Deleted

jmscott

I did some research on this and it looks like it was not a "law" that was passed, but rather that APHIS, which was created in 1972, revised the definition of a "retail pet store" to address the issue on online breeders, since some were selling puppies without the buyer even seeing the pup.  This was not congress that passed it, rather than the agency making regulatory changes.  The full context of the changes can be found here:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/2013/09/retail_pet_final_rule.shtml

I am kind of confused.  Where did you see it makes the law very broad?  from what I read on the USDA website is that it does the opposite.  It was because people were breeding and selling puppies online, and they did not have to conform to the same standards as brick and motar stores.  Since the agency was created before the internet it never caught up with the times.  All it did was update the meaning of "pet stores" to include online businesses.  I don't see where ethical breeders are affected, those breeders are already inspected by the USDA. 

I am not sure why we would not be able to keep dogs in our own home either.  That change had nothing to do with dog owners.  Unless we are not talking about the same agency.

Yes, this has already been a law. but they have made it very broad now and its to the point where ethical breeders won't be able to afford it. Not to mention we won't be able to keep our dogs in our own home.

Q. Will regulated breeders who keep their dogs in 
their homes have to put them in a kennel?
A. Generally not. The AWA regulations defi ne a 
“primary enclosure†to mean any structure or device 
used to restrict animals to a limited amount of space—
which means that a home can be considered a dog’s 
primary enclosure. If a room of a house is used as a 
dog’s primary enclosure (for instance, a whelping room 
or nursery), AWA regulations and standards apply to 
that room. 
 However, if a dog breeder allows his or her dogs to 
have free run of the entire house, we have to determine 
whether the home can house the animals within AWA 
standards. If the breeder has a kennel or cages that 
the dogs can stay in inside the home that meet AWA 
standards, the breeder has satisfi ed the primary 
enclosure requirements. A number of currently licensed 
wholesale breeders maintain their animals in their 
homes.

The dog can still be in the house, but there should be kennels in the home as well....