Adopting husky (possibly mix), right crate size?

kenobi7910

First of all, hello everyone!

We're adopting one of the sled dogs from the recent rescue in Quebec, Canada (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091117/dogs_rescued_091117/20091117?hub=Canada). The current rescue agency he is with believes he is either a pure bread husky or possibly a husky/malamute mix due to slightly closer ear positioning, and a slightly longer coat than your average husky. They also said he is about 60lbs and 1-2 years old. We're trying to figure out which crate size would be best for him. I thought I'd put the question to the experts. I've read either a 42" crate or 36" crate. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for the replies :)

Hi, kenobi7910, welcome to the forum, for a start! :D

We read that horrific story, it's on our board somewhere, unbelievable & well done you for being able to help out :)

All I would suggest is, the biggest you can get, the better! He's gonna need room to stretch & turn around. My female is about 48 lb (23 kg) & she has more than enough room in a 42" crate which we've had her in since a pup & now she is 4 yrs old. I wouldn't get any smaller for him :D

Hope this helps

Ive got a malamute and husky mix as well and it depends on how tall they are. Mine has a 32L by i think 21.5 H, or something like that and he fits in there quite comfortably. If you are getting a plastic crate Id go with the 36L though, as its narrower and is built differently. Mines a metal, foldable crate. I have to replace the tray now but my dog is 65-70 pounds and he does just fine with the metal 32L crate size. If you want him to have extra room go for the 36L in the metal crate as well. Chewy has a good 1.5 inches around him when he lays down in his crate and a good 2 inches extra room when he stands, so his head doesnt touch the top, even though its the 32 inch long crate and not the 36.

Hi and welcome to the pack!!

That's great that you're rescuing one of them ! :) You'll have to keep us posted as to how you get on :)

I'd say a nice big crate 42 + dpends as well how long he's gonna be in there for as well mine sleep in theirs at night so I got a bigger one as as possible so that they can squish around in the night :)

Can't wait to see some pics of your new found friend :)