Do Huskys Work With Sheep??

Chrissy6x

Never heard of it before and due to their prey drive n hearing plenty of stories of offlead huskies killing sheep I wouldn't recommend it , there was someone on here a while ago who had their huskies offlead n went n chased some cows n nearly got kicked in the head - could have ended really badly for the dog :-(

Personally I can't picture it, huskies are bred to run but not herding, all I can picture is mayhem of a husky running accross a field of sheep

Not to mention their prey drive, especially with young lambs.

It'd be good to get him used to being around the sheep but I would never let him off around them :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmmn.  If your asking like Frenchie already said about herding then probably not, the tendency to nom on the sheep will probably get in the way.  If your asking as in will your pup become desensitized to them then it's a little more in the grey area.  My gut reaction is that your little one may be ok for a while but once they start running it would be quite likely that this would ignite the prey drive in a husky and "mmmn, lamb chops!"  Not so good if your pets eating your livestock!  lol.

i would keep him on a lead or long line at all times if u can if u want him out n about with you whilst attending to the animals on your farm ,, however just be aware that if he grows up with them and is fine with them it doesnt necessarily mean that he will always be ok with them , its a risk you have to take n hopefully if his prey drive kicks in n gets the better of him , he doesnt get blamed for potentially hurting/killing one of them 

What are you talking about, huskies LOVE sheep :hehe: :sheep:  , love to eat them that is.

On a serious note, maybe if they lived with them from the early puppyhud they'd probably see them as friends, similar to how they can get a long with the cats. But, just like with cats, I'm guessing it would only be your sheep, the ones he's familiar with, that would be safe. The unknowns would be free food.

Just my opinion!

While not the same breed, all the instincts are the same - when I was a kid (13 if I remember right) we were gifted with a Samoyed because we lived in the country and the dog had already pulled down one of the supports on the previous owners porch.  He was fine out waling with me, but one night he got free and killed two sheep and maimed two others who had to be put down.  Needless to say, he also had to be put down.

The sheep were in the pasture next to where we lived and, as I said, he'd be fine as long as I was out with him, he didn't even seem to see them - but that one occurrence ...

• 2 years later...

I really want a husky but I live on a farm. I do have other dogs and they are good. I believe you should get a couple of goats. As goats will stick up for themselves unlike sheep! A few head butts to the pup might put fear into him and he may realise not to go to near them. Just a thought. Good luck.

I would agree remembering the 2 huskies that attacked 6 sheep near me last year...they now have to wear muzles all the time when outside the house, even in the owners garden...

I know it is slightly different but my Marley has been brought up with cats and hens  -  whilst I am out with him he is good around the hens,  looks but doesn't try to touch  -  however when I was away last week a couple of hens got out and one had to be extricated from his jaws  - still alive thankfully - but is missing quite a few feathers where it appears he was trying to get rid of them before chomping down.

Marley is 10 months old.

It's entirely possible that a Husky could 'work' with sheep but I wouldn't recommend it.  My dog is on the milder end of the old prey drive and occasionally gets thrashed by the local cats but I wouldn't let him anywhere near sheep. 

Not just Huskys either - two local dogs recently killed 80 sheep (yep 80).  Owner fined but so was the farmer who caught the dogs tied them up and shot them.  

• 2 years later...

My beautiful boy Oscar , a husky/kelpie   had never been around sheep my partner got 5 after I told him not to get sheep as  Oscar would chase them , he had trouble with him wanting to chase them , well one day when we was at work Oscar got into the sheep and maulded one !  Oscar was such a wonderful gentle dog and was the best dog I had ever had , loved people so much , well poor Oscar got shot because of the sheep , so sad his prey instinct kicked in and he could run and fast , so distraught , so never get sheep with a husky it’s a accident waiting to happen and disaster at the end .😢I loved Oscar so much . 

Archived