Shock Collars?

okay I can't help it. I was ready to leave this topic but this one thing just kept disturbing my mind. Last comment from me:

With all due respect, Bec I think you need to loosen up a bit... This is a forum. People agree and disagree all the time. I do appreciate your views regarding the use of shock collars, and I also understand where you're coming from, but as you can see people have various views. Some disagree with the use of such tools, but that doesn't mean you have to jump in right away and "correct" them. Some discussions get real heated up because of that IMO because people don't like being corrected/told what's right. I'm sure that's not what you're trying to do but it came across that way. I know this is a very controversial topic and I can see that it means a lot to you, but every time such topic comes up you always defend your opinions this way. And... I don't want to talk like I represent the whole community, but it sorta causes discomfort to us. I think you should respect the fact that people have differing opinions. Sure, some uses words that came across rather harsh, but I'm sure nobody is trying to insult you by saying they don't support the use of shock collars. They just.... well, don't support the use of shock collars. 

That's all I want to say. No intention to upset anyone. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can saying "anyone who so much as thinks of using using tools is not fit to own a dog" not be considered directly insulting? I have no problem with anyone who says they don't personally like the tool but I don't think it's right that people attack and personally insult anyone who does support the tool, or post blatant misinformation about the way the tool works. Most if not all of these people have no direct experience using e collars.

I've been a member of this community for many years and I have always tried never to resort to personally insulting anyone. I can't say the same for other members.

I don't have much time for posting on forums anymore but I guess I have a bit of sentimental value for this forum.

However I think the time has come to step away. This will be my last post here. I'm sure many of you will be relieved :)

Just an idea,  maybe the forum could set up something like ,  message these following people about  this type of prong collar,   and message these people for E collar, and so on and so on, that way a person could get good info on the collar they are looking for and not this back and forth info that may just mix them up even more. 

I know we all know how subjects are HOT to some ,  and the owners of Husky Owners know what always end up heated and putting something like this type of listing at the main link, it would help to guide people to help their dogs. 

just a thought , hope it helps

Bob

How can saying "anyone who so much as thinks of using using tools is not fit to own a dog" not be considered directly insulting? I have no problem with anyone who says they don't personally like the tool but I don't think it's right that people attack and personally insult anyone who does support the tool, or post blatant misinformation about the way the tool works. Most if not all of these people have no direct experience using e collars.

I've been a member of this community for many years and I have always tried never to resort to personally insulting anyone. I can't say the same for other members.

I don't have much time for posting on forums anymore but I guess I have a bit of sentimental value for this forum.

However I think the time has come to step away. This will be my last post here. I'm sure many of you will be relieved :)

So long as you only moving away from this thread :)

Its not the sentimental value its me I know ;)

Once again I'm going to be careful how I tread, because I could easily step on peoples toes.  So far, all things considered, this has been one of the best threads regarding shock collars.  It's gotten a bit warm at times, some things have been said that are "uncomfortable" and I agree that some things have been downright rude. 

We all feel strongly about our "kids in fur" that's why we have them; but we all, also, know that there are sometimes behaviours that are beyond acceptable. When that happens we go looking for ways to correct that behaviour.  Most of our problems here are fairly simple, fairly straightforward - but sometimes they're not.  Look at the dogs who have been rehomed recently because their owners couldn't correct their unacceptable behaviour.  Thankfully all of those seem to be doing well in their new homes. (( and thanks guys for giving the chance!! It's a difficult choice to make. ))

When push comes to shove, we'll do almost anything to help our pets; each of us has limits that we find acceptable.  That my choice and yours may not be the same is, in the long run, inconsequential.  You make the choices for your pets, I make the choices for mine - and regardless of the tool that's used, if it achieves the desired results without harm, then we're the better for it.

Kassandra:  Thank you for your thoughtful response.  You asked a question and got the answer that was appropriate for you.  Isn't that why we're all really here? 

Bec:  I hate to see you leave this thread; even worse, I would hate to see you leave the forum.  Like me, you sometimes come across as very direct - but that's not really bad when it causes others to stop and think. 

Regrettably, this is one of those topics where people see only their generally well behaved pet, not the animal who's gotten to the point of "fix it or put it down".  If you all (er, generic "you") remember the problems I had with Sasha when I brought her home - it had reached that point.  I was *not* going to pass a biter on to anyone else.  We, eventually, were able to figure out what the problem was (her food aggression / possessiveness) and it's mostly a thing of the past.  But there were some serious times where I was thinking the best solution was to take her for a walk with my pistol.   "Fix it or put it down" is not a decision to make lightly and if I were somewhere where a shock collar would be the best tool to help fix (and I had the experienced person to guide me) then - at that point - it would become a consideration.

To those who abhor them - don't let your dislike for the potential of the tool colour your thinking of that potential.  There may come a day, heaven forbid, when something that direct is needed.

And with that, I shall lock the thread, before things get heated up again.

I hope you have gotten some good information about shock collars, Kassandra. If you have any more questions about them, please don't hesitate to email a moderator. We will provide you with some websites we believe illustrates the shock collar in the most neutral and true light.