Malamutes And Rabbits

Hey everybody,

Maybe you could give me some advise on this situation I'm having at the moment...

Yesterday, one of my bunnies died unfortunately... Even more unfortunate is that the

other one is now alone.. Which I think is terrible.. They always had the backyard for

themselves, but I don't want to leave her there alone. So.. Now I was thinking to get

her a cage for inside the house and have her inside so she wouldn't be so alone.

There's only one little problem.. Our beloved husky malamute Elai.. It was just a stupid

little mistake to not let him get used to the bunnies when he was a pup. I guess because

he didn't have anything to do with them anyway. The rabbits were in the backyard and

the dog in the field in front of our house. But I would really like to have our dog and the

rabbit to get along a little.

Do any of you have experience with huskies or malamutes and rabbits together? And could any of

you perhaps give me some tips on how to get him to get used to the bunny?

I have no idea on what he would do to the rabbit. I brought them into the house sometimes

and he thought they were VERY interesting ofcourse. But he didn't charge at them or

wanted to bite them or anything.

So.. I hope you guys don't think I'm crazy for wanting this to happen and I hope some of you

could help me or give me any advise on this :)

Thank you in advance!

Greetz,

Brendy, Elai and bunny Rascal

He's never in the garden with them, He loves watching them through the window but doesn't go crazy or anything. If I took the inside in my arms he would want to get close to the bunny and sniff it. But he doesn't want to bite it or kill it I think.

Hidden

I would discourage interaction between them. It is not safe for the rabbit. Sniffing can be a precursor to the kill. If he has a very focused stare on the rabbit, that can be predatory.

Even Nana, who is good with cats, is praised when she ignores them. 

I know how our boy reacts around rabbits at the pet store and although he looks and sounds like he wants to play with them I think he and I have very different views of how that play would be! I agree that if you are going to have the rabbit in the house then they should be supervised at all times as it would only take a few seconds for things to turn nasty for the rabbit if the mood took Elai. Maybe a new bunny would be better :)

Personally I wouldn't dream of letting a loose rabbit with a loose husky/malamute in the same room, even if I am there, it can only take a second for things to turn nasty without having time to react.

Perhaps you could get a new bunny and carry on as before? I agree that rabbits shouldn't be alone, I know quite a few rescues that look for new homes for their rabbits with a neutered male/female

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

yeah.. a bunnies skin is not so fond of the playfull little lovebites from a malamutes teeth.. And I would never forgive myself if anything happens to her. I would love to get her a new friend, but my mom doesn't want to have any more rabbits. And soon I'll start living on my own and that means I can't take my bunnies, which leaves them at my moms, who doesn't wany any pets etc. etc. So the best thing is to find her a new owner who ownes a bunny already I gues...

Thanks for replyng you guys!

• 1 year later...

Just come across this... I love my wabbits I love my dogs.  But never ever will they be out at the same time time.... Had a bad experience when Noah was supposed be in the  house, Evie met Noah and lets just say  because Noah knows them.  No harm done... but ..... Evie was so lucky.. P.s He loves their straw.... and their droppings.... ewwwww

I can't believe I'm reading this post!  Seriously how can you even think about mixing a rabbit with a Malamute or husky?  Being the owner of both breeds of dog I can honestly say that both of mine would be after Mr Bunny in a heart beat.  It is in their genetics to hunt and kill small animals for survival and no matter how well you train your dog it is always going to be a huge risk!

I would definately not let them meet!

Even though Noah and Bella have been brought up with them I would never deliberately let them meet without a suitably strong mesh and frame...  Noah and Bella have no interest in the hutches and Asher (our come visit Husky) was fascinated but the G pigs,  but now ignores them..

We did have a husky visit who was determined to get in the Hutches but she soon left as they could see her prey drive was intense... bless them.

Noah see's a Rabbit out walking his prey drive is intense to.  I'm not sure why he has such a lack of interest in our bunnies... could it be he sees them as members of the pack, abet  very low ones..... any ideas...

Luna and Skye pay little attention to 'Brer' now that his hutch, (and run), are located in a slightly larger garden and even when the entire 'pack' are allowed outside, (on their own), they do not give our rabbit a second glance, (even if he is in the run), although I must point out that the run is fully enclosed!

But, when we let 'Brer' out for a run, (round the garden), all four dogs will line up at the conservatory window and watch avidly whilst 'Brer' runs and plays with scant disregard to the four onlookers!

I would never trust any of my dogs with 'Brer', however, as I suspect that the prey drive would easily overcome any previous bonding, (that may have occurred when they were all younger), and even if the dogs simply tried to 'play' then the consequences would still be dire as all of our dogs play rough!!

All of my dogs have also had a close relationship with our, (rescue), Hedgehogs and I would suspect that our Hedgehogs would stand a better chance of survival than that of the rabbit.

Incidentally we 'acquired' our rabbit, (two years ago), when I was looking for a large run for our Hedgehogs - the run was cheap and it came with a hutch - and a Rabbit!