. Would I let her loose in town or at a park ? No. At the farm is only where we do it at. It takes her a while to relize shes off then she looks at me. I say go get the cows sasha right now! and off she goes. I know huskies are not supposed to be off lead but her quality of life is ten fold since she can now do that.

Gotta be honest Nick, what you are doing is kinda half an half with me.

Its good for them to get some offlead time in an enclosed area, which is what your doing. Its also  a really good idea for them to have good recall just so that if they do ever accidentally get off the leash in an area thats not enclosed you have a chance of getting them back. I think most people on here (if not all) would agree. However being in a field with cows is certainly not a good idea as it could be dangerous. Lets be honest, none of us know what she is like when she is in that field other than you and she may well not go near them in much of a way which is going to get her hurt, however there is always a chance. Cows are big animals that can do a lot of harm and unlike a sheepdog huskies are a little more "I dont care, its fun" to the degree they can get themselves hurt. Is there not any other enclosed fields with no animals in them where you can let her off?

Can I ask a question regarding the long leash you guys mentioned? Does it not get tangled up? I know it should be used in remote area but say in an open field or forest wouldn't it get tangled up with branches or get rolled in the mud etc?

yes it does and then you untangle them and go one esp with 2 long lines LOL and when they get dirty to much is a pillow case and in the washing machine....:D

Big Blaze and Skyla you said you hope my dog gets kicked by the cows ? that's not very nice.... and no she is in this pasture the whole point is she loves chasing cows. IDK its prolly in her DNA to try to separate a cow from the heard and chase it down lol. I have never seen a dog so happy as when I call her and she has a ear to ear smile prancing back from chasing the cows but now everyone has me thinking so maybe I wont let her do that anymore..... but I swear she has depression/anxiety and that is the only thing she loves more than being with me. It was super nice I was gone all week so my parents were baby sitting and when I got home last night she jumped up on me and then continued to climb up me trying to kiss me more when I got home hahaha.

I think all dogs should have the ability to run free full speed, how would you like to live your whole life controlled? Like even if you were on vacation but couldn't go everywhere you wanted because someone was controlling your movements. That's just a fact unless everyone has more docile husky's that are so used to being inside the house or on lead they are fine with it but from my personal experience with this amazing dog, I know she really likes to run free and it improves her quality of life. She is my best friend, I take her literally everywhere I go errands events ect ect, I can sense when she is not happy anymore by how she acts and then I take her over to chase cows and she loves it. Any more suggestions? 

If you have a fully enclosed area without the cows that would work best as although your girl will love to chase the livestock, they will not be enjoying it quite so much and likely getting quite stressed out from being chased.

If you have other doggy friends in your area maybe you could meet up and let them run around together playing in the safety of the enclosure? Some playmates should work wonders at tiring them out and will give you someone to talk to and have a laugh with at the same time. [emoji1]

Big Blaze and Skyla you said you hope my dog gets kicked by the cows ? that's not very nice.... and no she is in this pasture the whole point is she loves chasing cows. IDK its prolly in her DNA to try to separate a cow from the heard and chase it down lol. I have never seen a dog so happy as when I call her and she has a ear to ear smile prancing back from chasing the cows but now everyone has me thinking so maybe I wont let her do that anymore..... but I swear she has depression/anxiety and that is the only thing she loves more than being with me. It was super nice I was gone all week so my parents were baby sitting and when I got home last night she jumped up on me and then continued to climb up me trying to kiss me more when I got home hahaha.

I think all dogs should have the ability to run free full speed, how would you like to live your whole life controlled? Like even if you were on vacation but couldn't go everywhere you wanted because someone was controlling your movements. That's just a fact unless everyone has more docile husky's that are so used to being inside the house or on lead they are fine with it but from my personal experience with this amazing dog, I know she really likes to run free and it improves her quality of life. She is my best friend, I take her literally everywhere I go errands events ect ect, I can sense when she is not happy anymore by how she acts and then I take her over to chase cows and she loves it. Any more suggestions?

It was a mis print I reply on my phone I meant I hope one day a cow doesn't have enough and kick out at her,sorry I would never want a dog hurt but letting her in a area with cows is risking her safety

I think you need to reconsider quality of life. Husky was bred for sledding but majority of them these days never sled. There is always alternatives for them to run. Even when they sled, they are on lines. You can find suitable sports where she can run her heart out, but doesn't have to be off leash. Or find enclosed places where you can find her when she doesn't come back. The biggest prob with off leash is not that they don't come back, but they would keep running chasing whatever they are after, and what happen along the way, is the biggest risk. So even at the farm area, if she decides to take off, how far can she go and what are the risks in the area, such as wildlife, hunters, cars etc, that's what you need to access.

My partner just purchased a gps tracking device for Molly, but it is only for the worst case scenario if she ever escape, because it is pointless if we let her run loose, and use the tracking device only to find a dead dog.

Some dogs are independent and survival, I am sure we have seen those waking along side owners by BUSY road and I hold my breath for the what if. But these are normally the breeds that value their owners more than they value a prey. I am sure your dog loves you, but how much does she wants to please you, is it enough to put down her husky instinct?

Our other dog is a basset who was bred for hunting, ie flushing out rabbits. I could let him take a scent course but chose not to. I compensate this by taking him to forest, park, beach, farm etc. He doesn't run away when he is off leash, because he is too busy sniffing, but even then I leash him as soon as we are near the end of the field. Bear in mind that this is a slow dog, yet believe me when they run you wouldn't be able to catch them. And then think about Husky, how fast they are and how far they can go.

I am sorry almost none of us here agree with the off leash approach, but ultimately it is your dog your choice. And lastly, just a reminder that cows are just like dogs or horses or any other animals, they have feelings and emotions but the difference is unlike dogs who knows bite inhabition, a kick from a cow (or horse) is just a kick without much consideration.

Yes thanks for the good info she wont be running with the cows again.

That's what we are looking for.

we're concerned for the health and welfare of the dog.

Please don't think we're beating on you.

We just want the dawg to be safe. :)

I haven't been involved much in this topic, but I'd just like to say that I'm sure none of those people above typed their comments just to shoot you down. It is very clear that you love your dog as much as we love ours, so please don't take it as we're saying you don't care about her. Glad to hear she won't be running with the cows again as that is admittedly dangerous. Although hard to find, there are double-gated dog parks around that gives these escape artists a chance to run around :) hope to hear more updates from you x

Huskies are runners not runaways

like any dog some wander some don't 

You can't generalise if your dogs ok off lead it's ok if it isn't it's not ok .

Only huskies I know who don't get off lead are club dogs and that's the truth 

And even some of those dogs go off lead at beach or the dog park 

Training wise do what works don't spend a fortune on behaviourists or trainers 

Who don't know your dog , you get to know your dog 

And act accordingly keeping it and others safe .

That's only advice I have my dogs go off lead recall is ok 

But if distracted forget it I know these limits ,

There's plenty of dogs with poor recall not just huskies 

Just be safety conscious basically .

Huskies in general have a worse recall then any other breed , even if trained , they are bred to run and with a high prey drive that is just disaster , you said yourself with distractions forget it , most other breeds with a poor recall is because they haven't been trained properly , with huskies it's down to the breed , of course it's each to their own and like u said people know their own dogs n even some that have been good for years bolt one day, is it REALLY worth the risk?

Our GSD who usually never leaves us when off lead a year ago got spooked, Noah who was on a lead was pulling cause he wanted to run over to some dogs he had spotted.  the other dogs started barking Bella (GSD), panicked and ran off,  Luckily it was really early in the morning and there was not much traffic.  She ran all the way back home to me I have never been so worried in my life I had no idea what had happened and why she had come back on her own.  It is amazing that she found her way home being blind... I thank god that she was safe and she is so amazing. 

My point in sharing this is that even other breeds can be unpredictable.  All you have to do is take your eyes of them for a min something to panic them.  Well I think my story speaks for its self. 

These dogs need freedom to run around and  I agree off lead is the best,  but they need to be able to do this safely for their sake. 

I would hate to be the person who accidently hit a dog that was running loose across a road, no matter what  reason I would feel like I was the guilty party... and be effected badly for a long time.

This all I am going to say on the subject.