Husky Ran Away Then Came Back? Off Lead Training?

nickyd

if you want to train her recall only, why not use 50 ft leads? that way you can have her back without an hour-long "catch me if you can" game in your grandparent's cornfield. However, just like the others, I would recommend against training her to walk off-lead. Too risky. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there!  :wave:   A young husky and a new addition will still rely on you as being the most important, safe thing around them which is likely why you'll find that she's been returning to you so far but don't be fooled into thinking that this will last.  Long story short, it won't.  Yes, huskies can hear and understand a recall command under normal circumstances.  The problem is that prey drive overrides EVERYTHING and if something rouses this in them then there's simply nothing you can do to stop it.  They become blind and deaf to everything other than the object they're persuing.  they can't respond to your commands because they  are no longer hearing them.   You can't train this out, it's instinctive.  Of course training an emergency situation recall in a safe, enclosed area is important as others have already mentioned.  To be honest, I kind of get the impression that you already know deep down that huskies are not to be trusted off lead, if you didn't then she wouldn't of been on a cable to go potty in the first place!  lol. 

so this mourning while i was in the shower i put sasha the 1 year old husky out on the cable to go potty. After i get out of the shower i relize she is gone after some panic i get clothes on and run outside before i get in my car i yell at the top of my lungs SASHA SASHA! Now i wait about 15 seconds and nothing then while im heading to my car i hear click click stomp stomp and one naughty husky running full speed around the curb back to the house and she ran right to the door! i was so happy i almost cried.

Then today i went to my grandpas out in the country left her leash on the collar but let go.

( please dont right negative comments i know its not smart but i want to train her for off lead) After some intense running around i called her while she was over 100 yards away and she came hauling @$$ all the way back to me with a smile on her face mind you i have had this dog for 5 days and it was being trained to be a SAR dog. But i find this incredibal that she has bonded this much with me and listens. I spent the next hour testing the waters with this puppy she would smell rabbits or squierrls but always come back when i called at grandpas that is.

I traveled up north a mile to my parents house ( they have outside dogs ) i let sasha go and she got on the smell of other dogs and would not listen to me at all.

I definately know the risk of this type of training but any tips would be appreciated as i think this dog does have it in her to be loyal and come back

I suggest for more information and affirmation to go to the SHCA[siberian Husky Club of America] www. shca.org .

I would think they know Siberians as well as anybody. They have been around since 1938. It is a VERY informative and interesting website.

Check out the tab "General Information" and Click "The Siberian Husky"

Ciao,,,,Roberto :D

Kira got out of her harness last Friday night and TOOK OFF!  She was running full tilt, but would stop every so often to look back to see if we were still there.  My wife, my dad, and myself spent the better part of an hour looking for her throughout the neighborhood.  I was terrified and literally in tears the entire time i was running through the neighborhood calling her name.  I finally get a phone call telling me that Kira was home on the bed waiting for us. 

Come to find out,  she had taken herself on the exact path we normally take on our walks.  She took herself on a run, came straight home, and was waiting outside our gate ready to come back inside. Our family was relieved, but still scared at the same time.  We took a look at her harness and decided the one we had was NEVER going to be used on Kira again.  Ever.  We went out the next day and bought a new harness, a choke collar, and my wife made a weighted vest for her.

I know some people don't like choke collars and I'm not a fan of them either, but my wife designed the harness/vest/collar so they work together to keep Kira IN her harness.  We spent close to $50 on a solid harness and a choke collar.  The vest was made from extra heavy duty fabric we had lying around the house.  We have 2 1/2 pounds of rice distributed evenly on each side of the vest.  In total, the vest weighs in at about 5 1/2 pounds, so it isn't a heavy pack or anything. 

So far, the new harness and vest have really corrected a lot of the bad behaviors she exhibited when walking.  No more pulling.  No more jerking.  No more silliness.  Just a smooth walk with her just a tad bit ahead of me. 

All in all, I got VERY lucky this past Friday with Kira.  I don't know why or what made her come straight home, but somehow she did.  I am in agreement with most of the members on here who tell you to never let your Husky off the leash.  From what I have heard and read, most Huskies take off for parts unknown and a lot never return.  From my own experience, I know Kira will NEVER be allowed off her leash ever.  Period.

Kira got out of her harness last Friday night and TOOK OFF!  She was running full tilt, but would stop every so often to look back to see if we were still there.  My wife, my dad, and myself spent the better part of an hour looking for her throughout the neighborhood.  I was terrified and literally in tears the entire time i was running through the neighborhood calling her name.  I finally get a phone call telling me that Kira was home on the bed waiting for us. 

Come to find out,  she had taken herself on the exact path we normally take on our walks.  She took herself on a run, came straight home, and was waiting outside our gate ready to come back inside. Our family was relieved, but still scared at the same time.  We took a look at her harness and decided the one we had was NEVER going to be used on Kira again.  Ever.  We went out the next day and bought a new harness, a choke collar, and my wife made a weighted vest for her.

I know some people don't like choke collars and I'm not a fan of them either, but my wife designed the harness/vest/collar so they work together to keep Kira IN her harness.  We spent close to $50 on a solid harness and a choke collar.  The vest was made from extra heavy duty fabric we had lying around the house.  We have 2 1/2 pounds of rice distributed evenly on each side of the vest.  In total, the vest weighs in at about 5 1/2 pounds, so it isn't a heavy pack or anything. 

So far, the new harness and vest have really corrected a lot of the bad behaviors she exhibited when walking.  No more pulling.  No more jerking.  No more silliness.  Just a smooth walk with her just a tad bit ahead of me. 

All in all, I got VERY lucky this past Friday with Kira.  I don't know how or whatmade her come straight home, but somehow she did.  I am in agreement with most of the members on here who tell you to never let your Husky off the leash.  From what I have heard and read, most Huskies take off for parts unknown and a lot never return.  From my own experience, I know Kira will NEVER be allowed off her leash ever again.  Period.

Oh no...glad she came back! I had a similar experience, Suka just took off.  A little while later, we got a phone call from the humane society and we were told he was a few streets down. I went to go pick him up, and learned their little boy attached a leash to him and Suka happily went with him to their house. So - he has zero loyalty...probably was just excited to meet new people. :rolleyes:

If the parents didn't take action and didn't bother to call, I would have lost my dog. 

Oh no...glad she came back! I had a similar experience, Suka just took off.  A little while later, we got a phone call from the humane society and we were told he was a few streets down. I went to go pick him up, and learned their little boy attached a leash to him and Suka happily went with him to their house. So - he has zero loyalty...probably was just excited to meet new people. :rolleyes:

If the parents didn't take action and didn't bother to call, I would have lost my dog. 

I am so glad your dog was found and the child was quick thinking enough to put a leash on him.  It is absolutely one of the most terrifying experiences to see your Husky take off and to not know if you will ever see them again.

I'm confident that if I let Storm off, he would probably come back 99% of the time. THAT'S WHY I DON'T. In that 1%, he could be hit by a car, or just run and get lost. I would never take that risk. When you form a bond with your husky you owe that much to him.

I would also say that life on the lead is all that Storm has ever known, so consequently his space awareness on the lead is the best of any dog I know. He will run full speed along side a path with street lights when hauling me on my bike, never going the wrong side. If he goes around a tree when I'm walking him, I only have to tell him "back round the tree" and he run back around the tree with no hesitation (and usually at full speed). Every other dog I've had has to think hard before coming back the "right" side. He plays with other dogs while on his extendable lead without getting too wrapped up, so I would say he is perfectly happy on the lead, with a little bike work thrown in for good measure.

"Come around!"  Yeh, sasha and I play that game too.  We'll go walking with her on the 100 foot lead and then I'll start to reel her in - normally after she's gotten the lead wrapped around a dozen bushes or so.  We did have some issues ( rephrase that *I* had some issues ) "Come here!" brings her to me ( some / most of the time ) but it took me figuring out that "come here" ignored the fact that she had the lead wrapped around things ... now I "reel her in" with "come here" and "come around" alternating. It finally took me realizing that she'd look back along the rope when I called "come here" as much as if to be saying "I would if i could, but I can't, stupid!"

And, yeh, she seems content on the lead - since she's been with me she hasn't known "real freedom"

I've never really trusted Panda offleash, and i would never let him off in the city. I have however let him off on a school field with a leash attached and I've always managed to keep his attention.

The one time i let him completely off was at the cottage in the woods. My friends were there and there were at least 8-9 dogs. Panda would wander really far and i got worried one time, but he came back. He always explored with another one of my friends dogs. Since the cottage i have noticed that he recalls almost 75% better at the dog park. 

Avalanche and I have this deal ... and remember Avalanche is an Alaskan Husky, not a Sibe, so I have no real idea what his genetic makeup is ... we'll go out, him on foot, me in the jeep and we'll go down the road (again, remember where I live, there's no traffic on my road) I'll go down - oh say a mile, letting him set the pace - then it's time for a water break and and offer to let him ride home.  More often then not, when I turn the jeep around, he's heading home; so he gets a good two to four mile run and (this is the great part) he stays on the road, either beside or in front of the jeep ( with PLENTY of room! ), comes home and he's out of it for the rest of the day.

I watch close to make sure he's okay, not got his tongue hanging all the way out, but when he slows down I stop to let him get a drink and decide what he's going to do.  We had a jackrabbit run across the road in front of him one day, he bounced into the brush and - I guess - decided running with me was more fun than chasing the rabbit.

*HE* has been excellent about staying close and coming back when I yell (after a run) but there's no way I'd just open the door and let either of them out to run like I did Misty - burned once, twice shy!!

• 1 year later...

hey sasha is doing good about 4 months ago my parents let her go and she was lost for 4 days.... she came back though thank God. Otherwise when she is intentially let go by me she just chases cows and comes back when I eventually get her.

hey sasha is doing good about 4 months ago my parents let her go and she was lost for 4 days.... she came back though thank God. Otherwise when she is intentially let go by me she just chases cows and comes back when I eventually get her.

oh no :( I'm very, very glad to hear she came back home safe and sound! I'd say no more off leash time then :(

Wow you're very lucky she came back , I wouldn't let her chase cows either what happens if one decides to kick her that could be fatal , and if it's farmers cows they have the right to shoot anything worrying their livestock including dogs , think it's best she's kept on a lead now

there was no luck involved. I was not even there, she was tied up outside and broke her leash when my parents were baby sitting.

?? confuseled right now but could be me....

and if she did come back after 4 days there is a tonne of luck imo...

Please be aware.

This is from Iowa Law Statutes.

• Popular Title:  Dog Laws
  • Primary Citation:  IA ST 351.1 - .43
  • Last Checked:  December, 2013
Summary:

These Iowa statutes comprise the state's dog laws.  With regard to damage done by dogs and dog bites, the owner of a dog shall be liable to an injured party for all damages done by the dog, when the dog is caught in the action of worrying, maiming, or killing a domestic animal, or the dog is attacking or attempting to bite a person, except when the party damaged is doing an unlawful act, directly contributing to the injury.  Further, the law states that it shall be the duty of the owner of any dog, cat or other animal which has bitten or attacked a person or any person having knowledge of such bite or attack to report this act to a local health or law enforcement official.  The section also contains general rabies vaccination provisions and a prohibition on dogs running at large (results in impoundment).

351.26. Right and duty to kill untagged dog

It shall be lawful for any person, and the duty of all peace officers within their respective jurisdictions unless such jurisdiction shall have otherwise provided for the seizure and impoundment of dogs, to kill any dog for which a rabies vaccination tag is required, when the dog is not wearing a collar with rabies vaccination tag attached.

CREDIT(S)

Amended by Acts 1961 (59 G.A.) ch. 193, § 9; Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 33.

351.27. Right to kill tagged dog

It shall be lawful for any person to kill a dog, wearing a collar with a rabies vaccination tag attached, when the dog is caught in the act of chasing, maiming, or killing any domestic animal or fowl, or when such dog is attacking or attempting to bite a person.
CREDIT(S) 

Amended by Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 34; Acts 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1.

HISTORICAL AND STATUTORY NOTES

Which means that if your dog is chasing cows the farmer is fully within his rights to shoot your dog.

Please don't take any more chances with your dogs life and keep it leashed.

Our first Husky, Elke, came from a farm area in Eastern Iowa. Her Husky Dad was shot and killed by a farmer, as her Husky Dad stood blood-soaked, over the calf he just killed. He had killed three or four calves in the area over a two week period. Only took one bullet by one farmer. And that was right here in IOWA!

To see the dog, by all accounts, he was normal, loving, playful, but an escape artist as most all Huskies are. He was getting out at night, and wreaking havoc on cattle, and it finally caught up with him.

I am honestly sooo tempted to take mine to a big open park and just drop the leash and let them run around - but I don't. Because they're Huskies. When you decide to own one of these dogs you are also deciding that having them on a leash at all times isn't going to be a big deal to you. Some breeders will even make you sign a contract agreeing that you will not allow your Husky to be off-leash. Our Cara has gotten out THREE times! We've never waited long enough to see if she comes back, we bolt right out the door that she escaped from. We live on a highway and she has crossed it once in the 3 times she's escaped and LUCKILY did not get hit. Lucky for me a few of my neighbors have dogs and that's usually the first thing she goes for is other dogs. I don't even think to grab a leash before I go get her, I just carry her back with me.

The stress and the worry and the near-heart attacks just aren't worth off-leashing.

how old is she..?

if she react on food, give her favorite treats when she come when called and even when she comes but you didnt call, praise her and reward her every time..

and can you write more about her doing the SAR work?  we have a topic here about that..