The Snip

sean276

Pros = 
1. Zero chance of testicular cancer (yes, dogs do get this). 
2. Greatly reduced chance of prostate problems. 
3. Cannot contribute to the massive pet overpopulation problem. 
4. Greatly reduced desire to roam. 
5. Greatly reduced desire to mark territory (I personally hate having to stop every 5 feet on a walk to let a male pee on everything). 
6. Greatly reduced chance of aggressive behavior (especially if neutered early, 6 months or so). 

Cons = 
1. None, really. Neutering does not make an animal fat and lazy. Overfeeding and lack of exercise does. Feed the proper amount of a high quality food and let the dog run after a ball, take it for walks, etc. every day, and you won't have that problem. 
That notion comes from the fact that many animals are spayed/neutered as they are leaving puppyhood and thus are naturally calming down anyway.

The chances of osteosarcoma (bone cancers) increase with neutering, as well as ligament injuries. But there are benefits as well. The biggest thing is taking a good hard look at your own ability to control an intact dog. Are you willing to know when the neighbor's bitch goes into heat every season? Can you keep him away from other people with intact females that are NOT keeping them responsibly? 

Plenty of breeders keep intact animals together, so its not impossible, you just need to consider if you want to put in the additional work.

http://www.skeptvet.com/index.php?p=1_23_Benefits-Risks-of-Neutering

If you can, a better alternative to the traditional spay/neuter is tubal ligation and canine vasectomies. But they are not widely practiced and a it can be difficult to find a vet willing to do the procedure.

As far as I know that doesn't reduce the actual hormones and the will to mate. I know this is done for wolves in captivity so it doesn't mess up their hormones (and thus their order). They will still mate, but simply can't reproduce.

Around here I've seen a lot of people mentioning chemical castration lately. It basically yields the same result as an actual castration except for it being reversible (and therefore a good option for people who aren't 100% sure about it yet).

But in your case if you don't want to stud them, there's not really a reason to keep him intact other then 'for the idea' or the cost.

Depends. Females going through a heat will often lose hair. Nana started getting back her winter coat but lost half of it when she went into heat. The coat shouldn't be that different though. It should still be a good weatherproof coat no matter intact or not.

Thanks Jaimie,

I will be getting the snip done when the time comes but was just intrigued by this.