How Long Did It Take To Toilet Train Your Husky?

We've had our dog a week now, every time he wees or poos we put him outside but he still doesnt seem to know why were doing it as he will pee on the kitchen floor even when sat right next to the open door to the garden. We do praise him when he does go outside.

He seems to pee on the paper we set down for him, but its diffferent when he does a number 2 of which he usually misses the paper.

I know its only been a week but was just wondering how long this will take to correct? and any other tips on how to speed the process along

Cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, you have to be in charge of the training. Don't expect anything to happen by itself. This pup is too young to be away from Mummy, she would have helped if he had been left with her until at least 8 weeks. So, that being said, this is what you have to do.

Within the first 5 minutes of waking up, put him out to a specific pee spot, wait and praise, of course. Within 5 minutes of eating or drinking take him out to the spot, praise. Watch him like a hawk when in the house, you should probably restrict his areas for a while. He will want to "go" what feels like every 15 minutes to you. Never sleep again for the next few months, lol and you should be trained by then, lol!

First off, you have to be in charge of the training. Don't expect anything to happen by itself. This pup is too young to be away from Mummy, she would have helped if he had been left with her until at least 8 weeks. So, that being said, this is what you have to do.

Within the first 5 minutes of waking up, put him out to a specific pee spot, wait and praise, of course. Within 5 minutes of eating or drinking take him out to the spot, praise. Watch him like a hawk when in the house, you should probably restrict his areas for a while. He will want to "go" what feels like every 15 minutes to you. Never sleep again for the next few months, lol and you should be trained by then, lol!

LOL thanks for the advice I have noticed sleep has sort of took a backward step in place of Zach. Although I never knew owning a husky would be this hard I am willing to put all the effort in that's required.

Some good advice and Ideas on this forum, glad i Joined will put some pics up soon.

Shadow took around 2 months maybe a little longer but he soon would start sitting by the door when he wanted to go out! Suki only took a month really but does have the occasional accident if I don't open the door for a while! Very rare though and more my fault than hers! Lol

why tell him off for weeing in the house that wont help hes only a puppy. I bought puppy pads but that can get expensive so I used paper, my husky was a rescue and wasn't house trained we kept putting the paper by the back door but he kept going to the front we couldn't understand why, we then found out he had been living in a flat so obviously only one door  so we put paper everywhere are slowly moved it closer to the back door but at the same time letting him outside as often as possible, everytime we opened the door we would say wee wee time in a happy voice he soon got the hang of it. I think we were lucky because he was trained in 3 weeks.  when your dog does go toilet outside give him loads of praise he we soon learn always use a happy voice, rather than be negative when he does it in the house it might be best to say nothing at all just pick him up and put him outside. good luck with this don't loose heart he will learn and you will get some sleep

we've only had one of ours since a pup (the others were rescues) and she was really easy to train, within a matter of weeks. Loads of happy praise when he goes outside, if he has an accident inside, remove him from the room & clean it up, no shouting etc. Take him out often after eating, waking, playing etc to the same spot, he'll soon get the message

You have already gotten some great advice, it will take a lot of time, and A LOT of patience!  My first dog, Nikko took about 3 -4 months to fully potty train!  It was a nightmare LOL.  Not so much for the number 2, but for peeing in the house it took awhile.  

First, you want to take the pup outside every 30 minutes when he's awake.  Also, about 5 minutes after eating or drinking, and immediately after playtime.  I noticed that when Nikko was little he would run around and play and almost immediately he would stop and pee.  So you have to watch them like a hawk!  About 2 hours before bedtime take away the water and then right before bedtime make sure he goes potty outside.  Then, you will probably have to get up every 2-4 hours to take him outside.  The overnight thing should get better quickly though.  I only had to do that with Nikko for a few weeks before he was able to make it from 10pm until about 5am without having to go outside.

You never want to yell at them after the fact, ONLY if you catch them in the act, and then a loud NO will suffice and immediately take them outside to their potty area. Also, what helps is if you hang a bell from the door and ring it everytime you go out, and then they will learn to ring the bell when they have to potty.  I didn't use this technique, but others that have said it works great.

Also, make sure you clean up accidents VERY well, and use a special cleaner for pet urine.  Using regular cleaner will not work, and they will sniff out and continue to pee in that same spot.  

He is a little too young, but he will learn eventually!  Each pup is different too, some learn quickly and others take a long time.  My second pup, Yukon only took a few weeks to potty train.

Good luck, and can't wait to see pics!

I guess we were blessed with Zoya. She only took a few weeks. On average, a pup can hold about 1 hour for each month of age. Now that's an aversge and not a fast rule. With Zoya, who was 9 weeks old when we got her, we took her out once an hour. At night, she was crated and I got up every 2 hours to take her out. When she messed in the house, I dimply picked her up and took her outside while my wife cleaned the problem up. It is a full time job to potty train a dog. You have to be proactive and not passive. There will be days when progress is made and days when things go in reverse order. Good luck and keep focused.

Panda was potty trained fairly quickly 3 weeks to a month. I read a lot on here and i kept a close eye on him, i also restricted him to one living room. So if he did have an accident i would know where it is instead of stepping on it lol. First month was stressful, having to wake up every 2 hours or so to take him out during the night.

Well I wrote this topic today because i was getting to the point where I didn't know if what I was doing was right but about an hour ago we finally had success! The little wolf went outside all on his own and went for a tiddle. He did this about half an hour later too and to say i was extremely happy would be an understatement!

Just wondering if hes finally got it now or can I still expect a few nasty accidents then and again?

The girls were very quick but ice took a few months. He still has the odd accident overnight when he forgets to go toilet when we let him out before bed. This weeks been particularly bad due to the hot weather, he's playing at night instead of pooping. Every night he's had an accident. Little sod, lol.

Oh yes there will be accidents lol. I had times where I thought he got it and was excited and then he'd have another accident. I would say that mine were at least 6 months old before I was confident that they weren't going to have any regular accidents, although each of mine went months without any accidents and then around 9 mos old they had another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I trained one with puppy pads and one dog without. Shadow i trained with.... took till he was 6 months old to be fully trained. Skye i trained without and with the set taking out every hour, after food, after play etc she was fully trained by 4 months old :) difference was though with Skye i had my own house with Shadow i was at my ex's parents house so i didn't really have much choice.

So what i am saying is if you can do your best to be taking pup out after food, sleep, play etc praise praise praise outside. Also set an alarm through the night. I also crate trained at the same time which does help to prevent accidents. I know your saying about your uncle but surely getting pup trained quicker is better so that there are no accidents?

Also their bladders are not that great when they are pups they cant hold it for to long. I dont know how old your pup is but just bear that in mind :)

Also dont punish the pup, ignore the accidents and the bad and praise the good :)

my two took for ever, well that's how it felt, cant actually tell you how long cause cant remember :)

pups cant hold it for  great amount of time, but you'll soon learn the signs of when he is about to go, and learn what his limits are.

Sounds like he is going to be a bright spark...id keep an eye on him if I was you lmao he'll be training you soon :D

• 3 weeks later...

Im having a major issue training Jack to wake me up when he has to go out during the night hes just not getting it for some reason and since hes in his crate most of the day while Im at work so I don't want to crate him when Im home I just need to figure out how to teach him to wake me up when he has to go

Im having a major issue training Jack to wake me up when he has to go out during the night hes just not getting it for some reason and since hes in his crate most of the day while Im at work so I don't want to crate him when Im home I just need to figure out how to teach him to wake me up when he has to go

how old is Jack? :) 

haven't responded yet so guess I'm gonna put up my experience :)

Diamond came sorta potty-trained. He knows that walkies means time to go potty but he doesn't know that "going" inside the house is not allowed. Because of this misconception it took me FOREVER to potty-train him. Even now I won't trust him loose inside the house unsupervised through the night. He's always chained (inside the house) at night-times because I just know I'm gonna find puddles under the chair. But every other training he mastered it in a heartbeat. Weird dog  :lol:

I think that until he is fully potty trained, you might need to keep him in the crate at night. From the picture in your avatar, he still looks really young. The other option would be to set times when you take him out in the middle of the night so that you get him to potty before he has an accident, then keep pushing the time between outside trips a little longer. Also, make sure to take up water an hour or so before you want him to go to bed.