welcome on board :D if you're interested in working Nanook, you might want to try running him on a sled or a scooter. This breed suits that job better IMO... Agility sounds a bit too hard for such a stubborn dog :lol: but hey what do I know? good luck and congratulations on your first husky pup! :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to having a husky pup!!!  I didn't sleep much when I got Nikko either.  Now I have 3 lol.

He is a handsome pup too!  And it's never too early for training ;)  I took 2 of mine to training classes at PetSmart and learned alot.  They teach sit, stay, stand, come when called in the first classes.

He has to finish his shots before i can take him to classes lol carrying him around to go pick a collar and get a tag and visit hi vet(banfeid) was okay but this risk for parvo is way to high in Texas right now. I have a question. :3 Nanook weighs 9 pounds right now and is 7 weeks old. How big might he be by my birthday? Thats december 22nd. :) I want him to be HUGE when he grows up!

We share the same birthday! :D

At 7 1/2 weeks my Yukon weighed about 10lbs, and he is not about 47lbs.  Nikko, however was 16lbs at 10 weeks old and he is about 56lbs now.  Breed standard for a Husky is 45-60lbs for males and 35-50lbs for females.  You might be thinking of Malamutes, which average about 85lbs for males and 75lbs for females

Cool! :P and quite possibly. We really do hope he reaches the high end of the husky weight range. We wanted a sweet beautiful dog big enough to intimidate people. 

I actually have a couple questions though. One,since i am the one home all of the time i have taken on most of the responsibilty of caring for him. Will he become more attatched to me than the rest of my family? He bites them all but never me. 

Second, this is a bit awkward but is it normal for such a young puppy to go potty several times before being ready to come inside after he eats?

AKC  standard is 70-90lbs for a male. And irregardless he will be huge to me im 5'0" and 120lbs lol

AKC is American Kennel Club.

Standard for Siberian Huskies:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/index.cfm

• "Ranging in size from 20 to 23 ½ inches tall at the shoulder and 35 to 60 pounds."

I'm not sure what breeder you got him from, but if they told you standard huskies are 90 pounds that is way off. If they aren't a reputable breeder that shows or works their dogs, their particular dogs may be 70-90 pounds due to breeding larger dogs and not staying within the standard, but as it is written by the AKC huskies should not exceed 60 pounds.

It's always important to do your own research too so if you're getting information from your breeder I'd be looking into other sources :)

If you spend the most time with him, then most likely he will become more "attached" to you, however most huskies are more independent.  I say most because there are always the exceptions lol.  But he should not be biting anyone.  If he is I would put a stop to it by a firm NO or stop paying attention.  You can address that with your trainer.

And yes, it is quite normal for them to potty multiple times per day.  Puppies have small bladders and will have to go frequently.  However, if the pup is going several times an hour and just going a little, then I would keep an eye out for symptoms of a urinary tract infection. 

Cool! :P and quite possibly. We really do hope he reaches the high end of the husky weight range. We wanted a sweet beautiful dog big enough to intimidate people. 

I actually have a couple questions though. One,since i am the one home all of the time i have taken on most of the responsibilty of caring for him. Will he become more attatched to me than the rest of my family? He bites them all but never me. 

Second, this is a bit awkward but is it normal for such a young puppy to go potty several times before being ready to come inside after he eats?

Welcome! Beautiful pup :)

Get training ASAP, they're a very stubborn breed, but it's worth the effort once trained :)

And contrary to popular (as in, not dog people) belief, they aren't a big breed, they're medium/large at biggest, and they'll have growth spurts all the way up until about 2 years old :)

Also, don't worry about the runs, our 2 girls have awful stomach problems, Nika has IBS and Asha can't eat a biscuit too many or else she'll risk getting EXPLOSIVE diarrhoea! But Damian is iron-clad, so it just depends, get a sensitive puppy food just in case if the runs carry on :)

- Caity

Welcome! Beautiful pup :)

Get training ASAP, they're a very stubborn breed, but it's worth the effort once trained :)

And contrary to popular (as in, not dog people) belief, they aren't a big breed, they're medium/large at biggest, and they'll have growth spurts all the way up until about 2 years old :)

Also, don't worry about the runs, our 2 girls have awful stomach problems, Nika has IBS and Asha can't eat a biscuit too many or else she'll risk getting EXPLOSIVE diarrhoea! But Damian is iron-clad, so it just depends, get a sensitive puppy food just in case if the runs carry on :)

- Caity

Sorry just gotta say funny how you explain each one made me chuckle :)